• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: Who will get the Chrono Trigger portable ?

ourumov

As you probably know there hasn't been any kind of port from the SNES hit Chrono Trigger. Wonderswan didn't get it, GameBoy Advance has yet to receive the first bunch of Square ports (FF 1+2) and I doubt it'll get it...
I think Chrono Trigger portable could be a great game if done on the DS. I think so because I think it is a game who could benefit from the Dual Screen technology. The commands could be on the 2nd screen while the action is on the first.
Actually that's the only I would change, nothing more. I like the graphics, the music and the superb gameplay as they were. I suppose DS will features SNES-level soundtracks at least...
If done on the PSP it would also rock. Granted it can do a perfect port perhaps the developers would try to enhance it and well...although they could enhance it well, they could also screw it...so it'd better to rest untouched ;).

Socreges

Banned
I think Chrono Trigger portable could be a great game if done on the DS. I think so because I think it is a game who could benefit from the Dual Screen technology. The commands could be on the 2nd screen while the action is on the first.
Cycling through the menu with the stylus would be nice, too, I guess.

Never played Chrono Trigger before. Like to, though.

ourumov

Imo one of the flaws it had is that sometimes you had to think very fast (if playing in no-wait mode) and you needed the menu to be more controlable than it was. That's just my opinion.-

jiggle

It was ported to PS1.

I think DS will have a higher chance of getting it.

Though my preference is for it to land on PSP, with the anime op/endings intact.

ourumov

I know it was ported to PSX. I was refering to portables.

BTW, the PSX port is the worse port ever. It had horrible loading times and it was just an emu running the CT rom. Actually you can easily found the rom inside the game.

jiggle

oh duh, missed the "portable" part of the title =-p

yeah, i heard the ps1 port was bad. didnt' even bother getting it, and just downloaded the fmvs.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The advantage of choosing commands on the 2nd screen isn't that great IMO, I didn't exactly have any trouble using a controller before. I see it like this...if it has to be on a handheld, PSP would be nice because the screen is bigger. But NDS would also be good in order to avoid loading times completely. The loading in PSX Chrono Trigger kinda ticked me off.

DS will get it.

Shit, DS could even get some sort of reworked Radical Dreamers or Chrono Cross too. Might as well shoot for the moon here, right?

belgurdo

Banned
Having a second screen anything would be pointless (as the game is already pretty simplistic, and menu selecting was about a two second affair at best), but DS might be able to handle the 2D better than PSP (speculating here)

For battery issues with longer RPG games, probably DS. The touchscreen interface is also ideal for RPG type games, you can quickly just touch the commands you want or touch the character you want to have attack (look for this in FF III DS).

The dual screen could also let you see your entire party of characters at one time (say on the secondary screen) as you're travelling through the world.

But really, I have my doubts that Square will ever do anything big with the Chrono franchise ever again.

Mashing

I think that if it was on the DS they could setup it up as an option to allow the player to control the tech attacks manually and the more accurate/quick you are with the stylus the more effective the attack becomes (this is OPTIONAL though, for those that don't want to have to deal with that). I also hope a Vagrant Story remake shows up on DS as it would be absolutely wonderful way to control the battle system in that game.

Miburou

M3wThr33 said:
DS, why?

SE: Hi. Another game proposal.
Sony: I see. What is it?
SE: It's a port of a 2D game.
Sony: REJECTED!

You mean like Tales of Eternia and Ys: The Ark of Napishtim?

Cruel Bastard Mario said:
NDS.

The PSP isn't even getting it's first Square game until 2006 or something.

Wow, I missed the announcement where Square said they won't be releasing any PSP games until 2006.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
A GBA port makes more sense than a PSP or DS version, at least to me.

They could show you the affect of your actions in different time periods on the second screen. A sequel with this feature would be pretty cool.

Xellos

The DS could do a good port of Chrono Trigger. The touch screen could help with the interface, and SquareEnix could add some 3D effects to the battles/race scenes if they wanted. Heck they could probably keep most of the PS version's FMV if they really tried.

Top Bottom