• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal to 1996

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
How can you afford to follow the band on tour (gas, food, sometimes lodging) but can’t afford $25 to go to a show?
t3FaJUV.jpeg

I was thinking along similar lines. I wonder if Taylor Swift fans ever follow along trying to sell $6000 of hemp jewellery to get a ticket.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
they were the last decades at all, as far as I can tell

Starting sometime after 2000, the concept of a decade seems to have dissolved... it's just one blur of online culture and then memes without any sense of overall cultural identity or coherence
Certainly an interesting thought. Maybe once we get to the 30s things will feel different.

I rather fear that it'll just be more self absorbed squabbling, general societal decline, funnelling of wealth to the richest in the world with the same backdrop of climate collapse.

By then, trying to sell hemp jewellery with people who are happy to stand around in a carpark because a band they like is playing will probably seem like an idyllic dream.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Missing out on Bitcoin is one of my life's few regrets.
Far far FAR worse would have been one of those guys who cashed out at $20 or even $200 instead of holding to $30k+ the life of regret....

Or to have lost the bitcoin locker drive, or forgotten the password and you got 200 mill in there.....fuck that, I'd rather have missed the boat entirely!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
LOL 1996 was a pivotal year for me. I dropped out of college and started working at MS as a contractor in PSS. If I told myself to not go into tech but stay in school, my entire life would change, like entirely. Choosing to work instead of school put me on the path to meet my wife who I have kids with. Soooo much would change lol.
I also dropped out of college in 1996!

I did it to sell drugs though.

But in 1997 got my first job in tech lol

Nydius

LOL 1996 was a pivotal year for me. I dropped out of college and started working at MS as a contractor in PSS. If I told myself to not go into tech but stay in school, my entire life would change, like entirely. Choosing to work instead of school put me on the path to meet my wife who I have kids with. Soooo much would change lol.

1996 was definitely a turning point year for me too. I had been out of high school for a year but hadn’t immediately gone to college because I had gotten a job at a local retail computer shop. I used to shoot pool in league play back then, and met the woman I’d eventually marry. Went to the Atlanta Olympics that August and got caught up in a swell of patriotism and enlisted in the Air Force later that same month.

The first 8-9 months of 1996 radically altered the course of my life. I’m struggling to think of a more consequential year for me since then, honestly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom