• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Paulie_C

Neo Member
Never Alone was decent but nothing special gameplay wise. As others mentioned the controls had a few niggles. I hated the tree sections. It was short which was a plus in my book as I dont think it had the depth to go on longer. Nowhere near a 10.

Aarus Awakening was total trash. A shame because its gorgeous but the controls were awful.

Havent played Dishonoured yet as the PS3 is in my kids' room.

Monster Bag, I love the animation and its an ok puzzler.

Havent played much of Killzone as I hate the Vita's sticks for FPS.

I'm starting to feel a bit duped after getting Injustice and Infamous in December and January. It'll take a lot in the next 8 months to get me to renew.

Strax

I was so ready to love Aaru's Awakening, looks great and being from Iceland like me it had to be utter trash for me not to finish it.

I didn't finish it.

i-Lo

Canada Gaffer here: I just got the standard edition of DAI which was sale for CAD $42 (as you know PSN canada doesn't charge tax). I am not very much into fantasy setting WRPG but am into collecting games.

All previous bioware WRPGs I have been have been sci-fi and as such will I enjoy the game at all or is it just a good collectible?

Well, it's official - Never Alone is the most boring game I've ever played... maybe. HOLY SHIT what a slog.

Monsterbag is alright. Needlessly violent though. There are people getting slaughter in all manner of grisly ways left, right and centre. It doesn't really gel with the whole Cartoon Network art style.

elhav

Dishonored is as good as you make it out to be. Had a lot of fun with it, going all stealth was quite satisfying.

It has a peculiar world and some interesting characters. I think one of its lead art designers designed Half Life 2 so that's pretty cool.

Omerta

You'll not catch me hating on ps+ for an average month...

I've had a dick ton of content over the years for an outrageous price.

Get up of the mat ps+ and come out swinging in the next round.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Tried Never Alone today. Holy shit this game is boring. Anybody saying this piece of shit is better than Aaru's Awakening is insane.

Only game I haven't played this month so far is Dishonored. My ranking of the others.

Killzone Mercenary - 9. I bought this game on launch. Was awesome then. Will still be awesome now.

Aaru's Awakening - 8. Fuck the haters. You have no taste. Controls could use improvement sure, but overall they work as well as you need them to, and the gameplay and level design is seriously well executed with a perfect difficulty curve. Very engaging. Shame it's so short.

Monsterbag - 7. Awesome artstyle and the game has tons of personality. Gameplay is solid enough, but the game gets annoying and kinda falls apart in the last few levels. LOL at the credits stage being unbeatable at first. But it's generally a good time. Very short.

Never Alone - 4. The worst thing a game can be. Booooooooriiiiiiing. Gameplay is so dull it's unreal. I won't be finishing this one. But it's pretty so at least there's that

Tower of Guns - 3. Ok so I only played this for a few minutes before deciding it was dogshit. I will not be returning to the game to see if that was too early to say.

eFKac

Just finished Never Alone, I really liked how they incorporated culture and native stories into the game, that was very cool, also enjoyed the documentaries very much explaining the things as you go.
Gameplay was meh though, and some of the later parts of the game were just frustrating to play.

breakfuss

Tried Never Alone today. Holy shit this game is boring. Anybody saying this piece of shit is better than Aaru's Awakening is insane.

Only game I haven't played this month so far is Dishonored. My ranking of the others.

Killzone Mercenary - 9. I bought this game on launch. Was awesome then. Will still be awesome now.

Aaru's Awakening - 8. Fuck the haters. You have no taste. Controls could use improvement sure, but overall they work as well as you need them to, and the gameplay and level design is seriously well executed with a perfect difficulty curve. Very engaging. Shame it's so short.

Monsterbag - 7. Awesome artstyle and the game has tons of personality. Gameplay is solid enough, but the game gets annoying and kinda falls apart in the last few levels. LOL at the credits stage being unbeatable at first. But it's generally a good time. Very short.

Never Alone - 4. The worst thing a game can be. Booooooooriiiiiiing. Gameplay is so dull it's unreal. I won't be finishing this one. But it's pretty so at least there's that

Tower of Guns - 3. Ok so I only played this for a few minutes before deciding it was dogshit. I will not be returning to the game to see if that was too early to say.

You are living up to your handle. Aaru's Awakening is by far the worst game we've received in months. It's awful. I give it a score of 0. I had to turn my television off afterwards. Just to reflect on what gaming means to me. That's how bad that shit is.

KZ:M...a solid 7. I'd enjoy it more if I could wrap my head around the controls. And, no, I don't have a grip nor do I intend to buy one. The point is for the system to be portable.

Never Alone...I'm giving a 5/6. The gameplay is pretty dry but I sincerely appreciate what it's trying to do. You should check out the in-game videos.

Tower of Guns - 1. Not worthy of discussion.

Still need to download Monsterbag but I'm struggling with an 8GB memory card so it'll have to wait.

Dishonored - 8.5-9/. Fantastic game that I bought at launch.

shmoglish

So I played and beat Aaru's Awakening today. Really short length aside I thought it was pretty fantastic. Interesting and well executed gameplay mechanics, and a really solid difficulty curve. Gameplay was very engaging throughout. I have absolutely no idea what the story was about though. A very nice surprise this month along with Monsterbag, but unlike Mosterbag it doesn't fall apart in the last few stages. That final boss sure was testing my patience for a while though.

20.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've only gotten around to Tower of Guns, and it was an instant delete after one play.

I'll hopefully give Never Alone a look tonight, and see whatever this Aaru's Awakening is. Still have to power up the Vita and do my downloads there, but I'm just not excited since I already have Killzone.

Station42

Aaru's Awakening is a good game. Its controls are off-putting at first, but it's well designed.

I gave up because it becomes a bit too hard for me later on.

Dmonzy

Aaru's Awakening is a good game. Its controls are off-putting at first, but it's well designed.

I gave up because it becomes a bit too hard for me later on.

For a platformer, I found the controls to be incredibly janky when they should have been tight and accurate. I finished the game, but all of challenges weren't "souls" difficult where they are fair and rewarding, but rather just cheap and frustrating. The concept is pretty cool but personally I think the game could have been much better designed.

breakfuss

How can people be so forgiving of controls? That's like...the most important thing to me lol. That's how I interact with your freaking game. Why the hell is jump mapped to L1 or whatever. Why is it unresponsive? I hate to be so harsh when I'm sure this was a small team. I'm sure they are talented people, but Aaura missed the mark, sorry. I don't think PS+ should be a repository for "games I wouldn't have bought".

awp69

How can people be so forgiving of controls? That's like...the most important thing to me lol. That's how I interact with your freaking game. Why the hell is jump mapped to L1 or whatever. Why is it unresponsive? I hate to be so harsh when I'm sure this was a small team. I'm sure they are talented people, but Aaura missed the mark, sorry. I don't think PS+ should be a repository for "games I wouldn't have bought".

I agree. I played two levels and said screw it. I'd take Atari 2600 graphics with great controls over a beautiful game that looks like a Monet painting with horrible controls.

Bad controls = bad game.

And aside from Never Alone, I feel like the other two PS+ games for PS4 games this month were games they knew sucked and wouldn't sell well. Tower Of Guns looked like it could be fun but is a mess.

Give us one great game (like Rayman Legends that Xbox One had recently as a GwG) instead of two crappy games and one okay game (Never Alone is decent but I still wouldn't call it great by any means).

hawk2025

Tower of Guns feels like squandered potential due to just plain not playing well.

Aaru is just... I don't know, it doesn't play well. It's not tight, and it required tightness. The presentation is also straight up bizarre. That first boss battle was jank-town with the transitions between the phases. I'm done with it.

Haven't tried Never Alone yet.

Overall, this month is looking like a pretty big PS+ miss -- first time in years I've said this.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Jump is mapped to L1 because your right thumb is on the right stick for aiming. And it is not unresponsive. I really do get the feeling that people just found it different, got frustrated and never gave the game a fair shake. I mean christ, how in the world can you not see why jump is on L1? That speaks to how little you played.

Okay, so I've been trying to play Killzone: Mercenary after hearing how good it is. (Or rather, how relatively good it is)

I find this game nearly unplayable. Any FPS' on the Vita seem to control like absolute garbage. I don't care if everything else about the game is good (which, after the first mission, I found a good amount of it was interesting), but if I am having trouble with precision in a game where precision is key, I'm gonna drop it.

Is there some sort of secret that I'm missing out on? Because as it stands, I'm not likely to ever boot the game up again.

FerranMG

Okay, so I've been trying to play Killzone: Mercenary after hearing how good it is. (Or rather, how relatively good it is)

I find this game nearly unplayable. Any FPS' on the Vita seem to control like absolute garbage. I don't care if everything else about the game is good (which, after the first mission, I found a good amount of it was interesting), but if I am having trouble with precision in a game where precision is key, I'm gonna drop it.

Is there some sort of secret that I'm missing out on? Because as it stands, I'm not likely to ever boot the game up again.

Yeah, I can't get used to the vita sticks for FPS.

Renpatsu

Are you adjusting the stick sensitivity and incorporating the gyro aiming?

awp69

Jump is mapped to L1 because your right thumb is on the right stick for aiming. And it is not unresponsive. I really do get the feeling that people just found it different, got frustrated and never gave the game a fair shake. I mean christ, how in the world can you not see why jump is on L1? That speaks to how little you played.

Sorry, but regardless of how they are mapped, I found the controls quite horrid for a platformer where precise controls are very important.

I'm not the only one either. The PC version got some pretty harsh reviews ( 4/10 from Gamespot just as an example) for the same reasons. I had hoped they would have been made tighter on PS4 but sadly this isn't the case.

xrnzaaas

I finally found some time to play Never Alone and, well, it was pretty bad. I mean I enjoyed the educational aspect but the gameplay itself was weak. Plus the game was way too short (or maybe that's a good thing? ;)). Let's hope that the next month offers better games.

Greddleok

Honestly I didn't give Aaruu's awakening much of a shot because the animation the playable character had made me feel nauseated. It just moved in such a weird and badly animated way that I couldn't bare to play. Especially as the controls were kinda unresponsive. That may be the fault of the controller for all I know.
Tower of guns wasn't my cup of tea, and I've yet to try never alone (which looks like the best of the bunch). Shame, it was a pretty weak month in my opinion, but there have been so many fantastic games on PS+ that I feel like my sub has been paid for multiple times over.

cslesce

I can't decide this:

US PS+ will ran out soon, plus i also have UK PS+ till 2016 and beyond.

Should i leave US PS+ to expire and never look back?

I can't decide this:

US PS+ will ran out soon, plus i also have UK PS+ till 2016 and beyond.

Should i leave US PS+ to expire and never look back?

I had both for a while but let my US sub run out about a year ago. Since the games are the same and PS+ discounts are not as good and plentiful as they were in the past there's really no point.

xrnzaaas

I had both for a while but let my US sub run out about a year ago. Since the games are the same and PS+ discounts are not as good and plentiful as they were in the past there's really no point.

Yeah it's really not worth it for the discounts alone. Both the EU and US stores have a fair share of good and crappy sales.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Very disappointed in Never Alone. I get all of the hype about having the game teach about the culture, but I just don't think it plays very well. Tower of Guns is fun for a while but grows stale very quickly, and I haven't played Aaru's Awakening for long but it hasn't impressed.

I'm not one to complain but I think this is the worst month yet for the PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Never alone is another on my list of games I bought at launch, never played, and then they came out for free on PS+

Will I never learn?

Edit: can we ditch these knack army avatars now?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Never alone is another on my list of games I bought at launch, never played, and then they came out for free on PS+

Will I never learn?

Edit: can we ditch these knack army avatars now?

You could ditch them weeks ago. You got let off the hook early. Can't find the thread at the moment, but yeah.

desu

I finally found some time to play Never Alone and, well, it was pretty bad. I mean I enjoyed the educational aspect but the gameplay itself was weak. Plus the game was way too short (or maybe that's a good thing? ;)).

I thought it was okay, the cultural aspect is pretty cool. It's just that there isn't much gameplay, because of this I thought the game's length was about perfect. I would have been bored to death if the game had been twice as long as it was now. It's a simple game and the videos about the culture etc. are pretty good. However I felt it costs too much (checked Steam and it's apparently 14.99€ usually) for the content that it offers. Overall still better than Aaru and Tower of Guns (which I haven't played but looks rather meh).

Hope next month has a strong line up, as much as I hate PSN+ complaints, this month felt really really weak.

xrnzaaas

I thought it was okay, the cultural aspect is pretty cool. It's just that there isn't much gameplay, because of this I thought the game's length was about perfect. I would have been bored to death if the game had been twice as long as it was now. It's a simple game and the videos about the culture etc. are pretty good. However I felt it costs too much (checked Steam and it's apparently 14.99€ usually) for the content that it offers. Overall still better than Aaru and Tower of Guns (which I haven't played but looks rather meh).

Hope next month has a strong line up, as much as I hate PSN+ complaints, this month felt really really weak.

Some of the platforming isn't that simple (lot of precision required, you're frequently running away from something/someone, there are also bugs in the AI) and people interested only in the educational/cultural aspect might have problems with them. Valiant Hearts from last month was a much much better example of a product with an educational side. Its difficulty level was perfect (plus it offered a bigger variety of levels and puzzles). As for the length, in my opinion the game should be at least 4-5 hours and plus there's even some backtracking at the end and that totally shouldn't happen in a game that's about 2,5 hours long.

nib95

Banned
Aaru's Awakening looks like a less polished version of Ori and the Blind Forest, that said, will still give it a proper go when my backlog has cleared somewhat. Really wanted to play Never Alone, so I'm glad that got added!

awp69

Aaru's Awakening looks like a less polished version of Ori and the Blind Forest, that said, will still give it a proper go when my backlog has cleared somewhat.
They're not even close. Ori is miles above it and is one of my favorite games of the year and one of the best platformers I've ever played.

Aaru's Awakening only has artwork going for it. The gameplay is horrible.

skybald

Really liking Transistor. Finally catching up on my PS plus back log as I am saving for a trip to Montreal so I won't be buying anything for a while

Top Bottom