• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Primal Carnage: Extinction PS4 Trailer

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This looks rough, almost 1995 pc looking rough...the gameplay and animation needs work.

Dude, we didn't even have Duke Nukem 3D in 1995.

I do agree that the animation needs work though. That and the lack of little key touches (like some kind of feedback from hitting a dinosaur, like bloodspray or something) make it look rougher than the graphics actually. are. The textures on the human characters could use some work too, though the dinosaurs and environment look all right.

give me a new PRIMAL RAGE instead

primal_rage_4.jpg

give me a new PRIMAL RAGE instead

primal_rage_4.jpg

Who owns the license to that series now, anyways? With modern 3d graphics, it would be a pretty cool thing to bring back I think.

Edit: It seems Warner Bros does, having purchased Atari games. So basically, the folks who own Netheralm own the license, or most likely do.

Hey Ed Boon, I think I know a side project you could work on, call me sometime.

Who owns the license to that series now, anyways? With modern 3d graphics, it would be a pretty cool thing to bring back I think.

Edit: It seems Warner Bros does, having purchased Atari games. So basically, the folks who own Netheralm own the license, or most likely do.

Hey Ed Boon, I think I know a side project you could work on, call me sometime.

I think they sold those rights to Hasbro Interactive in the late 90's, which was in turn acquired by Infogrames, which in turn renamed itself Atari. So, the current Atari might have those rights.

Edit- Hmm. So it looks like the original Atari when it closed was split into two. One is the above. The other was owned by Midway until it was shut down. WB acquired lots of Midway stuff, so maybe they do have those rights.... again (TimeWarner had them from 1993-1996). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Games So confusing!

Bishop89

Very disappointing.

So this is sort of like pvz: garden warfare / L4D.

I wish this was a sp experience.

Game also looks pretty rough. At least it's releasing in a few weeks. Thought we wouldn't see anything from this again.

Very disappointing.

So this is sort of like pvz: garden warfare / L4D.

I wish this was a sp experience.

Game also looks pretty rough. At least it's releasing in a few weeks. Thought we wouldn't see anything from this again.

There was supposed to be a separate single player game called Primal Carnage: Genesis (it had been announced for PS4 with a trailer), but it looks like it has been put on hold indefinitely following the closure of its developer.

Majanew

Banned
The fuck is this shit?

I was excited for that teaser they showed a couple years ago. But this? This is LOL.

Sad to see that awesomeness turn into this turd. Should have just cancelled it.

The game doesn't look much different than what I've played on PC so I'm not understanding the comments here.

Unless everyone expected AAA visuals from a small studio?

Sesha

The fuck is this shit?

I was excited for that teaser they showed a couple years ago. But this? This is LOL.

This multiplayer version has existed on PC for a long time. Primal Carnage: Genesis was meant to be the single-player campaign.

And the bolded is just silly. Cancel an entire game because the expensive and time-consuming single-player campaign didn't work out. Great idea.

The fuck is this shit?

Different game. The one you're think of was Primal Carnage: Genesis. This is Primal Carnage: Extinction. Primal Carnage (the original game) released on PC in 2012. Primal Carnage: Extinction is a sequel of sorts. It was first released earlier this past April on PC. Primal Carnage: Genesis was announced in 2013 as coming to PC and PS4 as a single-player campaign experience (as opposed to the multi-player only aspect of the rest of the series). Unfortunately Lukewarm Studios (behind the original Primal Carnage) fell apart during development and the game was put on hold indefinitely. Primal Carnage: Extinction was done by Panic Button and Pub Games.

Javin98

Banned
The game doesn't look much different than what I've played on PC so I'm not understanding the comments here.

Unless everyone expected AAA visuals from a small studio?
Honestly, GAF is ridiculous at times. Half of the posts in this thread has been about how rough it looks with few comments about the gameplay. There is more to games than just visuals, people. I, for one, am happy we're just getting more dinosaur games.

Anyone know if this was released today guys? Can't check on my PS4 cause I'm in work. My little son is a big dino fan so I'll be looking to buy it for him.

Experien

Anyone know if this was released today guys? Can't check on my PS4 cause I'm in work. My little son is a big dino fan so I'll be looking to buy it for him.

Yep, 6.2GB and $20.

I'm on the fence b/c no one is talking about it but I think I might as well cause I got a bunch of credit.

How do I unlock dino skins? I've unlocked a couple for the raptor but I don't know how. Also the wording for the "rare Ivy-striped feathered novaraptor (don't blink or it's gone)" makes me think it's a temporary unlock?

Jawmuncher

How do I unlock dino skins? I've unlocked a couple for the raptor but I don't know how. Also the wording for the "rare Ivy-striped feathered novaraptor (don't blink or it's gone)" makes me think it's a temporary unlock?

If it's like pc they're random unlocks just from playing. Think destiny crucible mp when it gives random rewards at end.

Javin98

Banned
$20, huh? Sounds a bit expensive, yet still reasonable. Well, I'll be getting this when I pick up a PS4. I'm gonna be using Spinosaurus all the time, LOL. The age of the dinosaurs is back!

I did a quick empty LAN match to try out the different dinos and I had a blast with the Novaraptor. Even though it's a species created for the game, it is the closest to playing as a velociraptor (fun fact, the velociraptors in Jurassic Park were actually based off of deinonychus and not actually velociraptors).

This just got more interesting!

Just to clarify, my response was about Ark: Survival coming to PS4 with PSVR support. To my knowledge, Primal Carnage: Extinction will not have any VR support (maybe it does on PC?).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just to clarify, my response was about Ark: Survival coming to PS4 with PSVR support. To my knowledge, Primal Carnage: Extinction will not have any VR support (maybe it does on PC?).

Oh, gotcha. Just graphically this looks like it would fit perfectly got PSVR, Ark is just drop dead gorgeous, and would be just as awesome on VR.

I did a quick empty LAN match to try out the different dinos and I had a blast with the Novaraptor. Even though it's a species created for the game, it is the closest to playing as a velociraptor (fun fact, the velociraptors in Jurassic Park were actually based off of deinonychus and not actually velociraptors).

They're still much larger than deinonychus in JP. I'd peg them as something between achillobator and Utahraptor.

Regarding novaraptor, despite being a feather>you type, I prefer these guys without them in this game... which is odd because I remember having "I'll pay a premium for it!" thoughts back on PC (original release locked it to a preorder bonus only). I think the mohawk clashes with my expectations when I see its silhouette or profile.

Experien

The game is clunky and kind of bad but I am having fun with it. I hope (but doubt) that they will release a patch and fix things like...

• ALWAYS being able to switch weapons (they get stuck)
  • Quickly go from sprint to aiming and not having to come to a complete stop
  • Buff the humans/nerf the dinos
  • List accomplishments like what to do to unlock new skins/weapons/clothes.
  • Give Dilophosaurus/Cryo aiming reticles, maybe even let them us L2 to aim?
  • Getting your dino to eat the carcass for health can be fiddly
I think those are my main concerns

The game is clunky and kind of bad but I am having fun with it. I hope (but doubt) that they will release a patch and fix things like...

• ALWAYS being able to switch weapons (they get stuck)
  • Quickly go from sprint to aiming and not having to come to a complete stop
  • Buff the humans/nerf the dinos
  • List accomplishments like what to do to unlock new skins/weapons/clothes.
  • Give Dilophosaurus/Cryo aiming reticles, maybe even let them us L2 to aim?
  • Getting your dino to eat the carcass for health can be fiddly
I think those are my main concerns

There are some weird graphical glitches with a stream on one of the maps.

As for a (not gonna happen) wish, I would love to see the game team up with Universal and make Jurassic Park versions of the dinosaurs with authentic look and sounds of the dinosaurs.

Yep, 6.2GB and $20.

I'm on the fence b/c no one is talking about it but I think I might as well cause I got a bunch of credit.

Thanks for the reply mate. I'm in the UK so don't think it's available over here yet, I can't find it anyway. Gutted! If you did end up getting it, hope you enjoy it! :)

I had the PC version for like, a minute. Searched for servers, and there was maybe one from the official people that was laggy as fuck, and three RPing No Kill Dino Sex servers.

Immediately got a refund.

So this version must be better than the PC on the virtue of not being able to do stupid shit like that.

Top Bottom