• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro-Kurdish HDP Leaders Detained In Turkey, Explosion In Diyarbakr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turkey HDP: Blast after pro-Kurdish leaders Demirtas and Yuksekdag detained - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37868441

Didn't see a thread on this. HDP is the Pro-Kurdish party in the Turkish Parliament.

BBC said:
The two co-leaders of Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition party, People's Democracy (HDP), have been detained along with at least nine other MPs.

BBC said:
Selahattin Demirtas and Figen Yuksekdag were detained at their respective homes as part of a counter-terrorism inquiry, security sources told Turkish media.

BBC said:
Hours after the arrest of Mr Demirtas in Diyarbakir, a suspected car bomb exploded there, injuring 20 people.

Hürriyet (Turkish reputable newspaper) says that there is 8 dead (2 police) and 100+ wounded in that explosion.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/diyarbakirda-patlama-40267958

As par for the course, I can personally confirm that Twitter and WhatsApp are down (during civil unrest in Turkey, many social media services get blocked).

Edit: Hürriyet source for social media cutoff (Turkish): http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/whatsapp-twitter-youtube-ve-facebooka-erisim-yavasladi-40267975

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I think with the advent of social media we are going to get to a point were it's just like "dude , come on" and the dude might actually "come on". It seems to have some affect on politics with a decent media push behind it. I give it 15-20 years max, hopefully we're not dead by then.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not only the leaders but also 10 other PMs.

Guardian said:
The two joint leaders of Turkey’s pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic party (HDP) have been detained along with at least 10 MPs because of their reluctance to give testimony for crimes linked to “terrorist propaganda”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/04/turkey-arrests-pro-kurdish-party-leaders-mps

Is the explosion linked in any way with this? I don't understand how these belong to the same story.

Metal B

Bekir Bozdag, the minister of justice in Turkey, answer of the critic from Germany about the events: "Germany has no right to say anything, since Turks have no legal rights in Germany." What? What?! What?!? What the hell is he talking about? Turkey is clearly a dictatorship right now ...

Not only the leaders but also 10 other PMs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/04/turkey-arrests-pro-kurdish-party-leaders-mps

Is the explosion linked in any way with this? I don't understand how these belong to the same story.

According to Hürriyet, PKK (Kurdish terrorist organization) claimed the attack. It's a hectic day for Kurdish politics.

Bekir Bozdag, the minister of justice in Turkey, answer of the critic from Germany about the events: "Germany has no right to say anything, since Turks have no legal rights in Germany."

What? What?! What?!? What the hell is he talking about? Turky is clearly a dictatorship right now ...
I also heard that Erdogan described Germany as "a hotbed of terrorists" but I don't have a source on that.

I can understand wanting to secure yourself from rebel or terrorist opposition forces.

If fascism is the only answer you can think of (arresting sympathetic politicians, shutting down social media, promoting brash nationalism), you're probably better off splitting into two countries anyway.

At first I was angry, now I'm just sad to see what is going on in my country. That fucking AKP party has brought back the country a good 50 years, so much social damage has been done.

Jackpot

Banned
They've moved onto journalists, and they're going to stay in jail until their court date. Which hasn't been announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37882883

Turkey detains Cumhuriyet newspaper journalists

Nine journalists from Turkey's pro-opposition newspaper Cumhuriyet have been arrested and remanded in custody by a court in Istanbul.

The newspaper's editor, a well-known cartoonist, and an anti-government columnist were among those arrested.

Since the coup attempt, a total of about 110,000 people have been sacked or suspended and 37,000 arrested.

Both the Cumhuriyet journalists and HDP politicians will be held in jail until trial. No date has been set for either hearing.

Cumhuriyet was one of four winners of the "alternative Nobel Prize" in October, alongside Syria's White Helmets and others.

It was awarded "for their fearless investigative journalism and commitment to freedom of expression in the face of oppression, censorship, imprisonment and death threats."

It also received the Freedom of the Press prize from Reporters Without Borders last year, which said the paper was "the target of frequent persecution by the Turkish regime."

They've moved onto journalists, and they're going to stay in jail until their court date. Which hasn't been announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37882883
The most tragically hilarious thing about this is that the newspaper's name translates to "Republic".
Enjoy your dictatorship, Turkey
I wish I could enjoy the dictatorship. Unfortunately I don't have the Islamic and nationalist extremism that would let me think like an Erdoğan supporter (which is to say, none at all).

(I can really relate to the "Fuck you, Turkey" sentiment but I feel like it kinda overlooks the fact that many of us are still here who do NOT want to see things run this way. That said, yep, fuck Turkey as a country right now.)

Nibel

I wish I could enjoy the dictatorship. Unfortunately I don't have the Islamic and nationalist extremism that would let me think like an Erdoğan supporter (which is to say, none at all).

(I can really relate to the "Fuck you, Turkey" sentiment but I feel like it kinda overlooks the fact that many of us are still here who do NOT want to see things run this way. That said, yep, fuck Turkey as a country right now.)

I'd be actually interested to hear what the situation there is for someone who doesn't openly support Erdogan; a lot of moderate voices from there get drown in the sea of noise caused by him and his supporters

Diancecht

Enjoy your dictatorship, Turkey

You do realise half the country doesn't want him right? It's not like he has 95 percent of the support and everyone is happy. 51 percent didn't vote for his party in the last elections. Only reason his party got to be the ruling party is because rest of the opposition parties weren't able to form a three-way coalition. I mean even that was close. Main opposition party, left-wing, secularist CHP (25 percent) and another left-wing party HDP (10 percent) were okay with the idea but the other opposition party, right-wing nationalistic MHP (12) didn't want to form a coalition with the Kurds.

So yeah, we are not enjoying the fucking dictatorship.

Nibel

You do realise half the country doesn't want him right? It's not like he has 95 percent of the support and everyone is happy. 51 percent didn't vote for his party in the last elections. Only reason his party got to be the ruling party is because rest of the opposition parties weren't able to form a three-way coalition. I mean even that was close. Main opposition party, left-wing, secularist CHP (25 percent) and another left-wing party HDP (10 percent) were okay with the idea but the other opposition party, right-wing nationalistic MHP (12) didn't want to form a coalition with the Kurds.

That post was more targeted towards the people who openly cheer every time he opens up his mouth; I'm well aware that there is a huge group of people who are (understandably) not happy about the situation

His rise to power is terrifying and man I don't know what can happen now to stop him and his party

I'd be actually interested to hear what the situation there is for someone who doesn't openly support Erdogan; a lot of moderate voices from there get drown in the sea of noise caused by him and his supporters

Disclaimer: I'm from a well-off family and I'm planning to go abroad for university by late 2018. The vast majority doesn't have the same means, and I don't think I could have endured it if I hadn't either.

From a democratic viewpoint, the situation is tragic (especially so since the failed coup attempt). Patriotic ego masturbation is everywhere. Erdoğan riles up crowds by bashing the West, those who want to critique the government have to squeeze "The coup was wrong" into all their statements to evade the accusation of being a Gulenist (and the immediately following, totally adhering to due process, arrest). "Fetö", short for "Fetullah", Gulen's first name (the Islamic cleric alleged to be behind the coup attempt which seems to be one point all parties agree upon), is the term. Prominent opposition members are frequently detained and/or arrested, more than 110 thousand people have been displaced of their jobs since the coup attempt the only reason being given that "They are connected to Fetö".

A patriotic slogan that translates to "We're the nation, we don't let Turkey be felled by coup or terrorism" (with a bit more of a linguistic flair) is plastered practically everywhere from TV ads to billboards to ads on public transport:
606780.jpg

I've seen these since early August, and that's because I was out of the city between the coup until then.

There is an Anti-West sentiment everywhere (from "They didn't help us in our time of need" to "They are anxious to see us grow into a global power and they want to weaken us").

Explosions (especially in the Southeast region) are literally daily. Literally. One in Şırnak today killed two children and wounded six children. At least there's variety in who claims the attack. /s

The dollar and the euro both set a new all-time high exchange rate yesterday. The dollar actually did it thrice ($/TL went from 3.15 to 3.1550 to 3.16, IIRC).

Now if you just want my ideological viewpoint on things, then it's pretty much the same as yours: The country is hurtling towards an ultranationalist, Islamist dictatorship.

edit: Oh, and Erdoğan's party has a new constitution in the works which aims to turn Turkey into a presidential republic (and one of the main defense points for it is that "How can it be undemocratic, look at the US!"). There's been a state of emergency declared since June, I think it was extended by another 3 months last week, which lets the presidency bypass the parliament in lawmaking and establishing regulations (BBC source).

Source for 110K people sacked: BBC

Diancecht

Also, if you look at the demographics of the Erdogan voters, you will see low income, high school dropout families. Kind of people that can easily swayed by religious talk and grand but shallow ideas.

eggandI

Banned
It's been pretty crazy reading headlines over the last few months about Turkey descending into dictatorship. Like someone else mentioned, there are some 80 million living there. Let's hope things remain relatively stable going forward.

Nibel

Thanks for your input, Funyarinpa. I can't imagine how it is when you are surrounded by propaganda all the time. Also, the situation in south Turkey is messed up; I mean I'm not wrong if I say that it is more or less somewhat of a warzone, right?

Either way, these are pretty dark times and I hope Turkey will find its way back to democracy. All these current developments make me angry

Also, if you look at the demographics of the Erdogan voters, you will see low income, high school dropout families. Kind of people that can easily swayed by religious talk and grand but shallow ideas.

That makes sense (and is also scary since I can't imagine that there is anything to convince those people of other ideas)

As I am Kurdish, and as I've studied Turkish-Kurdish relations/Syrian-Iraqi civil war throughout university, this doesnt look good. Turkey has a very strange forced homogeneity. Group rights, minority rights are non existant. Kurdish nationalists in the 1920s began their struggle for semi-autonomy and terrorist groups such as the PKK continue to fight for those rights today. Anti-Pkk sentiment (among all ethnicities) is popular throughout turkey, along with low education and poverty, Erdogan has very effectively procured the nationalist/islamist vote by making those people his base. A lot has been going on over the last couple years and we'll see where it goes from here

Also, his dismantling of the armed forces/police and replacing them with his sympathizers is something to look at. Since the coup [which is alledged he started, which doesnt matter really since either way he profited from it] weve seen a steady restruction/demolition of all the supposed checks and balances on the government

Looking for opinions of where this might be headed look here
http://www.newsweek.com/michael-rubin-turkey-headed-bloodbath-515787?rx=us
https://www.reddit.com/r/geopolitics/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom