• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: Conaway, Schiff threaten to subpoena White House over Comey tapes

Zolo

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...eatens-subpoena-over-trump-comey-tapes-240107

The leaders of the House investigation into Russia’s election meddling are threatening to subpoena the White House for records of President Donald Trump’s conversations with former FBI Director James Comey, saying a Tweet from the president isn’t enough to clear things up.

Reps. Mike Conaway (R-Texas) and Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) said in a joint statement the White House needs to clarify whether it has “recordings, memoranda, or other documents” — adding that they will consider using a “compulsory process” to ensure a satisfactory response.

The two lawmakers had requested the White House turn over the tapes by last Friday, prompting a Tweet from Trump in which he said he had no idea “whether there are ‘tapes’ or recordings of my conversations with James Comey, but I did not make, and do not have, any such recordings.” The White House later sent Conaway and Schiff a letter referring them to Trump’s Tweet.

But the two lawmakers now say that’s not enough.

“By only referring to the President’s statement, the White House’s letter stops short of clarifying for the Committee whether the White House has any responsive recordings, memoranda, or other documents,” they said.

liquidtmd

Banned
'Yeah we're gonna need a more reputable source than the President of The United States'

The problem is with a subpoena at this point is, the White House is now populated with a broad core of Trump plants - even if the official response to a subpoena is 'they don't exist', I doubt blame people for having no faith in that.

great, now we're either going to find out that Trump just says that to scare people (likely) or that the White House is wired from top to bottom (oh no)

Volimar

I mean he either has them and he needs to turn them over, or he doesn't have them and he's on record admitting to witness tampering.

Top Bottom