• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poker time again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IRC style that is.

Server: irc.xelium.net
Channel: #tourney

If you're using mIRC, you can get a script to give a nice GUI to this game.
If not, you're still welcome to play.
---

1) Download mIRC if you haven't already done so, from http://www.mirc.com

2) Once downloaded, set up your IRC nick, and exit out of the connect dialog.

3) Download my IRCPoker script. It resides at http://www.rit.edu/~jaw3289/ircpoker.zip

4) Unzip the full contents of the archive (ie, extract that outer folder too) to your mirc directory. Your mirc directory should now contain an IRCpoker folder and its contents.

5) Back to mIRC load it up, and exit out of the connect dialog. Load the script by typing:
/load -rs ircpoker\ircpoker.mrc

You should see a welcome message appear confirming that the script has loaded. You only need to load the script once.

5) Join the Xelium server (irc.xelium.net). Do this by typing /server irc.xelium.net

6) Join the poker tournament channel, #tourney. Await further instructions there. You can fire up the IRC poker script itself by right clicking in the channel and selecting Start IRCpoker.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Zork Rocked.
Nethack & Rogue.. Rocked.
Leather Goddesses of Phobos... Rocked.
Hitchhikers... Rocked.

IRC Text based poker.... Easy listening with Val Doonican, on a sunday afternoon, with Grandpa.

Sorry :p

Freeburn said:
Zork Rocked.
Nethack & Rogue.. Rocked.
Leather Goddesses of Phobos... Rocked.
Hitchhikers... Rocked.

IRC Text based poker.... Easy listening with Val Doonican, on a sunday afternoon, with Grandpa.

Sorry :p

You... Dumb.

Seriously though, could I get an honest answer as to why when someone wants to start a Poker game in a shitty client where 3 people can't even MEET together 30 people from the forum jump at the chance within 10 minutes?

But when we have some solid software that works perfectly, can actually RUN tournament style poker (which the other software can not), I get TWO people within an hour and a half?

I'd just like a solid answer as why noone even CONSIDERS trying this.

Thanks.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I've tried various online pokers out, some were clients that were graphical and had built in chat, ladder & virtual cash balances (all virtual, all free)

If I wanted to play poker, thats the kind of client I'd use again, even if it's web/java based.

I can see why its an interesting project, and can even see why some IRC regulars may enjoy it, but for me? no. I go on IRC to chat, and have an aversion to most scripts that attempt to make IRC something that it isn't.

Thats it, in a nutshell.

Ferrio

Banned
Freeburn said:
Personally, I've tried various online pokers out, some were clients that were graphical and had built in chat, ladder & virtual cash balances (all virtual, all free)

If I wanted to play poker, thats the kind of client I'd use again, even if it's web/java based.

I can see why its an interesting project, and can even see why some IRC regulars may enjoy it, but for me? no. I go on IRC to chat, and have an aversion to most scripts that attempt to make IRC something that it isn't.

Thats it, in a nutshell.

The thing is we have been doing a webbased/client one... but the servers are screwed up and not everyone is able to meet together.

Why wouldnt i do the irc thing? Because i dont feel like installing something when ive already got this program up and running. Plus you can sell these play chips over ebay. :O Sometimes when fooling around, i make about 5 dollars worth in 15 minutes or so, so i dump it in a dummy account for later. Once your account is empty, they give you 1000 more free chips.

Freeburn said:

Thats it, in a nutshell.

You make no sense.

IRCpoker pros:
- Everyone can meet together
- Actually deals tournament style (something no other client does, period)
- Small GUI to make action easy to follow and play

Cons:
- Very much text based

--

PokerRoom pros:
- OMG THE GIRL IN THE CORNER HAS BOOBIES

...I'm gonna go play Doom 3 now.

Considering i dont give half a shit if we pile in 20 random GA members that i dont know, that isn't a "plus" for me.

If some want to join me though, im in "Fun Gunlod", it's a 100/200 NL free chip table.

Mister Zimbu said:
Cons:
- Very much text based

I disagree. You still have a gui for cards, check/raise/fold buttons etc... If anyone has a problem reading how much someone bets, or if they fold/check... I feel sorry for them.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
McLesterolBeast said:
Why wouldnt i do the irc thing? Because i dont feel like installing something when ive already got this program up and running. Plus you can sell these play chips over ebay. :O Sometimes when fooling around, i make about 5 dollars worth in 15 minutes or so, so i dump it in a dummy account for later. Once your account is empty, they give you 1000 more free chips.

You can sell play money chips on Ebay?

Yea, it was weird. Some guys started offering me cash for a chunk of my stack and i figured they were scamming me. Some other people said to check ebay and that they're sold all the time. For 1,000,000 chips, you can usually get about $25.

Ive got two accounts. One to hold all the winnings and the other to take free chips with. You cant get more free chips unless your account is empty. When it is empty, you can get 1000 chips up to 3 times every hour.

Raw64life

I got 2,000,000 chips on PokerStars and sold it for $100. I have no idea why someone would bid on it but I'm not complaining.

Yeah, I left after ONE PERSON showed up in two hours' time.

Kinda frustrating working for days straight on something only for noone to even give it a fucking chance. Now I know how Ubi felt with BG&E :). Just had to vent.

Grifter

So does anyone play actual poker...like for money? Join me for some SNG tourneys or ring games if you'd like. I'm on Pacific, Royal Vegas, and Pokerstars (haven't deposited to that one).

Ferrio

Banned
Grifter said:
So does anyone play actual poker...like for money? Join me for some SNG tourneys or ring games if you'd like. I'm on Pacific, Royal Vegas, and Pokerstars (haven't deposited to that one).

Ya, every week with my professors. Would I play poker for money online? HELL NO.

Mashing

Yah, I have to wonder why you wouldn't play poker online (unless you like to read peoples reactions and movements at a poker table--which isn't very easy to do at all). Or are you afraid of those pay-pal like sites (to be honest I don't entirely trust those either).

Ferrio

Banned
Mashing said:
Yah, I have to wonder why you wouldn't play poker online (unless you like to read peoples reactions and movements at a poker table--which isn't very easy to do at all). Or are you afraid of those pay-pal like sites (to be honest I don't entirely trust those either).

I play for money cause I like hanging out with friends. It's just not that fun playing online, and especially not enough for the possibilty to lose money.

Grifter

Do you have any questions, Mashing? Maybe I can help. They all seem to use Neteller, and my friends (about 6 guys) and I have had no problems w/them. Some use a service called Citadel that verifies your checks immediately which I've tried, and that worked like a charm. Once you know which to trust, you can sign up to a few different sites since they all have nice sign-up bonuses. If you already know all this, sorry. :)

Ferrio

Banned
I've heard of several sites that my professors play at. They're nuts, they play like 5 tables at once. One of them makes more with online poker than he does being a professor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom