• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Programming |OT| C is better than C++! No, C++ is better than C

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Amazingly my account still works with Dream Spark.

I was curious, so I checked. My account died, but I was able to re-register by using my old school email which forwards everything to my primary account. I haven't been back in a classroom in about 4 years.

Honestly, I'm sure they keep the bar low on purpose. They seem to have even expanded the program by offering a similar BizSpark program for startups.

Garcia

Hello guys, I was wondering if any of you could help me out with this weird bug I keep getting:

I created a program which plots the popularity of names from 1900 to 2000 divided by decades, so there are 11 columns to display the statistics. I added 3 Jbuttons (Add[name], Delete[name], Clear[everything]) and a single JTextField where the user inputs the name to plot (if it exists in the database).

Everything works find except for when the user clicks the "Clear everything" button. If there's text inside the JTextField, the button does exactly what it's supposed to do: It clears the display screen leaving only the initial grid with the columns and the years at the bottom.

The problem arises when the JTextField is empty. If there's no text inside the field and the user clicks Delete, the program doesn't respond, it stays frozen and only throws some errors in Eclipse. The program doesn't crash; it just won't do anything unless there's at least one character inside the text field.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem? Would it be necessary to post some code for you to try to figure out what could be going on? Thanks in advance!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Could you post your Delete code and any methods associated so we can take a look?

usea

Hello guys, I was wondering if any of you could help me out with this weird bug I keep getting:

I created a program which plots the popularity of names from 1900 to 2000 divided by decades, so there are 11 columns to display the statistics. I added 3 Jbuttons (Add[name], Delete[name], Clear[everything]) and a single JTextField where the user inputs the name to plot (if it exists in the database).

Everything works find except for when the user clicks the "Clear everything" button. If there's text inside the JTextField, the button does exactly what it's supposed to do: It clears the display screen leaving only the initial grid with the columns and the years at the bottom.

The problem arises when the JTextField is empty. If there's no text inside the field and the user clicks Delete, the program doesn't respond, it stays frozen and only throws some errors in Eclipse. The program doesn't crash; it just won't do anything unless there's at least one character inside the text field.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem? Would it be necessary to post some code for you to try to figure out what could be going on? Thanks in advance!
It sounds like Eclipse is pausing execution, probably because you're debugging and it hits an exception.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
It sounds like Eclipse is pausing execution, probably because you're debugging and it hits an exception.

Seems unlikely - if that were the case, entering text into the field and hitting delete probably wouldn't make things start working again. More likely is that the delete code has implicit assumptions about the contents of the field, and that causes an unchecked exception.

As everyone else has said, we're only guessing without the code - also, you say Eclipse spits out some error messages, what are they?

Didn't check back in to this thread for a few days, so I missed this:
Why not? The theory is that the sooner you catch a bug, the cheaper it is to fix. Catching the mistake before it's made is a lot more efficient than catching it after days of development and causing more days to rework it.
Well, my initial point was that:
1) pairing is often not adequate as code review.

But as far as answering "why not pair program?" assuming a team of experienced developers:
2) we get twice as much work done per unit of time. This is kind of a big deal
3) are we unit testing? Are we integration testing? We should be. That's how you catch your bugs quickly.
4) code review is still done (soon after changes are made), and in this case it's a clean set of eyes.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm trying to make a simple loop as efficient as possible. The loop adds up the sum of all elements of an int array. ~10 k elements in the array.

Loop unrolling gets me about a 2.5x speed increase. Example:

Code:
int accumulate = 0;
int lmt = arr_sz - 4;
for (i = 0; i < lmt; j += 5) 
{
     accumulate += arr[i] + arr[i+1] + arr[i+2] + arr[i+3] + arr[i+4];
}

accumulate += last few elements not iterated through in the loop;

For some reason, loop unrolling with parallelism gives me only about a 2x increase on my system, but in my textbook it says parallelism should give a larger speed increase. Example:

Code:
int accumulate = 0;
int lmt = 10,000 - 4;
for (i = 0; i < lmt; i += 5) 
{
     accum1 += arr[i];
     accum2 += arr[i + 1];
     accum3 += arr[i + 2];
     accum4 += arr[i + 3];
     accum5 += arr[i + 4];
}
accumulate5 += last few elements not iterated through in the loop;

accumulate = accum1 + accum2 + accum3 + accum4 + accum5;

If I completely remove the for loop, and type out each individual element (10,000 of them!!!! had to create a separate program to print all of them out), I get a 4x increase in speed. Example:

Code:
accumulate += arr[i] + arr[i+1] + arr[i+2] + arr[i+3] +...   ...+arr[9,999];

I have no idea why the 2nd technique of parallelism giving greater efficiency, as it did in my text. I'm guessing it's worth mentioning that the array size is not 10,000 exactly, but a prime number close to that amount. I'm guessing a prime number was chosen for a reason, but I cannot figure out why...or what I'm doing wrong. I need to get the fastest algorithm I can, without getting rid of the for loop. If someone can explain the behavior I'm seeing, and or give some techniques for possible further speed increases, that would be grand. Thanks.

Quasar

So a colleague is using VS13 and is seeing errors like this.

unnamed.png

Whats that mean exactly? I'm a newb when it comes to VS.

I'm trying to make a simple loop as efficient as possible. The loop adds up the sum of all elements of an int array. ~10 k elements in the array.

Loop unrolling gets me about a 2.5x speed increase. Example:

Code:
Code

I have no idea why the 2nd technique of parallelism giving greater efficiency, as it did in my text. I'm guessing it's worth mentioning that the array size is not 10,000 exactly, but a prime number close to that amount. I'm guessing a prime number was chosen for a reason, but I cannot figure out why...or what I'm doing wrong. I need to get the fastest algorithm I can, without getting rid of the for loop. If someone can explain the behavior I'm seeing, and or give some techniques for possible further speed increases, that would be grand. Thanks.
What language and compiler are you using and what compiler options?

injurai

Banned
Why is python 2.7 still the standard. Seems to me turnover with Java and C++ to the newer versions is fairly common when new projects are started.

Tamanon

Banned
Why is python 2.7 still the standard. Seems to me turnover with Java and C++ to the newer versions is fairly common when new projects are started.

Libraries mainly. And I don't think they've really articulated Python 3 as a clearly better language yet, at least not enough to force a change.

tuffy

Although Python 3 has a lot of good stuff, I haven't ported my code to it because the interpreter has major incompatiblities and isn't installed by default in enough places yet. A lot of Linux distros are getting there but OS X still only comes with Python 2.7 last I checked. So since I don't want to inconvenience users by making them perform a separate Python install, I've stuck with 2.7.

Magni

Backwards compatibility. Python 2.x code generally doesn't work well with Python 3.x, and a lot of libraries haven't been updated.

SQL Question: Why does (hopefully I remembered correctly):

Code:
select * from table where value > 2.5

also shows entries where the value (FLOAT btw.) is exactly 2.5? If I use INT it works like "it should".

smiggyRT

SQL Question: Why does (hopefully I remembered correctly):

Code:
select * from table where value > 2.5

also shows entries where the value (FLOAT btw.) is exactly 2.5? If I use INT it works like "it should".
I think this to do with low precision on floats, I use decimal as my datatype.

I think this to do with low precision on floats, I use decimal as my datatype.

Thank you for the information. Really strange behavior (in my eyes). I tried now a few combinations:

value1 = 4.9
value2 = 4.91
value3 = 5.1

Code:
select * from table where value > 4.9

shows: value1, value2, value3

Code:
select * from table where value > 4.91

shows: value3

smiggyRT

Thank you for the information. Really strange behavior (in my eyes). I tried now a few combinations:

value1 = 4.9
value2 = 4.91
value3 = 5.1

Code:
select * from table where value > 4.9

shows: value1, value2, value3

Code:
select * from table where value > 4.91

shows: value3
On mobile so I can't easily quote, the second to last paragraph of the this should explain the issue better than I can.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187912(v=sql.105).aspx

C. Visual studio 2013. Optimization turned off, not sure what some of the other options do, but I think everything is just default.

Ah, okay. So, if you turn optimization on, hand-optimizing a loop like that (with unrolling and whatever) will do nothing, or at least nothing statistically significant. The optimizer will unroll loops for you, it will use vector instructions (SSE, AVX and all that) and there are also compilers that will automatically parallelize a section of code for you if you annotate it (OpenMP). You can be smarter than the compiler, but that's generally a lot of work and involves a lot of knowledge of the architecture you're coding on and also the assembly. I've tried making a 3D vector class in C++ that uses compiler intrinsics for addition/subtraction, dot product and the like, but all my attempts were at best as fast as the compiler's optimized version of normal, vanilla C++ code.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
But as far as answering "why not pair program?" assuming a team of experienced developers:
2) we get twice as much work done per unit of time. This is kind of a big deal

Assuming that these experiences developers have never read The Mythical Man Month, and that pair programming has zero productivity benefit, yes.

I can think of plenty of times during development on a number of projects where a lot of development time could have been saved if I'd been able to stop colleagues heading off down the wrong path or vice versa. I've never used pair programming in anger, and have been against it in the past for similar reasons to you, but I'm growing to think it could have some benefits even (or especially) in groups of skilled developers.

r1chard

In my job I've done three new projects all of which were Python 3.3 (and then 3.4) based in the last six months. We also migrated a couple of older 2.6-based projects last week.

injurai

Banned
In my job I've done three new projects all of which were Python 3.3 (and then 3.4) based in the last six months. We also migrated a couple of older 2.6-based projects last week.

I did pose the original question because I want to pick up python. For a long time I was told to learn 2.7, and most resources are still geared towards that. The core surely isn't too different, but would you say it's just best to start with 3.x going forward from now?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ah, okay. So, if you turn optimization on, hand-optimizing a loop like that (with unrolling and whatever) will do nothing, or at least nothing statistically significant. The optimizer will unroll loops for you, it will use vector instructions (SSE, AVX and all that) and there are also compilers that will automatically parallelize a section of code for you if you annotate it (OpenMP). You can be smarter than the compiler, but that's generally a lot of work and involves a lot of knowledge of the architecture you're coding on and also the assembly. I've tried making a 3D vector class in C++ that uses compiler intrinsics for addition/subtraction, dot product and the like, but all my attempts were at best as fast as the compiler's optimized version of normal, vanilla C++ code.

Unfortunately I can't use compiler optimizations. I think parallelism (the 2nd example) maybe requires an optimizing compiler to function as it should. With no compiler optimization I think the 2nd example is running slower than the first because there is no parallelism going on, yet there are a bunch of extra variables it has to access and deal with.

If this is the case, and my understanding is correct, then my 3rd example would make sense (completely removing the loop and explicitly doing 10000 adds). The only thing making any of the code samples run faster, as far as I can tell, is the fact that there are fewer jump instructions in the assembly code when I add more than one element into "accumulator" inside of the loop. If I add 5 elements in the loop before it jumps again, this cuts jump instructions down by 5 (vs only adding 1 element into accumulator per loop iteration).

By getting rid of the loop and having 10,000 explicit adds (which takes up an insane number of lines of code for something so simple), I completely get rid of all jump instructions. I guess the fastest code possible while keeping the for loop would be to do 2 loop iterations, and do 5000 adds in each iteration. Somehow I doubt this would be acceptable to my teacher, or what she is looking for.

I need to find a way to make the code more efficient that doesn't involve lowering the number of jump instructions or getting into the assembly code. I'm confused.

Unfortunately I can't use compiler optimizations. I think parallelism (the 2nd example) maybe requires an optimizing compiler to function as it should. With no compiler optimization I think the 2nd example is running slower than the first because there is no parallelism going on, yet there are a bunch of extra variables it has to access and deal with.

If this is the case, and my understanding is correct, then my 3rd example would make sense (completely removing the loop and explicitly doing 10000 adds). The only thing making any of the code samples run faster, as far as I can tell, is the fact that there are fewer jump instructions in the assembly code when I add more than one element into "accumulator" inside of the loop. If I add 5 elements in the loop before it jumps again, this cuts jump instructions down by 5 (vs only adding 1 element into accumulator per loop iteration).

By getting rid of the loop and having 10,000 explicit adds (which takes up an insane number of lines of code for something so simple), I completely get rid of all jump instructions. I guess the fastest code possible while keeping the for loop would be to do 2 loop iterations, and do 5000 adds in each iteration. Somehow I doubt this would be acceptable to my teacher, or what she is looking for.

I need to find a way to make the code more efficient that doesn't involve lowering the number of jump instructions or getting into the assembly code. I'm confused.

Yeah, that does make sense. Jump instructions means that a misprediction might happen, which leads to pipeline stalls. However, with a loop as simple as that and with branch predictors being as good as they are today, I can't imagine it would be a big difference. Do you have any information about the data stored in the array? Also, I think it might help if you go through the data once (before the real loop) to warm up the caches. This is pretty much the extent of my knowledge with low-level stuff, sadly.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Yeah, that does make sense. Jump instructions means that a misprediction might happen, which leads to pipeline stalls. However, with a loop as simple as that and with branch predictors being as good as they are today, I can't imagine it would be a big difference. Do you have any information about the data stored in the array? Also, I think it might help if you go through the data once (before the real loop) to warm up the caches. This is pretty much the extent of my knowledge with low-level stuff, sadly.

each element in the array is a random integer between 0 and 13. After the array is initialized (with the random data) the for loop I've shown is run through several hundred thousand times (using another outer loop). I think this is just to make it easier to see whether code changes have any effect, since if it was run through only once the program would execute in less than a millisecond. We can only make changes in the inner loop that I showed above, however.

I think jump instructions have a negative impact because of how simple the loop is. In the original, non-optimzed code that has 10,000 loop iterations, the cpu only has to do a few instructions.per element in order to add an elements value into accumulate. For each loop iteration you have several more instructions: a compare (for the loop condition), a jump instruction, and iterating the loop variable j. If we lower the amount of times all of these loop instructions execute then we speed up the program.

tokkun

The issue may have to do with the performance of the hardware prefetcher. Instead of using 10K array elements, try adding the first 1K elements ten times and see how that impacts the speed-up. As close to the edge said, you should also try to read the values prior to starting the benchmarking to prime the caches.

You can also take a look at the hardware performance counters and look at the cache miss rates and IPC.

I didn't catch whether you looked at the assembly code being generated by your compiler, but if not, that should probably be the first step. Calculate the actual number of instructions for each implementation. If one implementation is out-performing another, it is either due to fewer instructions or higher IPC (or both), and figuring out which is the first step to understanding the performance difference.

Lastly, make sure the OS is not interfering. Set the process priorities to real-time and disable any turbo modes/DVFS. Try to limit any other processes from running in the background.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The issue may have to do with the performance of the hardware prefetcher. Instead of using 10K array elements, try adding the first 1K elements ten times and see how that impacts the speed-up. As close to the edge said, you should also try to read the values prior to starting the benchmarking to prime the caches.

You can also take a look at the hardware performance counters and look at the cache miss rates and IPC.

I didn't catch whether you looked at the assembly code being generated by your compiler, but if not, that should probably be the first step. Calculate the actual number of instructions for each implementation. If one implementation is out-performing another, it is either due to fewer instructions or higher IPC (or both), and figuring out which is the first step to understanding the performance difference.

Lastly, make sure the OS is not interfering. Set the process priorities to real-time and disable any turbo modes/DVFS. Try to limit any other processes from running in the background.

A lot of that is over my head, this is my 3rd comp sci class, lol. I'll look at the assembly and see what I can understand of it. I'll look up what IPC is and/or how to access the hardware performance counter. We only learned the bare basics of assembly and she said she doesn't expect us to fully understand it or how to write good assembly code. But I will definitely look into those things.

As far as priming the caches, there's an outer loop that runs through the loop I gave several hundred thousand times. Wouldn't this outer loop prime the registers on the first run-through, or am I missing something?

My book also said that something called SIMD code is very efficient but never went into detail about how to use/implement it.

tokkun

A lot of that is over my head, this is my 3rd comp sci class, lol. I'll look at the assembly and see what I can understand of it. I'll look up what IPC is and/or how to access the hardware performance counter. We only learned the bare basics of assembly and she said she doesn't expect us to fully understand it or how to write good assembly code. But I will definitely look into those things.

As far as priming the caches, there's an outer loop that runs through the loop I gave several hundred thousand times. Wouldn't this outer loop prime the registers on the first run-through, or am I missing something?

My book also said that something called SIMD code is very efficient but never went into detail about how to use/implement it.

IPC just means Instructions Per Cycle. It is a measure of how efficiently the CPU is executing the code.

The run time of your code will be #Instructions / (IPC * clock frequency)

What you described should be fine for priming the caches, but you may also want to see what happens if you only use 1K array elements instead of 10K. The reason I suggest that is that 10K integers will take up at least 40KB, which may be larger than the size of your L1 data cache. The idea is just to get a sense of whether it is the memory system that is acting as the bottleneck. That affects the IPC.

SIMD instructions basically do the same operation on multiple pieces of data using a single instruction. That affects the total number of instructions. If you have optimization disabled, then you shouldn't see any SIMD instructions.

IPC means inter process communication to me! Why we gotta be overloading acronyms inside the same field? For shame, software industry...
Assuming that these experiences developers have never read The Mythical Man Month, and that pair programming has zero productivity benefit, yes.

I can think of plenty of times during development on a number of projects where a lot of development time could have been saved if I'd been able to stop colleagues heading off down the wrong path or vice versa. I've never used pair programming in anger, and have been against it in the past for similar reasons to you, but I'm growing to think it could have some benefits even (or especially) in groups of skilled developers.
I haven't read books on how pair programming works, but I have experienced it: with extremely talented experienced developers, not-very talented developers, and with rookie developers.

I can see it being very useful if you're limited to the latter 2 groups. e.g. if your developers are, to put it bluntly, incapable of successfully writing code on their own without fucking something up.

If they are in fact capable, then we gain no productivity benefit -- except that it prevents people from slacking off (sometimes). Two threads at the same clockspeed > one.

I should add that my experience is tied to an agile methodology. Going down the wrong path on your own is hard to do, since you have morning status/standup/scrum, and communication (and asking questions like "wtf should I do, does this look right?") is heavily encouraged. To me, that ability and willingness to communicate is part of the definition of a talented, experienced developer.

The less talented ones? To be blunt again, those are the people you fire.

r1chard

I did pose the original question because I want to pick up python. For a long time I was told to learn 2.7, and most resources are still geared towards that. The core surely isn't too different, but would you say it's just best to start with 3.x going forward from now?
Yes, unless there's some dependency that's unlikely to be ported soon (and the popular stuff has been by now) then you'd be best off using 3+ since it is the future of Python.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I haven't read books on how pair programming works, but I have experienced it: with extremely talented experienced developers, not-very talented developers, and with rookie developers.

The Mythical Man Month isn't about pair programming; it's about the misconception that two developers working in parallel are twice as productive as one developer, and the idea that adding more manpower to a late project makes it later. :p

injurai

Banned
The Mythical Man Month isn't about pair programming; it's about the misconception that two developers are twice as productive as one developer, and the idea that adding more manpower to a late project makes it later. :p

Pair programming is a great way to introduce new team members to an existing project and does greatly expedite progress early on. It can also produce better code, and is often better when carrying out project wide refactoring.

Kansoku

I think I'm the only one here who doesn't like pair programming. Every singe time I had to do pair programming I spent more time trying to explain to the other person why I was doing that than actually programming. I've worked two similar problems, and the one with pair programming took me three days to finish while the other one I finished it in one night.

The Mythical Man Month isn't about pair programming; it's about the misconception that two developers working in parallel are twice as productive as one developer, and the idea that adding more manpower to a late project makes it later. :p

Mythical Man Month is one of my all time favorite books in computer science. It's a must read for everyone in the field. I also like The Inmates Are Running the Asylum by Alan Cooper.

I think I'm the only one here who doesn't like pair programming. Every singe time I had to do pair programming I spent more time trying to explain to the other person why I was doing that than actually programming. I've worked two similar problems, and the one with pair programming took me three days to finish while the other one I finished it in one night.

If you had to stop every few minutes to explain yourself, one of you probably learned something, making it a valuable exercise.

injurai

Banned

I'd say the process made you a better programmer even if you didn't notice. But beyond that, it greatly aided someone else. There is immense value in spreading knowledge. It is something that should never be guarded and withheld from others that may benefit from it. It's fine to not like it, but I think there is immense value in it. Of course it shouldn't be used as a crutch, and there is equal value on growing in solo programming.

1) twice is a little strong for an average (since it's arguably the upper bound), but > 50% more productive apart is enough to be worth it. When everyone knows what they're doing, the time lost hurts more than the trouble saved.
2) adding more manpower to a late project doesn't make it later... but you can't use nine women to get a baby in one month, either.

I sense a long string of firings in my future...
I know this is a joke, but here's advice anyway: just keep trying to get better. As long as he/she's improving, firing a developer is stupidity. (or necessity, in the case of layoffs...)

Having dabbled with both 2.7 is recommended for learning because it has better code-readability and is (obviously debatable) a bit easier to pickup. 3.x is probably a lot more modern and versatile, but my experience with it was that it was also a bit more abstract.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
1) twice is a little strong for an average (since it's arguably the upper bound), but > 50% more productive apart is enough to be worth it.

Well, that's the thing. We don't actually know what those numbers are. Good people who use pair programming a lot find it very productive. You're not going to get hard numbers on that sort of thing without serious work - and trying pair programming a couple of times and dismissing it doesn't count as serious. It doesn't help that productivity isn't exactly an easy thing to measure at the best of times...

Edit: My view on pair programming used to be very much the same as yours. I've come around to the idea somewhat having seen serious professionals using it on serious projects to good effect.

2) adding more manpower to a late project doesn't make it later... but you can't use nine women to get a baby in one month, either.

It can do, depending on the management style applied. If the people who could have finished the project three months late are forced to spend all their time bringing up to speed people who then make mistakes that need fixing and aren't as productive as the people with deep knowledge of the project, then it very easily can.

Edit: Essentially, if the cost of bringing on the new people (in terms of the extra work they create and training they need) is higher than the time they'll save - which it very often is for failing projects - then more manpower makes the project later.

BHZ Mayor

I'm looking for assistance on this matter. Any help would be excellent.

I'm using C# (Visual Studio) and I'm trying to send emails through Outlook through late binding.

This is my code.

Code:
        public enum BodyTypes { bodyPlain = 1, bodyHTML = 2 };

public void SendEmail(string To, string Subject, BodyTypes bodyType, string Body, bool DisplayBeforeSend, string Attachment)
        {
            Type olAppType = Type.GetTypeFromProgID("Outlook.Application");
            object objOutlook = Activator.CreateInstance(olAppType);

var CreateItem_Param = new object[1] { 0 };
            object objMail = objOutlook.GetType().InvokeMember("CreateItem", BindingFlags.InvokeMethod, null, objOutlook, CreateItem_Param);

var mailItemType = objMail.GetType();

mailItemType.InvokeMember("To", BindingFlags.SetProperty, null, objMail, new object[] { To });
            mailItemType.InvokeMember("Subject", BindingFlags.SetProperty, null, objMail, new object[] { Subject });
            mailItemType.InvokeMember("BodyFormat", BindingFlags.SetProperty, null, objMail, new object[] { bodyType });

if (bodyType == BodyTypes.bodyPlain)
            {
                mailItemType.InvokeMember("Body", BindingFlags.SetProperty, null, objMail, new object[] { Body });
            }
            else if (bodyType == BodyTypes.bodyHTML)
            {
                mailItemType.InvokeMember("HTMLBody", BindingFlags.SetProperty, null, objMail, new object[] { Body });
            }

//object objMailAttachments = mailItemType.InvokeMember("Attachments", BindingFlags.GetProperty, null, objMail, null);
            object objMailAttachments = mailItemType.InvokeMember("Attachments", BindingFlags.GetProperty, null, objMail, new object[] {});
            objMailAttachments.GetType().InvokeMember("Add", BindingFlags.InvokeMethod, null, objMailAttachments, new object[] { Attachment, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing });

if (DisplayBeforeSend == true)
            {
                mailItemType.InvokeMember("Display", BindingFlags.InvokeMethod, null, objMail, null);
            }
            else
            {
                mailItemType.InvokeMember("Send", BindingFlags.InvokeMethod, null, objMail, null);
            }
        }

This is an overloaded method. I'm just posting the overload that uses attachments because that's where my problem is. The code works fine for the non-attachment overload, but if I try to use an attachment, it errors out on the line
Code:
objMailAttachments.GetType().InvokeMember("Add", BindingFlags.InvokeMethod, null, objMailAttachments, new object[] { Attachment, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing });

"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

I check the inner exception, and I get "You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation."

Which leads me to believe that security changes have been made to our email server, since it's been working fine until now. Unfortunately I can't do anything about that.

So my question is, is there something I can change in my existing code which will allow attachments to be sent? If not, is there an alternate method I can use to send emails with attachments, using late binding, without any dialogs, or the user having to provide credentials, and with the ability to display the email before sending it?

Top Bottom