• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Presidential Polls Were Off the Mark Because of Voter Supression

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Why is this being taken seriously here?

Because it is one of the reasons Clinton lost. Republicans have literally researched how this would affect democratic and black voters and then fucking did it. They're red handed and were caught red handed doing this. Only people with their heads in the sand thing voter suppression isn't happening and that it didn't cost this race something.

I'm not going to say it's the reason, because in my opinion with a close race like this a lot of things could have tipped it over the edge. All of the reasons brought up on this forum thus far are reasons Clinton lost some votes here and there and ultimately lost.

jfkgoblue

Why shouldn't be taken seriously? I mean maybe it wasn't enough to change the outcome, but this is a blueprint the Rep. have to double down on their tactics.
Have you read the article, it says that since 2013 Trump operatives have been fixing all the results for Trump, this is some conspiracy theory shit.

Caja 117

Have you read the article, it says that since 2013 Trump operatives have been fixing all the results for Trump, this is some conspiracy theory shit.

Im talking about the voter suppression. and if you think is not real well, Im not sure what else to tell you.

Luckily it looks the the Dems will squeak by and win the governors mansion and get the NC Supreme Court. We need the same in other states to help against this.

The Senate map of 2018 is bad, but the gubernatorial map is much better. Democrats can and should take back the governorship in Michigan, Maine, Nevada, New Mexico, Massachusetts, Florida, and Wisconsin. Georgia and Arizona are attainable as well.

-MB-

So what options are there? from the GOP stand point, its easier to just suppress minority votes than getting them to like them.

seems even less likely now that the republicans own the country.

I all makes perfect sense. The republicans went more and more extreme right and anti-equal rights, taking the fight with the democrats on the social issues, which causes the dems to focus on that. On the other hand, the republicans also wreck the economy, causing the white population to not care about social justice, as has been proven many times before: economy comes first in dire straits. republicans then just continue with voter supression and secure their status in the house and senate, and this time also lucked out with the presidency.

RDreamer

Yeah that's some dumbass wording. It wasn't "Trump operatives," it was the republican party as a whole.

Boney

Banned
Yeah that's some dumbass wording. It wasn't "Trump operatives," it was the republican party as a whole.
Yes but they worked closely with Trump this election. But reading comprehension is hard

But the BBC has been known for conspiracy theories so you might be onto something.

Jeffrey

I all makes perfect sense. The republicans went more and more extreme right and anti-equal rights, taking the fight with the democrats on the social issues, which causes the dems to focus on that. On the other hand, the republicans also wreck the economy, causing the white population to not care about social justice, as has been proven many times before: economy comes first in dire straits. republicans then just continue with voter supression and secure their status in the house and senate, and this time also lucked out with the presidency.

well... it seems to be a viable strategy looking at the results. So what can/will the dems do about it?

Toxi

Banned
The Senate map of 2018 is bad, but the gubernatorial map is much better. Democrats can and should take back the governorship in Michigan, Maine, Nevada, New Mexico, Massachusetts, Florida, and Wisconsin. Georgia and Arizona are attainable as well.
We also have to keep the seats we already have, especially those without incumbents (Colorado and Minnesota).

Remember the dem primary and Arizona? The voter purges in NY? These were issues I remember bringing up, saying that they will cause problems in the GE, especially Arizona. People were waiting in like 5 hours to vote because of polling location reductions.We had time to try and fix it, but everyone wanted to just move along.

We also have to keep the seats we already have, especially those without incumbents (Colorado and Minnesota).

Yep, that's definitely important as well. The point I was trying to emphasize though was that there is a lot people in the country can do to help limit this kind of thing if we show up to vote in 2018.

Blader

Mass might be a no go. Charlie Baker is very popular here for some reason.

Aurongel

It's very difficult to gauge if this actually swayed the election or not given the incredible unpopularity of the Democratic candidate. That's where the math gets fuzzy or me. That data seems impossible to quantify.

It was not rigged, it was more the fact that almost 50% did not vote.
This is true practically every election. Obama got people out because he's fuckin' Obama, and even then ~40% of the country stayed home.

Also, have you considered "voter suppression," as described in the thread, would result in less people voting?!?

Imagine a world where the aggregators had Donald Trump at 99% to win, and Hillary surprisingly pulled it off.

There would be a national fucking outrage. Allegations of mass voter fraud and calls for reform. The milquetoast media liberals would be eating up the complaints in a desperate bid to appear impartial. They would be ready to bend over and take voter ID laws in every fucking state.

Liberals are the worst. They are terrible at messaging, and the media doesn't give a fuck. We will continue to be trampled upon because we are pussies.

_woLf

Trump was telling us the entire time the election was rigged, who would have thought he meant in his favor

digdug2k

I hate that there's a part of me really hoping that, in the next month or two some fraud is found and the results of this election are overturned. Russia hacking voting machines. Suppressed ballots recounted. GOP voters in crazy tiny red districts found submitting fake ballots because "I'm sure those big city folk do it too". It would be the perfect cap to an insane election. But it will never happen.

I guess either way the election went, we'd hear people yelling it was rigged and states talking about seceding from the union.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom