• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piper Jaffray reports on "bad" NPD Numbers

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/19/news_6110863.html

Microsoft tried to buy the NPD :O ... and got caught!

LOL. Expect good numbers for Fable w/ a 446% increase if the M$ numbers were right

Analysts: September sales up 44 percent…maybe

Piper Jaffray reports NPD numbers indicate strong September sales, but bad data means numbers aren't accurate.

Industry analysts at Piper Jaffray reported today that the NPD numbers for the month of September have been released, but that errors in the data mean that investors should not trade their shares based on NPD numbers until a corrected report is issued later tonight.

"NPD has advised its subscribers that the September sales data has confirmed errors," read the report, "and that the extent of the problems are unknown."

The current "bad" data reports that September sales of video game software were up 44 percent year-over-year, ahead of Piper Jaffray's estimate of 15-20 percent. Sales of Xbox software increased a whopping 87 percent, Game Boy Advance software 75 percent, GameCube 39 percent, and PlayStation 2 29 percent. By publisher, Microsoft (446 percent), Activision (136 percent), and Nintendo (118 percent) saw the largest year-on-year sales jumps for the month of September.

By Chris Kohler -- GameSpot

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just make sure Burnout 3 sells more on the PS2. :)

Alcibiades

when you go from Voodoo Vince to Fable, a 400% increase in sales isn't too hard...

I expect a good 1/2 million thanks to the multiyear hype it had and the extensive push retail (especially EB and Gamestop) was giving the title...

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
sonycowboy said:

sonycowboy said:
Microsoft tried to buy the NPD :O ... and got caught!

The article doesn't say anything of the sort. It says that the reported numbers of a 44% increase in sales might be incorrect, because it conflicts with an expected increase in sales of 15-20%. I don't get where you got the Microsoft trying to buy the NPD thing.

Edit : didn't know the joke was continuing from the other thread.

Nerevar said:
The article doesn't say anything of the sort. It says that the reported numbers of a 44% increase in sales might be incorrect, because it conflicts with an expected increase in sales of 15-20%. I don't get where you got the Microsoft trying to buy the NPD thing.

You've been asleep at the wheel. See the previous NPD thread for the JOKE.

AniHawk

So if these are correct, that's about 920,000.

Lesse, 80k for Halo, 180k for all the other crap, about 650kish for Fable?

thorns

Banned
I meant in terms of revenue, since that 446% figure is based on $..
Since Fable a lot of copies sold at full price, it probably had a huge effect on revenue.

bunkum

thorns said:
I meant in terms of revenue, since that 446% figure is based on $..
Since Fable a lot of copies sold at full price, it probably had a huge effect on revenue.

Fuss pot, $6,543,118

thorns

Banned
btw a 446% INCREASE means you multiply it by 5.56, not 4.46..

going by the unit sales that would be 1,115,000
going by revenue $36,379,736 = 730k units at $50

Alcibiades

thorns said:

or about 600,000-650,000 Fable units at $50, with the rest divided among cheaper titles like Halo, PGR2, etc...

bunkum

thorns said:

August was $7,321,795

So roughly $27m Fable

AniHawk

bunkum said:
August was $7,321,795

So roughly $20m Fable

At 49.99 is 400,080

And yeah, I was multiplying by 4.46. Woops. :lol

However, 36M-7M (August) = 29M, which is 580,000 for Fable at $49.99.

snapty00

Banned
Has the NPD had problems lately or what? I mean, this is by far the biggest problem they've had so far, but in the past, they've also released it very late.

Top Bottom