• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Fire/Leaf Pre-Sells...more than 150,000 units

Doogdogg

Fire Red and Leaf Green are top sellers even before their U.S. release.

THEY'RE BAAAACCCCKKK!!!!!!

Nintendo's Pokemon FireRed and Pokemon LeafGreen Pre-Selling Twice As Fast As Previous Pokemon Releases!

In just the first 15 days of August, hungry Pokemon fans have already reserved more than 150,000 copies of Pokemon(R) FireRed or Pokemon(R) LeafGreen for Game Boy(R) Advance - a rate more than 200 percent ahead of the 2003 Pokemon(R) Ruby and Pokemon(R) Sapphire pre-sell. Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire went on to rank No. 2 and No. 3 in video games sold in the United States that year.

Pokemon FireRed and Pokemon LeafGreen will be available Sept. 7 at an MSRP of $39.99 each. The games will come bundled with the new Game Boy(R) Advance Wireless Adapter, which will let players trade, battle and chat with one another with no connecting cords. Those reserving copies in advance at participating retailers also receive a copy of the Pokemon Pocket Trainer's Guide.

"The advance sales on the Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire versions last year were phenomenal - combined, they sold through more than 4 million games in America alone," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "This pre-sell indicates more than twice the player interest!"

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5528

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
efralope said:
I know this can't outsell San Andreas, but it's going to be a good battle between FiLe and Halo 2

I'm just working at a TRU in Rochester NY, but the amount of presells we have for these games is MAD.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
miyuru said:
Who keeps buying these things? I'm not a hater...just incredulous.

The kids. Seriously, you've got kids who maybe just turned six, meaning they weren't able to comprehend shit when Pokemon was in its prime here, and they're going nuts to have their parents reserve not one, but BOTH of the games for them.
Not to mention the wireless adapters really turn some folks on.

Never underestimate the kiddies.

luxsol

I used to watch the cartoon a lot back when i was in HS. I collected some of the toys
psy.jpg
but I've never played the game.
I'm actually thinking about buying these upcoming ones, so I'm wondering... are the Pokemon games actually any good?

cvxfreak

The Pokemon games are GREAT.

Add one purchase to that list because I will be pre-ordering both titles tomorrow.

Alcibiades

actually, I know several people who are already college-age that are going to still Pokemon fans, and even Ed Fries said his favorite Nintendo game at the moment back in '03 was the new Pokemon...

RevenantKioku

efralope said:
actually, I know several people who are already college-age that are going to still Pokemon fans, and even Ed Fries said his favorite Nintendo game at the moment back in '03 was the new Pokemon...

Oh no doubt, I enjoy them as well, but sweet zombie Jesus on a malt liqueur hobo the kiddies swarm for them.

cvxfreak

RevenantKioku said:
Oh no doubt, I enjoy them as well, but sweet zombie Jesus on a malt liqueur hobo the kiddies swarm for them.

Hey, if the Pokemon games were terrible, people wouldn't be going for more pickings, right? Especially remade pickings. =P

Mrbob

DavidDayton said:
It does come with the wireless adaptor -- I think that was supposed to explain the $40 price.

If you say so. Premium price for a tiny add on, the typical Nintendo way of business. Their fans, especially Pokemon ones, will lap it up.

Meier

Mrbob said:
If you say so. Premium price for a tiny add on

A tiny add-on? What the shit? Anyway, the MSRP on RuSa was $34.99 and they went for $25 or so their first week at places like Wal-Mart. If it turns out that Pokémon Emerald comes with it also when released in Japan, I may consider holding off until its US release and just getting that instead.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Mrbob said:
If you say so. Premium price for a tiny add on, the typical Nintendo way of business. Their fans, especially Pokemon ones, will lap it up.

In all fairness, I do think that $10 for a wireless adaptor is a fairly decent price... I don't see how it qualifies as a "tiny add on", especially considering that EB and Gamestop would probably be trying to sell the title for $35 with nothing added.

I'm getting it, and hopefully going to talk my sister in getting as well so we can have fun wireless battles and what not. I have yet to skip one of the main Pokemon series.

cvxfreak

Meier said:
A tiny add-on? What the shit? Anyway, the MSRP on RuSa was $34.99 and they went for $25 or so their first week at places like Wal-Mart. If it turns out that Pokémon Emerald comes with it also when released in Japan, I may consider holding off until its US release and just getting that instead.

If you can live with the Japanese, then do so by all means. There aren't any compatibility issues. :)

AniHawk

I don't think I'll be buying this... I said that about Pokemon Ruby though.

And if I get it... I think I'll get Green. I already have Red, Blue, and Yellow (the last two are my sister's [and yellow came with the GBC]). Though I'd keep the pattern with Red, Ruby and Fire Red.

ChrisReid

Mrbob said:

Hey Hater, the regular MSRP is $30-35. A $5-10 "premium" for a wireless adapter is a good deal here on planet Earth. The old link cable would be $10. That being said, places are actually only selling the game for $30-35, so yeah, the fans will lap it up.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=B160506A
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243798.asp
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...294535-4490555?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Broshnat said:
I'm sorry but pokemon is just a great game at the end of the day...

IDWTP

The first games were great, even the second set was ok but its totally stale now, in everything from the battles to the graphics (basically the only update the GBA versions have recieved in graphics is a few more colours) And I think the story and the dialogue totally lets it down, i know its aimed at kids but you can still include comedy and a real coherent story.

Its great for kids, but nintendo has just sat on the series and not let it grow since the first iteration of Red and Blue came out.

P90

RevenantKioku said:
The kids. Seriously, you've got kids who maybe just turned six, meaning they weren't able to comprehend shit when Pokemon was in its prime here, and they're going nuts to have their parents reserve not one, but BOTH of the games for them.
Not to mention the wireless adapters really turn some folks on.

Never underestimate the kiddies.

And old farts like me. Gotta get 'em all!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
It's like I've been saying: those bundled wireless adapters are going to drive sales hard. I think that's going to be a really big deal for kids who either didn't have a link cable or couldn't understand what to ask their parents for or even how to get it to work. With this game, they'll be able to trade and battle instantaneously...as long as their friend as a new copy, too.

"That's too bad, Jimmy. I really wanted to give you my lvl. 65 Charizard. It's a shame you have the old, stupid version with no wireless adapter."

+10,000,000 sales

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
That's hardly fair, the series has seen plenty of additions since the first game. An in game clock that affects when Pokemon will even show up to be caught (not to mention calendar events), the cellphone, the breeding/genders, obviously improvements to the gameplay (as you'd expect with any sequel), new Pokemon, two-on-two battles (as in two Pokemon each), 4 player multiplayer, new items, more side quests and new classes.

I'm sure there are things I'm missing too. The core mechanics of the series haven't changed, but that can go for practically every successfull game series. I'll agree that they hardly pushed the GBAs graphics though.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Yes, go Pokemon!!!

I might buy it too, just for the nostalgia factor of replaying the game that got me in the Pokemon craze years ago. Sadly my Pokemon Blue cart died and I can't play it anymore :(

Link316

Banned
the pocket trainer preorder bonus is very nice, it includes a map and the guide is in full color and printed on heavy paper

Top Bottom