• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Japan teasing something related to (Forbidden) Siren for August 3

nial

We go through this every single year.
Don't expect anything, really. It's simply related to the Siren event Sony has been doing in Japan in collaboration with Bandai Namco.
tLzrigV.jpeg

I really have no idea what's the thing with SIEI and this franchise, they even remastered Siren 1's OST last year.

Killer8

It's going to be a concert or some shit, like that Ridge Racer anniversary DJ event a few weeks ago.

There is no one left at Japan Studio to do anything meaningful with all the old IP. It's all hands on deck for Astro Bot now.

The Ape Escape anniversary came and went with nothing more than an acknowledgement on social media.

nial

The Ape Escape anniversary came and went with nothing more than an acknowledgement on social media.
It's also a whole event like Siren (plus, A LOT of merch).
lVWOiyZ.jpeg

The thing is while Doko Demo Issyo is a fairly active series (last game was released in 2019), it's also developed externally, unlike Ape Escape for the most part. You can only hope for Team Asobi to make a new game in the future, and to be quite fair, they've surely been teasing Ape Escape a bit lately.

Impotaku

Hoping for something weird again, last time they did a Siren collaboration where the world of Siren clashed with cute little Toro Inoue from dokodemo isshyo and Shibitoro was born.
Jdszd8d.jpg

Would love to get the PS3 siren remastered resi 2 remake style.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
PLease let it be Siren 2 released Worldwide. A new one would be better yet.
The only way I could play Siren 2 was through emulation, the game came to Europe and Japan, but never to America.

I only stayed at the level of a blind character who has his German shepherd to guide him with his vision.

I thought that scenario was great and original.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
That franchise is great, I love the separate stories of each character with the same atmosphere, I like the gameplay and the Japanese horror.

I'm still hoping for my Gravity rush 3
Unfortunately that ship has sailed a while ago. I'd be pleased with a GR2 remastered for PS5 and PC though.

And speaking of Gravity Rush, a local video game retailer got hold of some old stock of Gravity Rush Remastered and listed it for €35 (I think they only have a few copies). However, I can't order it because they have another Gravity Rush Remastered SKU that's out of stock and when I click on this new listing, it redirects me to the out of stock SKU. Let's just say that I'm a bit annoyed by this since I finally have the chance to get a brand new copy of Gravity Rush at a good price after years of waiting and then this shit happens, lol.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Unfortunately that ship has sailed a while ago. I'd be pleased with a GR2 remastered for PS5 and PC though.

And speaking of Gravity Rush, a local video game retailer got hold of some old stock of Gravity Rush Remastered and listed it for €35 (I think they only have a few copies). However, I can't order it because they have another Gravity Rush Remastered SKU that's out of stock and when I click on this new listing, it redirects me to the out of stock SKU. Let's just say that I'm a bit annoyed by this since I finally have the chance to get an unsealed copy of Gravity Rush at a good price after years of waiting and then this shit happens, lol.
Buy it friend, now that you can... I'll buy another copy of Gravity rush 2 xD

Heimdall_Xtreme

I also like this moment of goofy funny terror xD

In Japan::: That game scares me!!! :messenger_fearful::messenger_fearful::messenger_fearful::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming:

Me in that scene: :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Nice! Blood Curse is such a good game.

Friendly reminder, you can stream it on PS+ if you have the highest tier. It's also worth buying if you still game on the PS3. NA version is slightly censored for the intro but it's nothing too drastic. I had an Asian physical copy but lent it out like a fool and the bum moved to Colorado before returning it.

emivita

Toyama probably pitched a new Siren game to Sony years ago, but got rejected. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever see a new Siren game. Not without Toyama and Japan Studio. I've played all the games back in the PS2/PS3 days and feel the itch to replay them this fall.

On the other side, a new Ape Escape from Team Asobi is more likely, hopelly after the incoming Astrobot. And that would be injected straight into my veins.

emivita

I also like this moment of goofy funny terror xD

In Japan::: That game scares me!!! :messenger_fearful::messenger_fearful::messenger_fearful::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming:

Me in that scene: :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Forbidden Siren 1 is the scariest game of the series, while 2 is the most disturbing. I loved them equally. Both were meant to be played alone, in the dark, better with a CRT TV, not watched through some youtube videos. Also FS1 has one of the scariest OST in existence.

Killer8

It's also a whole event like Siren (plus, A LOT of merch).
lVWOiyZ.jpeg

The thing is while Doko Demo Issyo is a fairly active series (last game was released in 2019), it's also developed externally, unlike Ape Escape for the most part. You can only hope for Team Asobi to make a new game in the future, and to be quite fair, they've surely been teasing Ape Escape a bit lately.

I wouldn't consider a series which got its last game in 2019 to be 'fairly active'.

Events can be interesting but on the whole are lame because they only appeal to a few people who can actually attend them in Japan. I went to a Silent Hill concert performed live by Akira Yamaoka himself when I was a teenager - it was cool, but it didn't fill the void left by a lack of new SH games (*at the time). John Linneman recently tweeted about that Ridge Racer DJ set and it just made me depressed that we don't have Ridge Racer 8.

One studio that I think is being wasted is Bluepoint. Japan Studio might not exist but I could see them putting out easy remakes of games like Ape Escape and Siren. Just do what Konami are doing with MGS Delta and run the same game logic underneath an Unreal Engine 5 layer. Easy money and would keep the blood flowing to people's nostalgia boner.

emivita

One studio that I think is being wasted is Bluepoint. Japan Studio might not exist but I could see them putting out easy remakes of games like Ape Escape and Siren. Just do what Konami are doing with MGS Delta and run the same game logic underneath an Unreal Engine 5 layer. Easy money and would keep the blood flowing to people's nostalgia boner.

PS5 Demon's Souls is a 1:1 remake. MGS Delta too. 1:1 remaking Ape Escape or Siren simply wouldn't work, they were games of their times that would need a reboot/reimagining or at least a serious revisitation.

A brand new Ape Escape by Team Asobi is the most logic idea to me. Siren 1 got a reimagining in 2008 by Japan Studio, which is Blood Curse, but was underappreciated and probably sold like shit. Blood Curse wasn't the best survival horror game ever for sure, but the PS3/360 era did only have a handful of them and Blood Curse was the best.

nial

I wouldn't consider a series which got its last game in 2019 to be 'fairly active'.
Compared to Ape Escape, Siren or Ridge Racer? Heck, late 2019 wasn't that long ago either, and the game was getting updates up to 2021.
Events can be interesting but on the whole are lame because they only appeal to a few people who can actually attend them in Japan.
That's kinda the point, sadly, they're only directed to Japan. Most of the merch doesn't even come to the West.
One studio that I think is being wasted is Bluepoint. Japan Studio might not exist but I could see them putting out easy remakes of games like Ape Escape and Siren.
The problem is that Bluepoint wasn't doing those remakes without the direction of SIEI, and with Toyama gone, you wouldn't have much interest in a Siren project over at Team Asobi, which is a pretty family oriented studio.
I agree with emivita emivita in that Ape Escape suits better as an internal SIEI game, an AE4 directed by Gento Morita (lead game designer of Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Astro's Playroom and Astro Bot '24) would be insanely good.

nial

Killer8 Killer8 emivita emivita Fuck, what we really need is a Siren remake by Koei Tecmo Games, and with SIEI recently collaborating with them on Rise of the Ronin, it would feel right at home. I really hope Edward Saito (SIEI producer on ROTR) gets this going in the future.

Killer8

PS5 Demon's Souls is a 1:1 remake. MGS Delta too. 1:1 remaking Ape Escape or Siren simply wouldn't work, they were games of their times that would need a reboot/reimagining or at least a serious revisitation.

I think it could work. I look at how well the Crash remasters did and think Ape Escape could sell well too on the nostalgia factor alone. I wouldn't have said the Crash games aged particularly better or worse than Ape Escape either. It's all PS1 jank at the end of the day.

Siren I agree wouldn't make a good remake but that's because i'm of the opinion that it's just not a good game full stop. Extremely obtuse and frustrating mission design. Blood Curse on the other hand could make for an excellent remake, or perhaps even exposing Siren 2 to American audiences for the first time.

The other thing is that they needn't strictly be 1:1 remakes. Not even Demon's Souls or MGS Delta are that, as they add quality of life features and tweak game mechanics (MGS Delta has crouch walking and over-ther-shoulder aiming, for example). But the developers are able to re-use a lot of original assets like animation data and level design which keeps it relatively faithful compared to a traditional remake.

A brand new Ape Escape by Team Asobi is the most logic idea to me. Siren 1 got a reimagining in 2008 by Japan Studio, which is Blood Curse, but was underappreciated and probably sold like shit. Blood Curse wasn't the best survival horror game ever for sure, but the PS3/360 era did only have a handful of them and Blood Curse was the best.

A new Ape Escape would be welcome but it seems that Team Asobi is just too busy with Astro Bot now. Asobi only have something like 60 employees (maybe more now) so I don't know how well they could work on two IP at once.

Astro Bot rules though so I don't have a problem if they keep making that.

Killer8 Killer8 emivita emivita Fuck, what we really need is a Siren remake by Koei Tecmo Games, and with SIEI recently collaborating with them on Rise of the Ronin, it would feel right at home. I really hope Edward Saito (SIEI producer on ROTR) gets this going in the future.

It could work. I think they have done a solid job bringing Fatal Frame back from the brink. Hell, do what Koei Tecmo did with FF4 and co-develop a new Siren between SIEI and Grasshopper Manufacture / GungHo / NetEase. They fit the bill of guns for hire devs who will work on whatever to keep the lights on.

Top Bottom