• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Programming |OT| C is better than C++! No, C++ is better than C

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Used something similar past few months, it was pretty interesting stuff. Although I didn't use Jade, never liked how it completely transforms HTML, ended up sticking with Handlebars instead.

I looked into Handlebars, but ended up going with Mustache instead.

Still want to learn Handlebars though, as that seems to be more favorable in the industry.

Mr.Mike

So I'm gonna be a TA for Algorithms II (1st year, second semester programming course in C). I've never taught anything before. Turns all you need to do to be a TA is to do well in the course, no interview or other vetting required. So I figure I'l read K&R's The C Programming Language and that'll be good review to make sure I know/remember enough about C to teach it. Of course my real concern isn't with my knowledge of C, but with my teaching skills. I'll be "live" marking the labs and I'll also have office hours I'll be doing every week.

So does anyone have any good pointers or articles about teaching programming?

I could kiss you right now.

IT WORKS!!!

Jesus, such a tiny problem that I mislooked. I spent DAYS working on this code. lol.

Thank you so much!!

Glad you got it working!

I looked into Handlebars, but ended up going with Mustache instead.

Still want to learn Handlebars though, as that seems to be more favorable in the industry.

If you can handle Mustache you already got a solid base for Handlebars so there's that! Handlebars is very simple when you understand the concept but it's biggest problem is that their website doesn't give very good samples for more complex cases (imo) and most of the answers related to it on the web are either outdated or related more to Ember.

injurai

Banned
So I'm gonna be a TA for Algorithms II (1st year, second semester programming course in C). I've never taught anything before. Turns all you need to do to be a TA is to do well in the course, no interview or other vetting required. So I figure I'l read K&R's The C Programming Language and that'll be good review to make sure I know/remember enough about C to teach it. Of course my real concern isn't with my knowledge of C, but with my teaching skills. I'll be "live" marking the labs and I'll also have office hours I'll be doing every week.

Just try to remember back to all the things that confused you, and how things finally clicked in your mind. Also as you teach other students try to look for the same. What holds them up, what helps explain it to them.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Answer to question 1) JavaScript. Guarentee you will be working with that along with some other languages/frameworks, but starting with JavaScript will be your best bet. "JavaScript: The Good Parts" is a great book.

2) Focus on Android development first since you have a Java background. Better to focus then to try and learn both at once. Google's development resources are fairly good for this.

Thank you for your reply. I was leaning on JavaScript to start off with. I'm glad my initial instinct was correct.

Granadier

Glad you got it working!

If you can handle Mustache you already got a solid base for Handlebars so there's that! Handlebars is very simple when you understand the concept but it's biggest problem is that their website doesn't give very good samples for more complex cases (imo) and most of the answers related to it on the web are either outdated or related more to Ember.

That was my thought as well, but I was rushed while working on it and just wanted to get a simple template set up. Going for Handlebars next.

Thank you for your reply. I was leaning on JavaScript to start off with. I'm glad my initial instinct was correct.

JavaScript is an awesome and terrifying language. Have fun!

Slavik81

I second this question. I first started learning programming about a decade ago, and have been a professional software developer for half the time since then. I honestly don't remember more than a few scattered moments of my first programming course.

If all goes well, I should be TAing an introductory programming course this semester.

I second this question. I first started learning programming about a decade ago, and have been a professional software developer for half the time since then. I honestly don't remember more than a few scattered moments of my first programming course.

If all goes well, I should be TAing an introductory programming course this semester.

As a student, remember that some of us learn better visually rather than theoretically. Also, live examples go a long way in cementing concepts if it's possible.

So I don't see the fuss about IDEs exactly. It seems like the main benefit is that it is a text editor and a shell bundled together. But notepad++ is a pretty great text editor and running the programs in Powershell only takes a few seconds. So if I'm more comfortable using notepad++ why exactly bother with something like IDLE?

So I don't see the fuss about IDEs exactly. It seems like the main benefit is that it is a text editor and a shell bundled together. But notepad++ is a pretty great text editor and running the programs in Powershell only takes a few seconds. So if I'm more comfortable using notepad++ why exactly bother with something like IDLE?

Notepad++ might be a good text editor, but there's so many things that help you code better, smarter and faster in many IDE's such as code autocompletion, better syntax highlighting debugging features such as warnings and errors, jump to function/method/class/etc-features. Some feature robust visual things such as graphs, some make project/file managing a joy. And so on and so on.

Why bother something like IDLE? Dunno, maybe the jump from Notepad++ to something so simple as IDLE isn't justified, but a proper IDE is mandatory when moving into bigger, more demanding projects.

Three things:

1) Intellisense. i.e. you're looking at some code like this:
Code:
FooBar foo;
foo.DoSomething();

You want to see what the DoSomething() method does. How do you do that with Notepad++? You can use Find in Files, but that will find all the other places that call DoSomething. What you really want is to just go to the location where the method is defined in .cpp or .h file. IDEs know about the source files in your project and connects everything together so that this is possible. In Visual Studio, Right click on DoSomething() and click Go to Declaration or Go to Definition.

2) Integrated debugging.

For trivial programs you won't care about debugging so much, but once your programs start getting more complicated debuggers are indispensable.

3) A build system. Again, when you're only compiling 1 file this isn't a big deal. When you're working on a project with 10 files, or 100 files, or 10,000 files, you don't want to be fucking around with command lines for every single thing. There are non-IDE solutions to this like Make (ugh), CMake, gyp, and plenty of other things. But that just adds 1 more thing to the list of crap you have to learn with starting out, and which probably is unimportant to you. An IDE eliminates this and does all of this fory ou.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

IntelliSense.

When programming big things, or just working with frameworks, being able to write <object>. and get a drop-down of all the available functions of that class is invaluable.

You can somewhat integrate it into Sublime Text, but it's not going to be as good.

Also, "Open declaration of class"; debugging; building; etc. Once you get past code you only write yourself, for which you didn't actually need multiple classes actually, it starts getting pretty clear.

moka

IntellIJ - I love it.

Shortcuts, debugging tools, Maven, Gradle, code completion, testing, code coverage, source control, diffing, refactoring, and more.

One thing I really love is the plugins. My team and I use this plugin that allows TeamCity integration. Remote runs = no more broken builds.

Majine

Banned
(C++) Help!

I'm writing a program to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, but in the output, celsius is always 0. Why isn't it getting celsius from the argument of the separate function?

Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

bool warmorcold(float fahrenheit, float celsius);

int main() {
    float celsius, fahrenheit;
    cout << "Enter the temperature in Fahrenheit: ";
    cin >> fahrenheit;
    if(warmorcold(fahrenheit, celsius)){
     cout << celsius << "C. That's hot! " << endl;
    }
    else
    {
        cout << celsius << "C. That's cold!" << endl;
    }
    return 0;
}

bool warmorcold(float fahrenheit,float celsius){
    celsius = ((fahrenheit - 32) * 5) / 9;
    if(celsius >= 0){
        return true;
    }
    else
    {
        return false;
    }
}

MysteryM

(C++) Help!

I'm writing a program to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius, but in the output, celsius is always 0. Why isn't it getting celsius from the argument of the separate function?

Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
    cin >> fahrenheit;
    }
    else
    {
    }
    return 0;
}

if(celsius >= 0){
        return true;
    }
    else
    {
        return false;
    }
}

Your float Celsius needs to be marked as a return parameter. I.e with an ampersand after just scanning the code.

Edit: here you go http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~cs368-2/CppTutorial/NOTES/PARAMS.html

It's known as passing the parameter by reference so they it can be returned

Godslay

Banned
(C++) Help!

Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
    cin >> fahrenheit;
    }
    else
    {
    }
    return 0;
}

if(celsius >= 0){
        return true;
    }
    else
    {
        return false;
    }
}

Pass by reference vs pass by value. I haven't touched c++ in years, but I'm fairly certain that you are passing in a copy of the Celsius value to the method that doesn't affect the actual value assigned to the Celsius variable declared in your main block.

MysteryM

Guys and gals, I've been a professional dev for over 18 years, coding specifically in Microsoft languages (vb/vb.net/c#/asp.net/html/sql server/xml and wcf web services) however one of my bucket list items is to write a proper iPhone game. I have a new Mac mini purchased ready for coding over Christmas and was wondering if there were any recommendations for books. I'm looking at writing a 2d/3d game in objective c and probably open gl unless someone tells me different. I've ruled out writing games in swift for now due to the amount of resource available for objective c.

maeh2k

(C++) Help!

What you need isn't a return parameter, but a function that actually does what says and nothing more. If you want to convert from F to C, use a function that takes only F, returns only C, and that is appropriately named.

Chris R

Guys and gals, I've been a professional dev for over 18 years, coding specifically in Microsoft languages (vb/vb.net/c#/asp.net/html/sql server/xml and wcf web services) however one of my bucket list items is to write a proper iPhone game. I have a new Mac mini purchased ready for coding over Christmas and was wondering if there were any recommendations for books. I'm looking at writing a 2d/3d game in objective c and probably open gl unless someone tells me different. I've ruled out writing games in swift for now due to the amount of resource available for objective c.

Whatever you end up doing keep us up to date. I'm a mostly Microsoft dev too, tried to do app stuff right out of College but it just wasn't paying the bills :(

Pass by reference vs pass by value. I haven't touched c++ in years, but I'm fairly certain that you are passing in a copy of the Celsius value to the method that doesn't affect the actual value assigned to the Celsius variable declared in your main block.

Yep, though I'd suggest using a return value rather than returning via a reference.

Godslay

Banned
Yep, though I'd suggest using a return value rather than returning via a reference.

I agree, and I also agree with maeh2k.

Should be it's own distinct function, as should the check.

Basically something like this:

float ConvertToCelsius(float fahrenheit){ //do conversion return celsius}
bool IsWarm(float temperature){ //return true/false on whatever logic}

In main:
Get user input
Store returned value of fahrenheit conversion in float celsius...
float celsius = ConvertToFahrenheit(fahrenheit);
Pass in celsius to IsWarm(celsius)
Determine some logic based on IsWarm value.

Pretty basic stuff, but easy to overlook when just starting out.

For opengl you're going to need a book that goes over opengl es, which is the mobile version of OpenGL. It is basically a subset of desktop opengl stuff. Keep in mind that a lot of resources on the web when you search for opengl tutorials (aka most of nehe last time I looked) tend to be the wrong/old way of doing things and that way is not available with OpenGL es so it is important that the tutorials and resources you use are appropriately targeted.

As for what version of OpenGL es you want to target, I would just target the newest OpenGL es available for your device. If this is your first time programming something with any sort of graphics APIs, there can be a steep learning curve so in all likelihood, by the time you release anything on the App Store you won't be worried about the version you chose being too new for most devices.

If you want to debug your application on an iPhone rather than just the emulator, you'll need to pay for the apple developer account which was $100 a year last I checked. You'll want to verify this is still accurate. The last app I programmed was for iOS 7 in 2013 so this obviously could have changed. At any rate, you really can't get the greatest feel for how your app is controlling without using it on the devices themselves. They simulate gestures and such via various combinations of key presses and mouse movements in the desktop emulator but it's not quite the same.

Edit: I should clarify that I don't believe coding in raw opengl to be the best way to actually create a game and get it onto the market place. I've heard good things about sprite kit for 2d development. That would probably be the easiest way to create a 2d game on ios. If you definitely want 3d I would suggest using unity. If you have a personal interest in doing graphics programming then go ahead and use opengl, but if your main focus is releasing a game, then unity is pretty much going to be better than anything you would create on your own. It has a lot of developers both working on the engine itself and using it to create games so it has the benefit of being a mature product.

Sorry for the double post but I just found out something I think is quite fantastic. Microsoft has released a basically fully featured visual studio edition as of November 12th (NOT express edition). This might be old news for many in this thread, but I hadn't heard anything about this. It is called Visual Studio Community 2013. See here to download your free copy of (IMO) the best IDE out there. I use emacs + gdb at work and typically operate in a command line environment (using cygwin on windows/terminal on *nix) - I wish I had intellisense and the VS debugger every day of my life. No, tags are NOT an adequate replacement. I sure do love dat command line though.

I could kiss you right now.

IT WORKS!!!

Jesus, such a tiny problem that I mislooked. I spent DAYS working on this code. lol.

Thank you so much!!

Using assignment instead of equality is a very common error in C. Some programmers even develop a defensive coding practice that helps the compiler to spot such errors: whenever testing a variable for equality to a constant, they put the constant in the left hand side (for instance, "29 == mday" instead of "mday == 29".) If you accidentally omit one of the "=" characters in such an expression, the compiler will complain because the left hand side of what it sees as an assignment is not a valid lvalue, instead of compiling the incorrect code and doing the wrong thing.

Update: looks like Godslay beat me to it!

(C++) Help!

Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
    cin >> fahrenheit;
    }
    else
    {
    }
    return 0;
}

if(celsius >= 0){
        return true;
    }
    else
    {
        return false;
    }
}

In addition to other comments on this, I'll add that you're trying to make the function warmorcold() do too much. You want it to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius and determine whether the temperature is warm or cold. In this case it makes sense to split those two distinct tasks between two functions: a function that will do a temperature conversion and a function to decide, given a Celsius value, whether it's warm.

bool warmOrColdC(double celsius);
double toCelsius(double fahrenheit);

Your main() would then get the Fahrenheit value from the cin stream, call toCelsius() and put the result into the variable celsius, then call warmOrColdC() to decide which of the two actions to take.

Decomposing code units into smaller functions or methods is usually good practice, although of course there is much debate over where to draw the line. Here there is an obvious advantage to having functions that simply convert from one temperature scale to another.

I was going to suggest a lambda, but it seems like the Python community has agreed for some reason that they're a sin... not sure why.

Anyway, looks like functools.partial will fulfill your goal

In 2006, Guido van Rossum suggested that the Python community abandon attempts to find an alternative to lambda functions after years of fruitless search and discussion. They're perfectly okay, though sometimes a named function may be preferable because it makes the code easier to understand and maintain.

As a longtime Schemer I find a lambda construct of some sort in a language makes it easier to adopt a reliable, relatively robust functional programming style, but Python is not really that kind of language and most coders wouldn't benefit if it were. Python lambda remains a useful bit of syntactic sugar, no more than that. The other quite admirable goals of the language constrain it to be so.

cyborg009

Banned
Hey guys running into issues trying to do an 'include' statement in my php webpage file. I have the included file in the root of my site and it works in the other files that are also in the root. But I made a new webpage in another folder and its like it can't find it even though I'm sure I'm pointing at it correctly.

Code:
   <?php
include("../public_html/topbarinfo.php");
?>

Been going through this book called "learn to program with c++" wrote this grade program (initially wrote on my own, but modified it as the book suggested later) but when i run it I get the, "unresolved external symbol" error:

Error 1 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int __cdecl WhatKindOfStudent(void)" (?WhatKindOfStudent@@YAHXZ) referenced in function _wmain c:\Users\sarthakscomp\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\grades2\grades2\grades2.obj grades2

please help

also can someone recommend a good intro 3d programming book? I want to start that after i finish with this book

tokkun

Been going through this book called "learn to program with c++" wrote this grade program (initially wrote on my own, but modified it as the book suggested later) but when i run it I get the, "unresolved external symbol" error:

program was simple before, just added a bunch of function prototypes this time

please help

also can someone recommend a good intro 3d programming book? I want to start that after i finish with this book

You have an extra 's' on the end of your what kind of student function definition.

program was simple before, just added a bunch of function prototypes this time

please help

Wow, first off - wall of text - the code tags are here for a reason. Second, you have a spelling mistake in the function signature of the definition site. You have "int WhatKindOfStudents()" at the definition of the function (note the extra S). The error message is just stating that it can't find the definition of that function (which it can't, because you technically didn't define 'WhatKindOfStudent'). This is an error at the linking stage - this is not an error your program spit out. Visual studio (technically the linker that VS is using underneath the hood) spits out this message.

As for debugging hints - if you come back with more problems, people aren't going to want to read through 1k+ lines of code as your programs get longer. Read what the errors state and try to look at those areas of code. If you can't figure it out, post the relevant code snippets. We usually won't need your entire program to figure out what the issue is and it makes it easier on us too. In addition, sometimes by typing it out and trying to explain it to others (instead of giant wall of text'ing us for over 9k damage), you'll figure it out yourself. This actually has a name - meet rubber duck debugging.

BTW, the reason the linker spits out a seemingly cryptic error message (I mean, what the hell is (?WhatKindOfStudent@@YAHXZ) right?) is due to what is called name mangling. C++ compilers do this to ensure that identically named symbols (in source) can be distinguished. This is needed to support C++ templates, classes, namespaces, operator overloading, etc. There are no hard-fast rules for this, so different compilers do name mangling in their own way. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_mangling. (__cdecl is just a calling convention specifier - not so important for you to understand at the moment).

A link for you to read so that you can understand the build process for C++ programs:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6264249/how-does-the-compilation-linking-process-work. This is important to know as understanding this is going to help you a LOT when you start doing 3d graphics programming and you need to start using libraries.

Speaking of which, I would advise getting a lot of practice under your belt before attempting 3d graphics.

Granadier

So spring semester will be my final sophomore semester. Credit wise I'm a junior, but major wise I'm still considered a sophomore. I've been working on campus doing a wide range of web and software development for six months now, along with quite a few outside projects, and I'm starting to feel fairly confident in the work that I'm doing.

People with experience, is it too early to be looking for internships? I was planning on sending out resumes this week to some local companies.

Hey guys running into issues trying to do an 'include' statement in my php webpage file. I have the included file in the root of my site and it works in the other files that are also in the root. But I made a new webpage in another folder and its like it can't find it even though I'm sure I'm pointing at it correctly.

Code:
   <?php
include("../public_html/topbarinfo.php");
?>

This could be a lot of different things. Have you enabled error reporting so you can see what the interpreter is complaining about? It's possible that this is a permissions issue or it could just be something like bad syntax that is failing to parse. It's impossible to tell without more information.

Wow, first off - wall of text - the code tags are here for a reason. Second, you have a spelling mistake in the function signature of the definition site. You have "int WhatKindOfStudents()" at the definition of the function (note the extra S). The error message is just stating that it can't find the definition of that function (which it can't, because you technically didn't define 'WhatKindOfStudent'). This is an error at the linking stage - this is not an error your program spit out. Visual studio (technically the linker that VS is using underneath the hood) spits out this message.

As for debugging hints - if you come back with more problems, people aren't going to want to read through 1k+ lines of code as your programs get longer. Read what the errors state and try to look at those areas of code. If you can't figure it out, post the relevant code snippets. We usually won't need your entire program to figure out what the issue is and it makes it easier on us too. In addition, sometimes by typing it out and trying to explain it to others (instead of giant wall of text'ing us for over 9k damage), you'll figure it out yourself. This actually has a name - meet rubber duck debugging.

BTW, the reason the linker spits out a seemingly cryptic error message (I mean, what the hell is (?WhatKindOfStudent@@YAHXZ) right?) is due to what is called name mangling. C++ compilers do this to ensure that identically named symbols (in source) can be distinguished. This is needed to support C++ templates, classes, namespaces, operator overloading, etc. There are no hard-fast rules for this, so different compilers do name mangling in their own way. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_mangling. (__cdecl is just a calling convention specifier - not so important for you to understand at the moment).

A link for you to read so that you can understand the build process for C++ programs:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6264249/how-does-the-compilation-linking-process-work. This is important to know as understanding this is going to help you a LOT when you start doing 3d graphics programming and you need to start using libraries.

Speaking of which, I would advise getting a lot of practice under your belt before attempting 3d graphics.

thank you. sorry for posting a wall of text

mooooose

So spring semester will be my final sophomore semester. Credit wise I'm a junior, but major wise I'm still considered a sophomore. I've been working on campus doing a wide range of web and software development for six months now, along with quite a few outside projects, and I'm starting to feel fairly confident in the work that I'm doing.

People with experience, is it too early to be looking for internships? I was planning on sending out resumes this week to some local companies.
It's too late for the big ones, and the right time for small ones.

It's never too early to start looking for internships. The worst that can happen is nothing. At the least you can get some good interview experience. This was one of my biggest mistakes in college.

Speaking of college, I graduated last week and got this:
yHFIHmd.jpg
Pretty exciting. So much coffee and redbull and pizza and chinese food and fast food and beer to get this piece of paper.
Any tips for a fresh grad starting work in the industry in two weeks?

Granadier

It's never too early to start looking for internships. The worst that can happen is nothing. At the least you can get some good interview experience. This was one of my biggest mistakes in college.

Speaking of college, I graduated last week and got this:

Pretty exciting. So much coffee and redbull and pizza and chinese food and fast food and beer to get this piece of paper.
Any tips for a fresh grad starting work in the industry in two weeks?

Congratulations. That's a hell of an achievement for yourself. Enjoy it!

Onemic

What would you guys say is the better IDE for Java, Eclipse or Netbeans?

Also what would be the best books/references for learning Java? I'm gonna start my Java course next month and I really want to soak up as much knowledge as I can before it starts.

NotBacon

As for app development, is there a book that is recommended to learn about the environment and what the process is like? They would be dealing with Android and iOS. I'm more interested in this answer as I hope to get into app development after I graduate from college.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Very recent Udacity course built straight from Googlers, with Android Studio.

It makes things a little more streamlined, especially in a production environment.

Try a real IDE, like PyCharm.

really loving coding though. after i get through this book, i want to get into 3d programming which should be interesting ^_^

How is programming divided btw?

3D programming
software programming
OS programming
what are some other main branches?

All programming is software programming :p

I guess I would divide it as such:
Kernel development
OS development
Embedded systems
Robotics?
Games
Application level development
Web development
Mobile Development
Scientific Programming
Artificial Intelligence / Neural net

There is a lot out there...

NotBacon

Also what would be the best books/references for learning Java? I'm gonna start my Java course next month and I really want to soak up as much knowledge as I can before it starts.

IntelliJ

Granadier

IntelliJ IDEA.

I guess I would divide it as such:
Kernel development
OS development
Embedded systems
Robotics?
Games
Application level development
Web development
Mobile Development
Scientific Programming
Artificial Intelligence / Neural net

There is a lot out there...

I would add systems programming, database programming, security engineering, ui / client development, and maybe others.

moka

IntellIJ - I love it.

Shortcuts, debugging tools, Maven, Gradle, code completion, testing, code coverage, source control, diffing, refactoring, and more.

One thing I really love is the plugins. My team and I use this plugin that allows TeamCity integration. Remote runs = no more broken builds.

Sweet, I'm eligible for the student liscenece. any Java books/resources that you'd recommend?

Definitely go with IntelliJ, have quoted my above post above about why it's so awesome.

Some books that I'd recommend:

Top Bottom