• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Propose a new mascot for Nintendo

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
With Nintendo in steadily dire(er) straits in the console industry (mostly due to their own failings) it's time to propose a new mascot that has a better chance to appeal a steadily aging and maturing gaming population. Propose a new mascot who can do that, here's my idea:

Captain N

Bring back Captain N, give him an update for the new millenium(including "tude"), have him star in a cool new game developed by Retro (one that has him fighting Nintendo baddies through the years) , make sure to retain the nostalgic appeal of the 80's cartoon show though.

Rinse, repeat.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
cg_art_spanx_redmonds.jpg

aoi tsuki

Most of us here are too old for mascots. We've grown up with Mario and Sonic. We don't need a mascot to identify a system with. Mario is Nintendo, just as Mickey Mouse is Disney. Changing that would mean changing what makes Nintendo what they are.

Besides, any mascot i came up with for Nintendo would be a boozer and... that's probably it. Closest i can come up with is

2barney.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
firex said:
They should make some musclebound guy with a giant penis, and he slaps around PS2s and Xboxes with it.

i would sooooo play that game. slapping people with the infamous "mushroom stamp" is the greatest thing one can do in life (or videogames)

aoi tsuki said:
Funny, the handle of the sword looks like a penis about to be inserted.

Didn't you know that SW2k Link was actually a crossdressing Link and that's why it got canned and replaced with Wind Waker Link? o_O I thought everybody knew.

Jumpman

Mascots are stupid, and are only good for amusing 3 year old fans at sporting events. Whoever came up with the "popular videogame characters are mascots" idea should be beaten like a pinata.

As far as Nintendo goes, they should push whatever they're currently selling. Simple as that. If they have good indication that something is going to be big, then they should push that product even harder.

It's a bad idea to make any one videogame character the figurehead of your company. It gives you a stereotypical image, that not everyone will relate to, which in turn, narrows your potential userbase.

firex

I thought of a new mascot they could use: Kobe Bryant. Kobe needs advertising, and making Nintendo associated with rape should dramatically increase their popularity and sales in Japan.

BeOnEdge

Banned
reggie is lame. wtf? a bunch of grown ass men swooning over a PR GUY??? that just wrong. Anyway, new mascot? MIYAMOTO HIMSELF!!!! imagine the adventures of miyamoto!!!! or a SD/cartoon version of miyamoto in his own game??? that would SO own. fuck reggie.

hobbitx

Well, maybe they could just give Mario a younger hip look, give him a slicker, more modern mustache with a cool east coast accent and have him say edgy stuff to people in the ads. Sure the purists will have heart attacks, but the casuals will eat the marketing campaign right up. I personally would like to see a reinvention of Mario for next gen someday to along with games based on the classic Mario.

If not that, I'd like to see a crazy engrish speaking Dolphin with legs called 'kikku-san' who screams at people and kicks things constantly. I'd like to see him screaming at people about N5's features in gamestores and on the street while scaring people into buying Nintendo systems. Maybe he could just be a Zora instead, those dudes kicked ass.

Mau_Mau

Banned
NLB2 said:
Mau Mau - is that wierd looking thing shooting eggplants out of his wand?
Man, I can't believe all the "What's Kid Icarus?" threads I've seen on various boards. Yes, those are eggplants. Ironically, his name is Eggplant Wizard.

KISS THE RINGS BITCH.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
capslock said:
With Nintendo in steadily dire(er) straits in the console industry (mostly due to their own failings) it's time to propose a new mascot that has a better chance to appeal a steadily aging and maturing gaming population. Propose a new mascot who can do that, here's my idea:

Captain N

Bring back Captain N, give him an update for the new millenium(including "tude"), have him star in a cool new game developed by Retro (one that has him fighting Nintendo baddies through the years) , make sure to retain the nostalgic appeal of the 80's cartoon show though.

Rinse, repeat.

They should also make Captain N more proactive and they should make it so he gets BIZZZ-ZAYY.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
larry, the nostalgic 26 year old manchild of ambiguous sexual orientation who thinks metroid prime is really terrific, just one of the best games he's played in years.

Flynn

Matt Ure: A kid who wants to be "all growsed up."

He hates cartoons and flowers and wants games with pentagrams and kill-rifles so he can be big like his daddy.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
drohne said:
larry, the nostalgic 26 year old manchild of ambiguous sexual orientation who thinks metroid prime is really terrific, just one of the best games he's played in years.

Holy shit, you've nailed it with excessive creepiness. A little too much truth in advertising with this campaign.

madara

They should buy old sierra properties, Quest for Glory, King Quest, Space Quest, Torin Passage, Gabriel Knight, Phantasmagoria, larry, etc. They could do alot with those.
Heck they could do alot with some famous old properties that would likely never seen light day again too, like alot pc engine mascots could be revamped.

Donkey Kong and Mario relationship would be interesting. Are they still enemies?

I think a fox mascot of somekind would be cool, like that travelers company one.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I agree with the Egg Plant wizard!!! ownage!!

Top Bottom