• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity |OT| Infinite Dungeons via Toilet Bowls

Wow that zoomed in map is the biggest disappointment for me. I knew something felt off playing the demo and now I know why :/.

Will still buy in a month or two to enjoy the story, but the gameplay was never that fun to begin with.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah the zoomed in was a huge turn-off for me too.

With that in mind I like the twist in the end.

Maybe. It just seems like the designers lost creativity and originally.

I disagree, if anything I think later gens are more creative over the early gens

I played through the demo today and while I found it fairly entertaining, it seemed really geared towards younger gamers. It really is an extremely easy game. The only other thing that bothered me was the story line/text in that the characters seemed almost stupid. The mere fact
the two characters couldn't figure out that the yellow Pokemon who bumped into them on the way into town stole their blue crystals
which was patently obvious was more frustrating then anything. But not just that, in every scene where there is dialogue, it seems to take them several minutes to convey a simple thought or idea. Yes, I get it. It's time to go to the caves. I don't need a ten minute conversation to get that point. I know a lot of rpg's share that similar trait, but I found it especially annoying in this.

I know it sounds like I hated the demo, but I really didn't. Going through the dungeons was entertaining enough, if not a little simple. I may still pick a copy of this up.

Fireblend

Banned
I played through the demo today and while I found it fairly entertaining, it seemed really geared towards younger gamers. It really is an extremely easy game. The only other thing that bothered me was the story line/text in that the characters seemed almost stupid. The mere fact
the two characters couldn't figure out that the yellow Pokemon who bumped into them on the way into town stole their blue crystals
which was patently obvious was more frustrating then anything. But not just that, in every scene where there is dialogue, it seems to take them several minutes to convey a simple thought or idea. Yes, I get it. It's time to go to the caves. I don't need a ten minute conversation to get that point. I know a lot of rpg's share that similar trait, but I found it especially annoying in this.

I know it sounds like I hated the demo, but I really didn't. Going through the dungeons was entertaining enough, if not a little simple. I may still pick a copy of this up.

I dunno, as you said, most RPGs have unnecessary dialog. Remember Golden Sun? I also played through the demo and the only thing that really stuck out as bothersome was the slow text. I would expect difficulty to ramp up eventually. Then again, I don't really know the PMD series, so I can't talk about most complaints series veterans have.

Can you at least change the text speed in the full game?

That was my major gripe with the demo. I can live with not having all the Pokemon, the change in graphics and the dialogue, but the text speed just bothered me.

Can you at least change the text speed in the full game?

That was my major gripe with the demo. I can live with not having all the Pokemon, the change in graphics and the dialogue, but the text speed just bothered me.

No, unfortunately. Now that I've played through a few more dialogue scenes, though, I'm getting used to it.

Rarutos

Does anyone know if you can choose the gender of your partner in the retail version?

I want my Pikachu partner to have a notched tail. :(

JoeM86

Not just that.
- removal of IQs
- removal of Hunger
- removal of Monster Houses
- as mentioned before, very weak "normal" attack
- zoomed in camera
- story isn't as engaging vs. PMD2
- very limited selections

- Replaced with Team Skills which are far more efficient
- Hunger IS in the game
- Monster Houses are still in, and they're annoying. Team Attack can dispose of them though, as can some orbs
- As it was in the other games
- It's not zoomed in. It's relatively the same just looks different due to the fact they use models now. At least it's better than the WiiWare one
dlc4.jpg
skys-summit.png
dungeon5.jpg

- Relative
- Agreed

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmmm hunger is back? I didn't notice in the demo. And I dunno, IQ seems more fun what with passing through walls and stuff.

And normal attack deals acceptable damage back then, even at early dungeons. Here they seem to deal only 5~6 damage.

Size is still iffy though. Compare the left to the middle. I prefer the "distance" of the middle because it feels like you can see more.

JoeM86

Hmmm hunger is back? I didn't notice in the demo. And I dunno, IQ seems more fun what with passing through walls and stuff.

And normal attack deals acceptable damage back then, even at early dungeons. Here they seem to deal only 5~6 damage.

Size is still iffy though. Compare the left to the middle. I prefer the "distance" of the middle because it feels like you can see more.

Hunger is in multiple dungeons towards the end of the game. I notice no difference between the normal attacks then and now.

As for size, it's exactly the same, just seems different due to the change from sprites to models

Rarutos

Looks like gender selection for your partner was removed completely. Makes me sad. :( Guess the localization team was too lazy to put in female pronouns. ;_;

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
As for size, it's exactly the same, just seems different due to the change from sprites to models
No, it's not. In the screenshots you posted, the viewable area in the DS screenshot is eight "tiles" (for lack of a better term) high by eleven "tiles" wide. In the 3DS screenshot it appears to be five "tiles" high" by seven "tiles" wide, though it's a little harder to tell the exact horizontal number.

fernoca

Thought this thread would be more alive. :O!

Game's amazing, way better than expected. Looks like PokéPark 2, which I really liked. The music is great. Cute with charming personalities. Chose Pikachu as my main and Oshawott as my partner.

Got the free DLC too and there are already a few passwords for extra items. See myself buying more DLC. Lovely game, so far my favorite of the series; but mostly because of how it looks and that I could be Pikachu by just choosing him. :p

Cheska

So apparently I'm not very good at this game. I'm no novice when it comes to Pokemon, but I can't even beat the first boss against
Scraggy and Gurdurr

I've died a couple times now in story mode, and both times I got the message "Phew! Your carried items were not lost!" Is it up to chance whether or not I'll lose items on death? (Obviously I expect penalties to be harsher in postgame dungeons.)

Rarutos

So apparently I'm not very good at this game. I'm no novice when it comes to Pokemon, but I can't even beat the first boss against
Scraggy and Gurdurr

Just make sure you have a couple Oran Berries on hand and you should be fine. I almost lost too, but when I healed it worked out!

I've died a couple times now in story mode, and both times I got the message "Phew! Your carried items were not lost!" Is it up to chance whether or not I'll lose items on death? (Obviously I expect penalties to be harsher in postgame dungeons.)

It probably is random, since the first time I died in a story dungeon it said I lost items. :(

Also I'm kind of disappointed they took out the Wonder Mail rescue thing for Streetpass since... You pretty much have to rely on the very chance that you'll bump into someone with a 3DS walking around that has played this game. D8

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like gender selection for your partner was removed completely. Makes me sad. :( Guess the localization team was too lazy to put in female pronouns. ;_;

As someone who works in game localization, I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with laziness and more to do with some technical limitation. You don't spend hundreds of hours translating a huge game only to leave out something small out of laziness. It often comes down to something being prohibitively expensive to accommodate, or in the case of many games, it can be very difficult for the developer to program in dynamic gender pronouns.

Surprised there aren't more people playing this. Or at least commenting on it in this thread. Picked it up today and am having a lot of fun with it. Glad to see the difficulty has ramped up a bit from the demo.

You know, game, if you're going to make me go alllll the way down a corridor just to find an empty room at the other end...

...can you at least make the corridor straight? ;_;
Heh. So true. I've taken to moving around with the dpad in dungeons. Using the control stick can be a bit of a hassle in times like this.

rpmurphy

Surprised there aren't more people playing this. Or at least commenting on it in this thread. Picked it up today and am having a lot of fun with it. Glad to see the difficulty has ramped up a bit from the demo.

Heh. So true. I've taken to moving around with the dpad in dungeons. Using the control stick can be a bit of a hassle in times like this.
Big fan of T/D/S, but I'm still kind of at my fill of 3DS RPGs that need my time at the moment. :(

By the way, does this have any of the internet features like in EoS? Being able to send out a rescue request and getting email notification was useful.

Big fan of T/D/S, but I'm still kind of at my fill of 3DS RPGs that need my time at the moment. :(

By the way, does this have any of the internet features like in EoS? Being able to send out a rescue request and getting email notification was useful.
It actually does. I wasn't aware of it, but after I saw your post I looked it up in the manual and that feature is totally there! That is very cool.

There's no hunger (except in specific dungeons) in this game, unlike previous ones, so don't worry about getting hungry!

Also, Pokémon recruitment in this is a lot simpler, you can recruit Pokémon regardless of whether or not you have a full party so bring whoever you want! Also you can give presents to wild (unevolved) Pokémon to sway them into joining you, making it a much less random and painless process!

Also, all Pokémon you have recruited will now gain EXP regardless of whether they are in your party or not.

Well, those were basically the three issues I had with the game. I played the GBA one but tired of it quickly because it got too tedious, mainly due to those three things. I'm now willing to buy it; it's just a question of whether I'll actually bother to do so or not.

Rarutos

I just unlocked Companion Mode and it seems awesome.

Also, I love the Paradise building aspect of the game, it's so much fun.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just picked this up yesterday (along with Luigi's Mansion) as it was on sale. Carried over my 3 hour playtime from the demo. Running Axew (player) and Pikachu (partner). I really love the presentation in this. It reminds a bit of the PokePark series visually now, which is actually a compliment.

Rarutos

Beat the game tonight, and I must say the story was just as good as the others! Can't tell if I liked it better than Explorers or not but...
That expected bittersweet ending still got to me. ;_;

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've been doing mostly * and ** missions so far and have had no resistance at all. A bunch of text even 8 hours in. Presentation of the game is very nice, but I feel they could have streamlined things a bit better. I'm no PMD veteran, having only played the previous titles briefly. I enjoy it, but it seems like it's going to take a long, long time to move past the mind numbing beginning dungeons.

PusherT

Does your partner pokemon always accompanies you in dungeons? I wish the game wouldn't lock me out on party management.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone here NOT use their Club Nintendo code? If that's the case, I would like to buy it from you to get the free game from the NoA Club Nintendo promo.

Wow this thread went pretty dead.

I just made it to the credits once, it seems that tradition continues and the game isn't actually over at this point. I am kind of wondering if/when I can start evolving my teammates and partner. Requirements for evolution can be seen at the gift shop, but I'm guessing there's some other requirement to make it actually happen.

Rarutos

Wow this thread went pretty dead.

I just made it to the credits once, it seems that tradition continues and the game isn't actually over at this point. I am kind of wondering if/when I can start evolving my teammates and partner. Requirements for evolution can be seen at the gift shop, but I'm guessing there's some other requirement to make it actually happen.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can evolve
not long after you get "yourself" back.

Also, yeah. I kind of regret putting so much effort into the OT since it's so quiet. :(

Katzii

We don't have the game in Europe yet; another month to go. We get a demo on Thursday.

That being said, I do have a few questions that I hope can be answered!

- As someone who loved Blue Rescue Team but didn't like Explorers of Time/Darkness at all (I found it too difficult too early), will I like this one? I want something that's a bit easier, but still plays like a PMD game (going on missions, even non-story pushing ones, etc).
- I read in a review that you can no longer send passwords to people or use online features to get rescued if you faint, and this can only happen by Streetpass. Is this true? Nobody around here has a 3DS.
- How long would you peg the game's story at? I think I got a good... 25 hours out of Blue Rescue Team, and would like to be able to get a decent length of time out of this one.

Cheers!

We don't have the game in Europe yet; another month to go. We get a demo on Thursday.

- As someone who loved Blue Rescue Team but didn't like Explorers of Time/Darkness at all (I found it too difficult too early), will I like this one? I want something that's a bit easier, but still plays like a PMD game (going on missions, even non-story pushing ones, etc).
- I read in a review that you can no longer send passwords to people or use online features to get rescued if you faint, and this can only happen by Streetpass. Is this true? Nobody around here has a 3DS.
- How long would you peg the game's story at? I think I got a good... 25 hours out of Blue Rescue Team, and would like to be able to get a decent length of time out of this one.

Cheers!

- With one exception (the first boss fight) I don't think the game is too difficult early. The only complaint I have is that the range at which you can see enemies is far too small.
- Rescue is only via streetpass, as far as I can tell.
- I'm pretty sure making my way through the story took me a lot more than 25 hours, but I'm not the fastest at these things. After checking, my file has 96 hours on it (through part of the postgame), but some of that is me setting it down and falling asleep with it open.

I'm now having a hard time to stay cute or cuddly, or hax all the dungeons. Hmm... You know, I really want my mains to stay cute, but... the power... of Haxorus is compelling me!

Man, Team Skills make things seem... overpowered, and yet it also makes my life much easier on attempting to rank up by taking haaaaaard requests.

No more walking down a corridor to find myself going in circles or to a dead end!

sfog

Cheers!

1. This one is the easiest of the 3 PMD games so far, although a few bosses can be difficult and require decent item use and/or multiple attempts at beating them.

2. Yes, rescueing is Streetpass only, which sucks.

3. It took me about 23 hours to clear the story and short post-credits portion without doing much of anything in Paradise or the tougher missions/dungeons that open up later.

I don't know if this is a late posting on NOE's behalf but there is an Iwata Asks for the game

Iwata's concluding statement is interesting (by Mystery Dungeon he means outside of Pokemon):
Iwata said:
I see. Well, thank you very much. I personally feel that the Mystery Dungeon series is a representative example of a modern hardcore game, and that the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games are a continued attempt at introducing players to the joys of such games. If you focus only upon intensifying the appealing points of hardcore games, they tend to become increasingly exclusive in their reach and therefore less accessible to many potential players. Every time a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game is released, however, new players are introduced to these games and I think this is really important for the future of video games. Pokémon fans are also sure to enjoy this title too. They'll no doubt find Tomie-san's distinctive Pokémon images really fresh, especially when combined with the new features that Nintendo 3DS allows. Thank you very much for your time today, everyone.

Top Bottom