• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poptopic: IGN and Kotaku Reviews Aren’t Influencing Game Sales Anymore

Draugoth

Gold Member
hq720.jpg

Article via Poptopic

Mainstream gaming sites are no longer the driving force behind game sales, as seen with titles like Dustborn and Concord.

There was a time when sites like IGN and Kotaku were the gatekeepers of gaming culture. They were the trusted voices every gamer looked up to, offering reviews that felt genuine and focused on what truly mattered—how fun a game was to play. But somewhere along the way, things changed.

RELATED: Concord PS5 Will Be in the Bargain Bin This Christmas

In the early days of videogame journalism, working at places like IGN or Kotaku was a dream job for many young gamers. Who wouldn’t want to get paid to play video games early, write about them, and influence the industry? But as the industry matured, so did the expectations of its critics. No longer were games evaluated solely on their gameplay, graphics, or innovation. Instead, the messaging of a game—the political or social commentary it contained—began to take center stage. What was once about joy and entertainment became a platform for pushing narratives. This change has not gone unnoticed by the gaming community, which is now increasingly skeptical of reviews from these once-revered sources.

Outlaws graphics
I​

This shift has created a noticeable divide between what game journalists say is good and what gamers actually enjoy. Consider the stark difference in reception to games like Star Wars: Outlaws, Concord (PS5, PC), and Dustborn. Despite receiving glowing reviews from these outlets, these games failed miserably upon release. Their launches were plagued with low player counts and lukewarm reception, a clear indicator that ticking all the “modern audience” boxes doesn’t equate to fun or engaging gameplay.

On the flip side, games like Black Myth: Wukong have been harshly criticized by these same outlets, despite being celebrated by gamers worldwide. This Chinese action RPG was slammed by both IGN and Kotaku, partly due to a controversy involving Sweet Baby Inc., a consultancy firm that allegedly tried to pressure the developers into making the game more “diverse” and “modern.” When the developers refused, the game was hit with mediocre reviews, despite being one of the most anticipated and well-received titles of the year by actual players. The disconnect between critics and the gaming community couldn’t be more apparent.

Government-funded woke video game #Dustborn by notorious studio @SweetBabyInc is about as fuck'n ridiculous as you'd expect from the worst of the current generation https://t.co/o4ZmFivbtt pic.twitter.com/4ban1xvS5w
— Kicksnuttson Junior (@AMacaban4216) August 26, 2024

The controversy surrounding Sweet Baby Inc. and Black Myth: Wukong is a perfect example of how far game journalism has strayed from its roots. Sweet Baby Inc., known for pushing diversity and inclusion in gaming, allegedly demanded a $7 million fee to “fix the messaging” in Black Myth: Wukong. When the developers at Game Science refused, they were met with a slew of negative press from outlets like IGN, which accused them of fostering a sexist culture based on mistranslated comments. This blatant attempt to pressure the developers into conforming to a specific narrative backfired spectacularly, with gamers rallying around Black Myth: Wukong, making it one of the top-selling games on Steam.

IGN Wukong

The failure of titles like Star Wars: Outlaws and Concord is not an isolated phenomenon. These games were hyped up by the likes of IGN and Kotaku but flopped upon release, with low sales and poor player retention. It’s becoming increasingly clear that the games these outlets push are not what gamers actually want to play. This is evident when looking at user reviews on platforms like Metacritic, where there’s often a huge disparity between critic scores and user scores. Games that are praised for their messaging or inclusivity often fail to capture the interest of the broader gaming community.

So, what happened? Why do game journalists seem so out of touch with the very audience they’re supposed to serve? Perhaps the answer lies in the fact that many of today’s game journalists don’t seem to like video games much at all. Their focus has shifted from celebrating games as a form of entertainment to critiquing them as a medium for political and social messaging. And in doing so, they’ve alienated the core audience that once hung on their every word.

Black Myth: Wukong

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what these critics say anymore. Gamers have stopped listening. The power and influence that sites like IGN and Kotaku once wielded have dwindled to almost nothing. The gaming community has moved on, and those who fail to recognize this shift are being left behind, talking to an audience that no longer cares.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

While I do think people follow mainstream sites like IGN less (Kotaku is kind of dead), the premise of the article is a bit suspect considering the author is saying “Star Wars: Outlaws” is not selling.

I don’t think we have any numbers for that and I would be surprised if a Ubisoft Star Wars Open World game didn’t sell relatively well.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Nobody should be surprised that Youtube/TikTok has an outsized impact on younger gamers at this point - I don't think that's a mystery to anyone. At least I hope not. I do think the IGNs and Kotakus of the world have lost a lot of their sway with core gamers. When your outlet has produced nothing but trash for the last 15 years and is helmed by complete know-nothings that don't understand gaming or, in some cases, seem actively adversarial to gaming... why would you continue to listen to them? The fact that they've persisted for this long despite having nothing to contribute is nothing short of sublime.

Gaming press's moment of being hugely, hugely impactful on sales is over, but I still think there's value to having it. But not when it's being peddled by the current crop of dunces.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't think anyone really trusts these websites anymore. And the next generation of kids won't even think to check them.

They probably have their favourite streamer and if they say ita good and show it being played they'll go buy it.

It's not like these reviewers are any more trustworthy anymore.

Aenima

Kotaku is irrelevant but IGN is still one of the biggest videogame sites and im sure they reviews still influence some ppl. Youtubers and other social platform made most of these sites irrelevant. Metacritic agregated scores have a much bigger influence in making ppl buying or skipping a game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Last time I checked out sites like IGN and Gamespot with regularity was during the 360 days. Now, I only check them if someone posts a weird article they did. Not sure why I bailed. Probably because checking MC for recaps or just doing YT search for gameplay videos is better than a website article, in which IGN is one of those places that almost always gives a 6/10 or better.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I don't even think any reviews from IGN, let alone Kotaku affects my buying decision. Nowadays I relied entirely on youtubers I know genuinely love gaming.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The legacy gaming sites have totally debased and discredited themselves.

I want to read/watch nerds who are passionate about games, talking about the things they liked and disliked about a game. Not some corporate owned losers trying not to say anything that might offend the big publishers or their woke mob audience.

I’m honestly kind of surprised they managed to survive this long.

intbal

IGN has never been a "trusted voice" that "every gamer looked up to".
They just had big media money behind them for their entire existence.

I don't know anything about Kotaku's history because I never visited there.
But I know that they haven't been "gaming media" for several years now.

Fbh

Gold Member
Look I don't like Ign and I don't want to defend them (and let's not even talk about Kotaku), but articles like these are full of hyperbole, half truths and baiting for outrage were there is none

The entire premise is that Wukong is doing well despite IGN shitting on it and Outlaws is doing poorly despite getting "glowing reviews".
Not only did Outlaws not get a glowing review (it got a 7, which in the scale these sites use is average at best), but they literally scored Wukong Higher
wqwjO5u.jpeg

ZiOoXA9.jpeg

Dustborn got a 7/10 too btw

Also do we actually know if Outlwas is selling poorly? Is there some actual data beyond just anecdotal comments by random people online?

TAS

Great article. I have very fond memories of IGN back in the late N64/GameCube era. Matt and Fran were top notch and the message boards were amazing. A place where people could debate fiercely but still respect one another. It truly is a shame how much it has fallen imo. :(

Reaseru

I think that both IGN and Kotaku, among other media outlets, will close doors until this generation of console hardware ends.

Youtube channels will become the main source of reviewing games.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Look I don't like Ign and I don't want to defend them (and let's not even talk about Kotaku), but articles like these are full of hyperbole, half truths and baiting for outrage were there is none

The entire premise is that Wukong is doing well despite IGN shitting on it and Outlaws is doing poorly despite getting "glowing reviews".
Not only did Outlaws not get a glowing review (it got a 7, which in the scale these sites use is average at best), but they literally scored Wukong Higher
wqwjO5u.jpeg

ZiOoXA9.jpeg

Dustborn got a 7/10 too btw

Also do we actually know if Outlwas is selling poorly? Is there some actual data beyond just anecdotal comments by random people online?
Fair points. All I’ve seen about sales #s were one story about Best Buy giving a $10 gift card for preordering, and some rumors about a European game store chain getting less than 2 preorder per store on average.

Fbh

Gold Member
Fair points. All I’ve seen about sales #s were one story about Best Buy giving a $10 gift card for preordering, and some rumors about a European game store chain getting less than 2 preorder per store on average.

I guess we'll have to wait until the end of the month to see how it did.
But if it actually does poorly I'd personally argue the reviews probably still had at least some effect on sales. The article seems to argue that if it was sitting at a 95 on Metacritic (instead of an underwhelming 76) it would have zero impact on sales, and I find that hard to believe.

Mr Hyde

I've never read Kotaku and IGN I check out a video review once in a blue moon. Both outlets seem to always be embroiled in some form of controversy and scandals, such as plagiarism, slandering, console warring, threatening publishers and gamers and everything between, being blacklisted, promote piracy etc. The majority of gaming "journalists" seems to be clout chasers more interested in their social media profile than writing interesting articles about games and the industry and it's such a turnoff. It's more about clickbait and rage bait and I ain't falling for that shit. I just ignore it completely. These people have nothing to offer me. No interesting insight about games and the industry. It's a known fact most of them are either disinterested in games or just flat out suck at it and they think they are suited to tell me what's good about games?

ManaByte

Gold Member
While I do think people follow mainstream sites like IGN less (Kotaku is kind of dead), the premise of the article is a bit suspect considering the author is saying “Star Wars: Outlaws” is not selling.

I don’t think we have any numbers for that and I would be surprised if a Ubisoft Star Wars Open World game didn’t sell relatively well.

It's $5 on US PSN after COD, Wukong, Fortnite, and Madden.

winjer

Gold Member
Kotaku is completely pointless at this point. A parody of itself.
IGN is only good to see some trailers. But asides from that, their reviews are not trustworthy for a long time.
They burned their reputation so many times, that few gamers trust what they have to say.

Three

It's bizarre that they use Concord as evidence of this. As if people not buying a 60-70 IGN score/metacritic game is surprising or against convention. If the game had scored 100 and not sold, or scored a low 50 and sold gangbuster, then maybe they would have a stronger argument but it wasn't well reviewed to begin with even from places like IGN or Kotaku.

SkylineRKR

Impulse buyers and young gamers are on socials, not on websites.

But these examples are terrible. Concord flopped long before reviews went public. In fact, it flopped the second it was shown.

Portugeezer

20 years of influence will take time to go away. When a new game releases I still care about the IGN score, as annoying as that is.

But for sure, in depth previews, gameplay, and YouTube reviewers are more influential to a games success.

Last edited:

Holammer

Obviously, big personalities like Asmongold are more important to your marketing today. He is a literal king maker and can lift a small indie game by tweeting something positive about it. I would lecture him about "great power", but I fear it's a death flag.
Same goes for YT channels like Game Theory, the channel that made Five Nights at Freddy's explode into the brainrot phenomenon it is today.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
Last edited:
Top Bottom