• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proposed plan to connect Brooklyn and Manhattan by sky gondola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Gondolas are cool, but entirely impractical as a mass transit device.

This will be for the wealthy, not for normal usage

I don't think anyone actually uses the one in London

When I lived in London for a year I tried to go on all bits of the tube network - took the metropolitan line out to Chorleywood, overground to Richmond to watch PNE play Brentford, even took the trams between Wimbledon and Croyden. But I still never bothered to go on those cable cars.

These are clearly a novelty for tourists and rich people. 5000 people an hour? Rubbish.

So, basically the same thing that Disney, Six Flags, etc... have been using in their parks for decades?

Edit: On second thought, I don't recall seeing them at Disneyland.

Empty

london one is an idiotic vanity project

might get a better view in new york, though. london is such an awkwardly grafted together and sprawling city, which makes it less conducive to that kind of view.

SimleuqiR

Gondolas are the things of nightmares . . . and disaster movies.

Used to work as a lifeguard in Roosevelt Island in my late teens, the Tram from time to time would get stuck. On windy days there was no way I would ride it either.

roosevelt-island-tram-schedule-projects--roosevelt-island-tramway-g879sgjk.jpg

A four-minute trip on the Roosevelt Island Tramway yesterday turned into a harrowing ordeal that lasted hours as a series of power failures left about 70 people suspended hundreds of feet in the air, forcing a daring late-night rescue over the East River.

The ordeal began shortly before 5 p.m. when the power went out, leaving the two tram cars, which each can hold 125 people, motionless on cables that rise as high as 250 feet above the East River between the East Side of Manhattan and Roosevelt Island.

Officials said the diesel generator that powers the system failed, and then the backup generator stopped working as well. Efforts to manually crank in the cars back also proved fruitless, officials said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom