• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation now the Official Gaming Partner of Top Rank Boxing

ylNExBU.png

This news comes as quite a pleasant surprise to me, given that PlayStation and Boxing are my two favorite things in the world.

From the PlayStation Blog:

Guy Longworth, Senior Vice President, PlayStation Brand Marketing, SCEA writes:
"I’m excited to announce that PlayStation is now the Official Gaming Partner of Top Rank Boxing, the world’s leading boxing promotions company. As a part of this new partnership, the PlayStation brand will be featured front and center during several premier Top Rank events that will be broadcast live on Pay-Per-View, HBO and Unimas (a part of the Univision Network).

Top Rank promotes some of the biggest boxing events in the world, including the World Welterweight Championship rematch between “Fighter of the Decade” Manny Pacquiao and undefeated two-division world champion Timothy Bradley. Greatness awaits these incredible athletes when they match up on April 12, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

In addition to Pacquiao vs. Bradley 2, PlayStation will be featured in the June 7 match-up at Madison Square Garden between three-time-division champ Miguel Cotto and reigning middleweight champ Sergio Martinez. Additional events to feature PlayStation integration include the May 17 bout between Juan Manuel Marquez and Mike Alvarado at the Forum in Los Angeles.

The main event is right around the corner and we can’t wait to have the PlayStation brand highlighted in front of the millions of boxing fans around the world."

Basically, you won't be able to see Pacquiao, Cotto, Martinez, Marquez, Bradley, Chavez Jr., or Donaire fight without PlayStation branding all over the ring.

Rumor has it Chavez Jr. and Gennady Golovkin have a PPV fight in July which would be massive, too.

And this somehow compelled me to buy the PPV for Pacquiao Bradley II this weekend...

EDIT: Top Rank is currently attempting to popularize boxing in China with Zou Shiming. Could this be Sony's attempt to break into that market through an emerging sport in the territory?

Good advertising but it'd be cool if you could somehow watch the matches via a App on the PS4 [or can you?]. Obviously you'd have to pay for it still

Al Haymon missed out. Honestly, Goldenboy has a better stable, but advertising during Pacquaio fights is a good thing.
edit: Will the PlayStation logo be displayed in the center of the ring? In that case, its a big deal.

JayEH

Boxing ain't no NFL though.

I don't keep up with boxing so when I read this ok twitter I honestly thought this was some small boxing league they were partnering with lol.

flkraven

I really don't know who to put money on in this. Pac won the first - no doubt about it. But Bradley looked so good against Marquez.

I just don't know...

Yah, Pac easily won the first one. I lean Bradley, but it is a friggn coin flip. Wouldn't be surprised if either side wins, but Bradley is +165 I believe, so he is the no-brainer bet.

I don't keep up with boxing so when I read this ok twitter I honestly thought this was some small boxing league they were partnering with lol.

It's not necessarily about the reach, it could be about demographic ad allocation. Without looking at Top Rank viewers, I can tell you that many are hispanic - Puerto Rican, Mexican etc.

Seems like Sony is going after that audience for the PS4.

Another thing worth noting is that Top Rank recently expanded into China for fights. Could this be their foray into that market?

Wynnebeck

Banned

It still remains to be see if MS's partnership with the NFL influences anything com football season, cause as of now it didn't do anything last year.

I disagree, he looked like his old self vs Rios.
I disagree, he had a guy in Rios, who was tailor made for him. Decent puncher, but not very quick and doesn't counter punch. The old Pacman would have gone fullspeed after him and tried to knock him out. Instead, he chose to land a few punches and back away. It was good boxing but he didn't try to finish him at all, I'm guessing he didn't want to get into an exchange with Rios, especially after getting KO'D in his last fight.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
It still remains to be see if MS's partnership with the NFL influences anything com football season, cause as of now it didn't do anything last year.
It will always be more of a passive thing. I for one can't wait for the next 5 years of "BUY AN XBOX ONE™" before every other commercial break where there will be another XBOX ONE™ commercial that contains people watching football through their XBOX ONE™ showing off the live updating Fantasy Football banner and showing how much more you could enjoy watching football if you had an XBOX ONE™.

But this boxing thing. Untapped markets !! Hopefully they stream out a few free games to get people into it. Because as of right now I sure as heck aren't into it.

I disagree, he had a guy in Rios, who was tailor made for him. Decent puncher, but not very quick and doesn't counter punch. The old Pacman would have gone fullspeed after him and tried to knock him out. Instead, he chose to land a few punches and back away. It was good boxing but he didn't try to finish him at all, I'm guessing he didn't want to get into an exchange with Rios, especially after getting KO'D in his last fight.

Agreed. That "killer instinct" wasn't there. Fortunately, Bradley isn't a power puncher. Even if he's built like a brick shithouse. lol

He probably was worried about the marquez situation but he still looked fast and powerful. He hit rios a lot and hard but rios can take punches.

I've seen PS4 banners up during TUF. I dont think MS has solidified any exclusivity with UFC.

Agreed. Though there's been a surge as of late, mostly due to TMT's marketing style.

The allure of an undefeated fighter like Mayweather is integral to the sport. I hope he never loses for that very reason actually. Until he fights Pacquiao, that is. :D

Top Bottom