• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

If there's one dietary regret I have, it was learning how to make pizza from scratch. It's easy, it's cheap and you usually make it in bulk, which leads to bad decisions.

...so...does anyone here besides me make their own pizza when they can? Because mashing in olive oil and potato into that crust is NOBEL PRIZE WORTHY

Yep, I do it all time, mostly because my local pizza place shut down and Extreme Pizza is far too overpriced.

Gabroni

Banned
...so...does anyone here besides me and the previous poster make their own pizza when they can? Because mashing in olive oil and potato into that crust is NOBEL PRIZE WORTHY.

I like cornmeal, spelt, and hemp seed crust with whole wheat (1:2 ratio so it's a healthy and adds aroma and texture) and use mostly water buffalo fresh mozzarella, burrata (mozzarella with creme), and 1 year aged gruyere. San Marzano, heirloom, and/or Roma or GTFO of my pantry.

Have to represent my home town area in this thread!

6a00d8341c339953ef012876050977970c-800wi

6a00d8341c339953ef0120a7027d22970b-800wi

The key is that the cheese is put on AFTER baking.

There is nothing like it and people who grew up and moved away usually get it when they come home for holidays.

Recently, some transplants opened up a shop in Myrtle Beach.

Pizza with uncooked cheese?

Blasphemy.

Marleyman

Banned
My favorite food; good pizza places in Pittsburgh.

Mineos, Vincents(which is now closed), Fiori's, Aiellos...my god my mouth is watering.

Omikaru

I love pineapple, but not on pizza.

Also, anchovies are great. Once every month or two I'll have them on a pizza. I don't think I could eat them any more than that, but they are a delicious change every now and then.

This picture blew up on Reddit a few weeks ago.

2UbDx.png

This pizza place, which is indeed called Decent Pizza, is in Tallahassee, FL, where I live. They make really good pizza. The best in town, in my opinion. I grew up in northern NJ, which is a really great place to get NY style pizza. When I was a kid in the 80s, there wasn't a single chain pizza place anywhere. The mob still had decent control over the area, and they kept all of the chains out since the mom and pop joints were paying them for protection. In the 90s, their control slipped and Pizza Hut moved in, though I don't remember anybody who ever got pizza there, unless they needed a bunch of pies for cheap. Anyway, Decent Pizza has the best NY style pizza I've ever had since I moved to Florida in 1999. And their pies are massive. A medium is 16", large is 20".

Gabroni

Banned
Has anyone been to Di Fara's in Brooklyn? Not sure if I wanna drop like $30 for a pie and wait 4 hours for a pizza (commute NOT included)

Tawpgun

I always got New York style, but I have NEVER heard of New Haven style and I'm from Connecticut... I just heard about Mystic Pizza...

I'll give it a shot next time I'm over there.

Gabroni

Banned
How often do you guys have pizza? Lately, I don't eat it...every time I do I gain so much weight.

Look into gluten free (cornmeal, hemp flour, potato flour) pizza and pizzeria or make your own by looking it up online.

Previous post I made:
...so...does anyone here besides me and the previous poster make their own pizza when they can? Because mashing in olive oil and potato into that crust is NOBEL PRIZE WORTHY.

I like cornmeal, spelt, and hemp seed crust with whole wheat (1:2 ratio so it's a healthy and adds aroma and texture) and use mostly water buffalo fresh mozzarella, burrata (mozzarella with creme), and 1 year aged gruyere. San Marzano, heirloom, and/or Roma or GTFO of my pantry.

Ingredients

2 teaspoons honey (or whatever liquid sweetner you have)
1 package active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
3/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°-warm to the touch)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 10 ounces), divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons stone-ground yellow cornmeal

Preparation

Dissolve the honey and yeast in 3/4 cup warm water in a large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 cups flour and salt to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 minutes); add enough of the remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel slightly sticky).
Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If the indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)
Roll dough into a 12-inch circle (about 1/4 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a rimless baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Lightly spray surface of dough with cooking spray, and cover with plastic wrap. Place the dough in refrigerator for up to 30 minutes. Bake according to recipe directions.

Wheat Germ Dough: Replace 1/4 cup all-purpose flour with 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ.
Asian Dough: Add 2 teaspoons raw sesame seeds.
Herb Dough: Add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (use a mix of herbs or just one, such as basil or oregano).
Nutty Dough: Add 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts or pecans.
Cheese Dough: Add 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan, fontina, or other cheese.
Pepper Dough: Add 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper.
Note: Nutritional analysis is for 1 (12-inch) pizza crust. 1115 cal for whole pizza or ~139 cal/slice (divided by 8)

Ezalc

Goddamn it OP, I'm going out to lunch in an hour and now I really want to eat pizza but it's expensive here. Fuuuuuuuuck.

Pizza is the best food ever. Props to OP for mentioning Catupiry from Brazil, I don't understand how they say our favorite topping is peas the hell? I would have guessed chicken with catupiry or calabresa (basically Brazilian pepperoni).

Whenever there is a pizza thread I always like to educate people on the Little Caesar's Pepperoni Cheese bread.

It's not really even pizza, but when you eat it with a side of marinara sauce its just fucking amazing.

d9d08688b6662e6b1cc8ebc1793e90c3.jpg

sonicfan

Venerable Member
One of the only redeeming factors of living in the Detroit area....

Pizza Papalis

20110307pizzapapalis.jpg

Buddy's Pizza

20110227-138848-United-States-of-Pizza-Michigan-Buddys.jpg

Awesome thread...

Micerider

I'm pizza sensitive. Eating a whole large pie by myself does things to me.

Then go for Italian-style pizza (and I mean REAL italian style, having a thin crust is not enough, you have to be easy on cheese as well), much less calories than US-style pizze.

I tend to make them home from time to time (with the dough blended in a bread machine) and I realized that you use much less sugar, oil and cheese and it basically reduce the calories in half. It's still not a "healthy" lunch, but it reduces the damages by a great margin and taste better (personnal opinion).

Also, avoid peperonni and chorizo as topping, go for ham (cooked or smoked : to be added on top of the pizza AFTER the oven).

VanWinkle

Whenever there is a pizza thread I always like to educate people on the Little Caesar's Pepperoni Cheese bread.

It's not really even pizza, but when you eat it with a side of marinara sauce its just f***ing amazing.

d9d08688b6662e6b1cc8ebc1793e90c3.jpg

I don't eat Little Caesar's pizza (or any chain really) as I normally make my own or eat at a pizzeria, but for some unknown reason, that stuff is absolutely amazing. I can't buy it often because I end up eating the whole order, but it tastes fantastic, against all odds.

Edit: Actually, no, I'm thinking of the Italian cheese bread, which is probably really close in taste to that.

I don't eat Little Caesar's pizza (or any chain really) as I normally make my own or eat at a pizzeria, but for some unknown reason, that stuff is absolutely amazing. I can't buy it often because I end up eating the whole order, but it tastes fantastic, against all odds.

Edit: Actually, no, I'm thinking of the Italian cheese bread, which is probably really close in taste to that.

Yep,
The Italian Cheese Bread is the same thing. I often try that as well, and it's less greasy.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Pizza is one of those foods I sometimes crave but always regret eating. I've been pretty good about avoiding the hell out of it, ESPECIALLY when I'm drunk.

Seanspeed

Banned
Fuck people who don't eat the crust.
I was like that as a kid. I'm still not a big fan of the crust, though. I usually eat my pizza backwards(crust first) to get it out of the way, or if I have something to dip it in, I'll eat the slice normally and then dip the crust.

Gabroni

Banned
Real question: Thin, thick, stuffed, flatbread, puff pastry (SO GOOD!!!!) deep dish, other?

Thick and flatbread are my favorite but solely depends on what toppings I have at hand (more toppings for flatbread, simple on thick, everything on puff because it's like pizza croissant)

Well I'm feeling it I'll usually get pizza from Antony's or the Mellow Mushroom.
However I still love a supreme Tombstone with some crimini mushrooms cut up on it.

Dyno

I love all kinds of pizza but when I am at a good Tuscan restaurant I love me some arugula and parmesian pizza.

images

The most distinctive thing about the style I'd call Kansas City's pizza is the crust. It's kind of crispy and flaky on the outside, a thin layer of softer, bready crust and then then almost a hollow tunnel inside. Kind of crackly but then soft inside. And I think it tends to be just a little bit sweeter than normal, too. Just a touch, though. And there's a taste to it that kind of has just a hint of either honey, wheat or beer... or maybe all of the above.

P7sdrPedI5RnJL-640m.jpg

There are a few places in town that make it this way: Pizza Shoppe, Old Shawnee Pizza and Minsky's. I really like it a lot.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
SquiddyBiscuit, I don't see any mention of Calzone, or anything that resembles it, in the starting post. Doesn't it constitute as pizza, or is that more like a sandwich?

Anyway, as for my own pizza habits, I can say that I almost never have cheese on my pizzas. I think it takes away the flavor of other ingredients, and I find it too greasy. It also tends to get stuck in my beard and create this unpleasant odor which is difficult to remove. I don't mind cheese on sandwiches though, but that's normally not heated.

I can share a recipe, it's rather simple:

Betel, Endive and Sun-dried Tomato Pizza

Ingredients

Pizza dough/crust, use your favorite recipe
2-3 Belgian endives, thinly sliced
8-10 Betel leaves
5 tsp. lime juice
3 tsp. olive oil
2+ fresh tomatoes for sauce
Fresh oregano
Julienne Cut sun-dried tomatoes, enough to cover most of the dough
1/2 cup/1 dl grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation method

Food processor can come in handy for step four, but can be done with a knife as well.

1. First, bake the dough of course, in case you haven't bought prebaked, and let it rise

2. Slice the endives thinly, you could also chop them if you prefer that. Put the slices in a bowl and mix with lime juice and olive oil. Use a ladle or spatula. Leave in the bowl as for now.

3. Put the oven to 175 °C/347 °F, to have it preheated.

4. Now it's time to make the sauce. Simply use a food processor to mix the tomatoes and the fresh oregano. Use a moderate amount of oregano in relation to amount of tomatoes. I prefer sauce smooth, but if you like it chunky just set your food processor to that.

5. Now take out the dough and spread it on a baking surface. Spread the freshly made tomato sauce evenly over the dough. Do the same with the julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes to create an extra layer, don't make it too thick. Then add the endive slices, don't make it too thick here either, spread it evenly. Now add the Betel leaves, and lastly grate the Parmesan cheese over all this.

6. Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. 12 to 15 minutes should be enough. Allow it to cool before serving.

I unfortunately have no picture of the pizza, but if anyone decides to make it, do post an image.

Also, betel leaves may be a bit tricky to find, but check in Asian stores or ask at a conservatory.

Top Bottom