• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygons spicy take: Watching a video game is basically playing it

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://web.archive.org/web/2024071...laying-twitch-youtube-lets-play-no-commentary

4Zuc3tu.jpeg

I’ve come to think of playing and watching games as basically interchangeable.

Sometimes, I find it difficult to distinguish my memories of playing a game from seeing someone else play it.

I made it through only five bosses in Dark Souls with my pigtailed powerlifter protagonist before I decided that the game’s pimple-eyed basilisks were too annoying, and it was time to focus on what was for dinner instead.
But in the years before and after I decided I was quitting Dark Souls, I also watched one boyfriend, one roommate, and several YouTubers play the 40-hour game from start to finish. I had the pleasure of meeting Ceaseless Discharge only once in my abandoned playthrough, but, over my hundreds of hours observing other people’s games, the oozing boss became a familiar flame to me. I got so used to seeing Blighttown’s rickety, rotten wooden pathways that they might as well have formed the driveway leading up to my parents’ house.

So I’d discuss it as if I had played it, because my knowledge of the game matched that of its most dedicated players.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yuck. What makes it even worse is that it’s Polygon. If this was Kotaku I’d understand. Polygon has at least had very informative articles on a certain video game. Now every one with a Twitch account thinks they actually played a video game instead of watching someone. We sat around as kids waiting for a chance to play the game; “to play” the game.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Depends on the game.
Many modern games take absolutely no skill and the gameplay offers no way to flex.
Sony walk a thons come to mind.
Probably better off watching it - and itll save you some money.

On the flipside - you cant simply watch someone play Sin and Punishment, DoDonpachi, or Sega Rally.
Stuff like that needs to be played.

Miles708

I don't think this is completely wrong.
Not accounting for narrative-heavy games (where gameplay gets secondary and so yes, watching it is indeed similar to playing it), this can somewhat be true even for gameplay-focused games... albeit with one important caveat.

The fact is: most videogames rely on systems.
Combat system,
driving system,
ecounter system,
leveling system,
so on so forth.

At the same time, many games rely on repetition. Repeating one (or more) action over and over in different scenarios is the basic gameplay of most games. That's not a critic, I love arcade games for that matter.

Still.
Once you have played a game, for the sake of this example let's say an action game like Devil May Cry 5, you can have a pretty rough idea of what the game will be like after you have played and experienced the first 2 or 3 stages. At that point, even looking at videos detailing later stages can be a bit like having played it, minus the muscle memory involved, because you're not lacking the involved gameplay context.

Of course there are missing factors (immersion, satisfaction, and likely overrall enjoyment), but assuming you're watching videos of something you at least took the time to experience and understand yourself, i can see the OP's point.

kinda true for modern "cinematic games". tons of cutscenes and easy gameplay.
i tried to lose in the beginning of spiderman 2 or whatever (the one with the sand boy) and the game wouldnt let me.

but dark souls?
you didnt play it, you took a guided tour through it.

SHA

No, this is so wrong, how could they say that? with the controller it's a completely different experience.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Humans are wired to mimic each other, and it has been shown by brain science that just watching someone do it activates similar parts of the brain to doing it. It isn't the same as doing it, but the brain is still testing its understanding of the game while watching. If people play competitive games, then watching vods of tricky games is considered to be a better way to improve than just grinding out random games.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Her claim is idiotic. Games are a fundamentally interactive medium. You can be a fan of a game like Dark Souls without actually playing through it thanks to its art, lore, music, design, etc. And plenty are fans of watching games they could never complete or gameplay at a level they themselves can't achieve (personally, I'd rather get a toothpick in the eye, but that's just me).

But being a fan doesn't make you a player though any more than enjoying the Xgames makes you a skater. Why not just say you're a fan of X, Y, or Z instead of acting like you've actually played through the level? It's just weird.

Reading a play by play synopsis of a movie scene by scene is the same as watching it.

Getting your lunch stolen is the same as eating it.

Reading a book is the same as getting read to.

Sownds jeanyus
I'll fight you on that last one. Audiobooks are great. Now, saying watching me movie is the same as reading the book, that would be heresy. =P

MujkicHaris

I've been working on a video game for several years now and when I am done developing it, I am supposed to be sending a review code to the press --- that think like that.

The take is not spicy, it's dumb. What is wrong with these people?

Last edited:

SHA

With those former mobile players, they're so out of touch with reality, they should have a different category, they just can't sneak into traditional gaming like that, and God forbid they shouldn't be promoted to positions like Phil Spencer to run gaming companies cause mobile is different.

Top Bottom