• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Art Academy |OT| Make Ken Sugimori Proud

Robin64

zlCfzSF6Fe4K0As1y-

Developer: Headstrong Games
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: June 19th 2014 (Japan), July 4th 2014 (Europe), October 24th 2014 (US)
Formats: Nintendo 3DS (eShop Download ~330MB)

Nintendo's recent trend of crossing over multiple franchises brings us the adorable Pokémon Art Academy. Obviously teaching people how to draw Pokémon is far better than teaching them how to draw boring real things, like a boat or a duck. Of course, there is still a Free Draw mode where you can paint anything you want.

Screenshots

zlCfzSH4XfIc51CZ-H
zlCfzSH4TKci45SP0s

zlCfzSHzyckOwFeobT

menu-logo.png

While the 3DS has had Miiverse for a while now, no games have integrated it until now. Pokémon Art Academy is the first 3DS game to allow posting to Miiverse from within the game. There will even be Miiverse competitions, apparently!

Pokémon Art Academy Miiverse Community

Reviews

Nintendo World Report - 8/10
Pokémon Art Academy takes both franchises in a weird direction, but the true miracle is that it makes a more entertaining experience.

Zenaku

It's a nice game, and the drawing tools it gives you are nice (love the marker pen) but I was flabbergasted at the lack of any tutorial or free-paint images for Gardevoir. Not even a Ralts or Kirlia. Absolutely unacceptable.

i just drew a handful of giant stupid anime eyes, a smiley mouth consisting of a single thick black line (like on real life animals), and a clown nose, onto a primary colored basic shape

I'd probably be awesome at this game

JoeM86

Oh, I didn't see you made this, Robin64 :)

Anyway, had this game for a couple of weeks now, and hell, one of my pieces is still listed as a top post on Miiverse after a couple of days ^_^ (https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKEl_jbPIg)

Here's some of mine
And one done without any form of template or reference (no Noibat template...what a farce :p )

It has actually improved my skills, but my impatience won out, and some Ididn't even know looked so bad until upload i.e. Primal Kyogre's facial markings. Before this, my art skills were comparable to the rival's

wmlk

Is it really good to practice drawing with a stylus on an LCD display? I understand this is a game but it doesn't really make much sense. :p

Elija2

The rival attempts just crack me up so much.

zlCfzSIGDIsejbhy8j

zlCfzSIBPXA1aNmIsy

zlCfzSIA9Jco7sN-IR

I think it's pretty smart that they show not-so-good drawings. Kids (and me) would probably get discouraged looking at amazing drawings that they couldn't replicate.

I hope they make a new regular Art Academy game for 3DS with Miiverse integration now that they've shown that it's possible.

JoeM86

Oct for US? :(

Thats a long gap in the release dates. Why does NOA come up with these dates like these, like Layton VS Phoenix and Bravely Default?

I think they try to gear it for a time when they're more likely to sell, so not in like early parts of the year or summer, but rather throw everything in at Autumn and pray for Black Friday sales.

I think they try to gear it for a time when they're more likely to sell, so not in like early parts of the year or summer, but rather throw everything in at Autumn and pray for Black Friday sales.
But this is a digital release?

Makes no sense.

At least that Manga program is coming next week. Would've been a nice companion game to this one.

Is it really good to practice drawing with a stylus on an LCD display? I understand this is a game but it doesn't really make much sense. :p

The 3DS touchscreen is a bit small, but reasonably precise. I wouldn't say it's a substitute for a sketchpad, but you can still learn from practicing on it. The concepts and techniques this game teaches can easily be transferred over to drawing on other mediums.

It's a retail game, not eShop only.
Really? Then it'll be at least $29.99 US dollars!

:(
The 3DS touchscreen is a bit small, but reasonably precise. I wouldn't say it's a substitute for a sketchpad, but you can still learn from practicing on it. The concepts and techniques this game teaches can easily be transferred over to drawing on other mediums.
Yes, but having the XL helps. I did pick up the Art Academy game for cheap and it works pretty well.

I recommend a screen protector since you'll be scratching the screen with the stylus!

Robin64

Really odd how Game are still "out of stock" for the retail copies and have no download option either. I normally go to them for codes because they are £5 cheaper than eShop direct, but alas...

TrickRoom

I don't know why, but seeing this game all the time makes me smile. I didn't really give it much thought until I realized, "yes, I actually want to be a non-crappy pokemon artist."

ZeroX03

Banned
I want this out of morbid curiosity, but I'm a terrible artist and it seems to be a full priced title on the NZ eshop ($70). That's more than double what it should be really.

I like those drawing games, but after using my drawing tablet (Wacom), getting back to those screens (Wii U / 3DS / Phones) is so hard. I miss the pressure levels.

CDX

I like those drawing games, but after using my drawing tablet (Wacom), getting back to those screens (Wii U / 3DS / Phones) is so hard. I miss the pressure levels.

The DS had pressure sensitive screens. But only homebrew could take advantage of it, because for some reason Nintendo didn't allow official software to use pressure sensitivity.

I wonder if the 3DS also has pressure sensitive screens that Nintendo isn't allowing official software to use.

The DS had pressure sensitive screens. But only homebrew could take advantage of it, because for some reason Nintendo didn't allow official software to use pressure sensitivity.

I wonder if the 3DS also has pressure sensitive screens that Nintendo isn't allowing official software to use.

lol

you ever see what a DS owned by a child for several years ends up looking like?

now imagine what the bottom screen would look like even a month after a kid gets a game and it tells him to press down harder on the screen to make something happen

I want this out of morbid curiosity, but I'm a terrible artist and it seems to be a full priced title on the NZ eshop ($70). That's more than double what it should be really.

Anyone who is a total beginner actually *really* should consider picking this up.

The game literally assumes you know jack about art. Starting slowly with super simple colouring exercises and upwards (shading is not even covered till about 10 lessons in). The game even provides a rival, whose attempts your work will AWAYS beat, so long as you put some effort in & premade backgrounds unlocked after you finish so, you can see how neat your work looks with effective framing.

Outside main lessons there are also "quick sketch" activities that offer a varied range of pokemon, steps you gently through the sketching and uses spotpass to deliver new additional lessons for free.

I always think it's a bit of a shame when people say "this should be cheaper!" I realize not everyone is into art. But Art Academy is a bargain compared to a comparative art course and even better focused than some you would pay £200+ for. These games genuinely teach you professional art skills that can apply beyond the lessons, and does so in a way that always seeks to build peoples confidence. It's worth it's rrp and more really.

Platy

Looks awesome .... but for someone like me that is only interested in the free paint and miiverse comptetitions .... not sure if I am ok with full price, specialy considering how there are thousands of others art academy ...

but the marker option is tempting =x

Narroo

Oh dear. A bad fanart generator.

On topic,
I'm currently playing "Lessons for Everyone." I wonder how the tutorials on this one are?

Het_Nkik

Oct for US? :(

Thats a long gap in the release dates. Why does NOA come up with these dates like these, like Layton VS Phoenix and Bravely Default?

Luke has a different voice actor in the US than he does in Europe so I just assumed a lot of the Layton delays stem from them having to re-record and mix all his lines.

Robin64

Finally got the funds to purchase this. Downloading now!

Forgot to ask, for those that have it, any Pokémon-esque music in this? Or is it more akin to the Art Academy series?

Top Bottom