• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POLL: Favorite Resident Evil game

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Miburou said:
Yeah, I figured as much, but since REmake wasn't getting all the votes (RE2 seems to have just as many), it didn't make that much sense. Oh well.

Of course it makes sense. Lots of people mentioned REmake. His 'joke' referenced that. Whether or not REmake is the most popular choice in this poll is irrelevant.

Mejilan

REmake is a popular choice. He sarcastically commented on it.

His comment made sense, on a sarcastic level. Where's your gripe?

Miburou

Gripe? I knew he was being sarcastic with his comment (either that, or he's blind as a bat), I just didn't think it worked that well since RE2 was getting just as many votes. And since you replied, I thought I'd explain myself.

firex

I like RE2 the most. Just has the best setting and replay value of the series (gameplay is pretty much the same in the whole series so it's hard to judge on that).

Mejilan

It's all good. Weird people are interesting people. After all, I'm the weirdest guy I've ever met.

I've played them all. Finish all except for RECV. I reckon I was 1 hour away from completion but said "this game is a turd" and stop playing

Daigoro

im going to be the only one who agrees with CVX and pick RE0 as my fave. (unless i missed someone)

i really didnt get it the 1st time i played it. i had a difficult time and got frustrated 1/2 way through and put it down. when i decided to try again, i played it 3 times straight through, with a bunch of Leech Hunter on the side (i know CVX loves Leech Hunter like i do, good taste :) )

the graphics, the music and the settings are all great fun. i really enjoy RE0.

but i really like all of the games in the series. RE3 being the only one i never finished multiple times (or once all the way through honestly, something i need to remedy).

REmake is awesome, but i find 0 better.

im really looking forward to RE4. it will be the first RE game that i actually by upon release (ive allays been a few months behind, or waited for a price drop). im really looking forward to it, and pretty damn sure i wont be dissapointed.

AeroGod

Resident Evil 4. I only say that because watching those gameplay videos is more fun then playing any of the Resident Evil games. Im hotly anticipating it, as should you all.

Ar_

Hard to choose.
The first RE was good for its time, an original game for consoles and rarely seen on computers, plus I liked the realistic looks.

RE2 had the cool double scenario and extra missions, improved on everything, but the anime looks weren't as engaging and the gameplay started getting old already.

RE Nemesis got the cool real time path selection, but lost the double scenatio, gameplay was really old already, and lacked a story to hold my interest. First RE I didnt complete.

RE CVX had that embarassingly enjoable story and a refreshing improvement of the locations.

RE0 and REmake, I barely played. Bought out of duty but the poor excuse for gameplay, ridicolous puzzles, and terrible inventory system already exausthed my patience in past games.

Outbreaks and whatever else came out, I didn't buy.

Last, I have little interest in RE4.
Hard to get excited when so many similiar games have and are coming out, and this one doesn't look especially interesting.

Daigoro

you shoudlve stopped after the first one then.

learn from your mistakes. or just keep buying RE games that you are bored with. either way.

maskrider

I'll pick RE4, then the original RE (which is the only RE that I had finished). RE Remake and RE0 look good, but my memories are with the original RE.

I picked RE4 because it does not have the fixed view like the other REs, didn't spend enough time to be able to comment on the other REs (than just buying them, ha ha ha).

Lakitu

st5fu
Resident Evil 2, one of all time favourite games. The characters were great, the locations were amazing (the lab comes to mind), the music and it was just all round amazing. Followed by REmake.

I'm hoping Resident Evil 4 surpasses it.

I like them all. If I had to pick I'd say CV for its story and action sequences. And of course the shock of
Wesker returning from the dead
boy I'm glad I avoided spoilers for CV. :D

cvxfreak

Miburou said:
Well, it's all relative to when they were released. I got RE back in March 1996, and frankly didn't like it that much. I thought the graphics were a mixed bag, and the game was a bit frustrating (choose the wrong path and you're fucked). I had a save just before the last boss with Chris, but I couldn't beat the last boss, and then that save got erased. A year later I played using Jill and finished the game, and appreciated it a lot more for its atmosphere and shock tactics.

But I was pumped for RE2, and enjoyed it a lot for its more action oriented approach. I guess replaying it over and over to get an A rank made me appreciate it even more. And I watched my brother unlock Tofu which was a damn impressive achievement.

I also liked RE3, and to this day don't understand the hate for it. Nemesis was a brilliant idea, and the game was even more action oriented than RE2. Those moments where you had to make a choice when ambushed by Nemesis were freaking intense.

My love for the series diminished when RECV came out. It wasn't bad, and it had higher production values than past REs, but it was more of the same, and I was getting tired of it. Still, I bought my GC when RE came out, and was really disappointed. Less of a remake and more of a bastardization in my eyes, it really had little in common with RE1.

RE0 was OK, but again more of the same. But I'm looking forward to RE4 since it's supposed to be a bigger step than any of the previous games were over their predecessors.

So in short, while I agree that the series has improved, it hasn't improved enough to keep my interest and enjoyment level as high as it once were. Here's hoping RE4 will change that.

That's pretty cool.

I don't really like RE1 much because I played it after CV, and I couldn't stand the graphics or the bad voice acting (I don't find them very funny). It also felt too slow for me.

RE2 on the other hand I find vastly overrated. It had a quasi-interesting story, but it's very superficial and in some instances corny (CV and Zero are just as guilty but they have redeeming gameplay factors). On the gameplay front, it was marginally improved from RE1, but the second scenarios were poorly implemented since it was a modified version of scenario A. Add to that the relatively short length of one scenario.

RE3 and CV were great for me. The emphasis on action and path changing in RE3 and the length and production values of CV really impressed me, and I found both games very fun to play. CV by far also has the best music in the series.

Zero and REmake weren't that new in the end, but were better than any before it. I find the REmake totally necessary, because the original RE1 in my eyes is a poor game. Zero has that special touch for me, because of the great atmosphere and different array of enemies.

Outbreak 1 was alright, it was a good game but it needed work, but File 2 is pretty trashy. -_-

RE2 on the other hand I find vastly overrated. It had a quasi-interesting story, but it's very superficial and in some instances corny (CV and Zero are just as guilty but they have redeeming gameplay factors). On the gameplay front, it was marginally improved from RE1, but the second scenarios were poorly implemented since it was a modified version of scenario A. Add to that the relatively short length of one scenario.

Wow. I'm gonna respectfully disagree with just about EVERYTHING you just said. But I guess its tough to appreciate the quality of an older game in this series when you go through it backwards. What were you playing back in 1998?

ourumov

I am gonna get killed for this but although I played RE2 in the old days I didn't find it that great.
My favourite ones have been RE and RE:0. I found the story, locations and characters from 0 awesome and it ranks between my favourite games. I wish they had released it for the N64.

cvxfreak

KilledByBill said:
Wow. I'm gonna respectfully disagree with just about EVERYTHING you just said. But I guess its tough to appreciate the quality of an older game in this series when you go through it backwards. What were you playing back in 1998?

It's not a bad game by any means, and it's on the high list of my favorite games in general... but next to the other REs, I can't find anything that isn't done superiorly in any of the other REs.

ourumov said:
I am gonna get killed for this but although I played RE2 in the old days I didn't find it that great.
My favourite ones have been RE and RE:0. I found the story, locations and characters from 0 awesome and it ranks between my favourite games. I wish they had released it for the N64.

You and me both. :D (You mean REmake, right?)

I've got mad love for RE2, CV, and REmake. It's hard to pick a favorite, really. RE3, RE0, and the original are all good games too, but didn't quite have the same appeal.

have to ask... what's good about RE CV?. I hated its lacklustre running - watching the camera slowly cruise over claire as she runs and thinking.. she's not running fast enough. Polygonal environmental meant a reduction in atmosphere which is BAD for a RE game. Leonardo DiCaprio clone steve was also the worst RE character bar (leech man)

cvxfreak

TheGreenGiant said:
have to ask... what's good about RE CV?. I hated its lacklustre running - watching the camera slowly cruise over claire as she runs and thinking.. she's not running fast enough. Polygonal environmental meant a reduction in atmosphere which is BAD for a RE game. Leonardo DiCaprio clone steve was also the worst RE character bar (leech man)

For me, it was length, production values and story.

PC Gaijin

Resident Evil 2 is my favorite, closely followed by Code Veronica. I really disliked Nemesis, and I have never played Outbreak or Zero. I liked the original well enough, but it's definitely not my fav. I only briefly played REmake on a rental. Basically, I'm tired of the whole franchise.

My first exposure to RE was the demo included with PC Gamer (around late 97?) I was intrigued, but since it ran like crap on my PC I bought the Playstation version instead, which got me hooked on the series. The original was a little too cheesy, but I loved the greater focus on action in the second game. I liked the second game so much that I eventually bought not only the PS version, but the PC and N64 versions. I enjoyed Code Veronica because I was a big DC fan, and at the time CV was a very impressive game (especially the real-time 3D environments).

Top Bottom