• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing the DS Online - How does Warp Pipe help?

olimario

Banned
I want to know what kind of software Warp Pipe will provide to help DS users play other DS users across the country?
Will it be like the GCN tunneling where you have a buddy list and you can select friends to play with?
Or will they just give you the instructions on how to set up a wifi hotspot on your PC?

And if it is the former, how will you get your DS to communicate wirelessly with your PC? What hardware will you need and how much will it cost?

fugimax

Hate to pop some bubbles...but has Nintendo confirmed 802.11b?

The press release from yesterday by RF MicroDevices specifically says "802.11" and nothing more. There *is* a wireless standard called 802.11, period. It's not compatable with 802.11b, 802.11a, or 802.11g. It provides a data transfer rate of about 2Mbps.

I'm hoping this is not the case, but the explicit lack of any "letter tag" makes me think Nintendo may be using just plain 802.11 (also known as 802.11y in some places).

BuddyC

fugimax said:
Hate to pop some bubbles...but has Nintendo confirmed 802.11b?

The press release from yesterday by RF MicroDevices specifically says "802.11" and nothing more. There *is* a wireless standard called 802.11, period. It's not compatable with 802.11b, 802.11a, or 802.11g. It provides a data transfer rate of about 2Mbps.

I'm hoping this is not the case, but the explicit lack of any "letter tag" makes me think Nintendo may be using just plain 802.11 (also known as 802.11y in some places).
I think you've got a point here.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/515/515145p2.html

IGN: Where does Nintendo stand on DS and the Internet

Perrin Kaplan: 802.11b wireless will take you to the Internet [on DS] and you'll be able to connect that way. Nintendo is not opposed to online. I think people have this perception that Nintendo does not support online. We support businesses that are profitable. We don't agree with charging a monthly fee to be online. This is wireless and will work without you having to pay a monthly fee.

There ya go...

jedimike

Here's the deal folks... in a nutshell.

Nintendo is using an in house protocol. Protocol is the language used by devices to communicate with eachother. In order for this protocol to be used on the internet, it has to be routable. Routable means it has to have a source location and destination location. The internet typically uses TCP/IP.

Nintendo's protocol is not routable. Non-routable protocols are used for workgroups or peer-to-peer networks. This is the type of network Nintendo has been talking about. The Nintendo specific protocol would communicate with other DS's within the 802.11b wireless boundaries (~200ft.).

Tunneling (Xlink & Warpipe) is needed to package up the Nintendo protocol and wrap it in a TCP/IP packet to be routed to other DS's running the same tunneling software that aren't within the 802.11b boundary.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
They're using an in-house protocol AND 802.11.

http://www.nintendo.com/ds/overview.jsp

Wireless: DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players. Nintendo's guaranteed range is 30 feet, but will extend far beyond that depending on circumstances. It assures high response rates required for real time game play, and will make use of both IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption. Players will be able to chat and play games without any connecting cords, completely untethered. The DS technology also provides for a wireless LAN connection, which could allow a theoretically infinite number of players to connect at a hot spot and compete at a central game hub on the Internet, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

Top Bottom