• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 - Berserk Intro and Gameplay video

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
ft_berserk_a.gif

Intro: http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_berserk_gi.wmv
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_berserk_gi.mov

Gameplay: http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_berskerk_gp.wmv
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_berskerk_gp.mov

^lots of blood there.

NotMSRP

I still enjoy playing through the Dreamcast game once in awhile. The hack and slash factor is just fun in the world of Berserk.

I played the demo these movies were captured from, it pretty much plays like what you might expect from a fair upgrade to Sword of the Berserk. Which is of course, not a bad thing. It's bloody as hell and the monsters attacking you from all sides get chopped up real good. You also have all your subweapons from the DC game and in addition to those, special attacks from your friends mapped to the face buttons similarly to your subweapons, you choose between them via L1 & L2 if I remember correctly.

Basically if you liked the DC game, your gonna like this one too.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Beserk is a series that would greatly benefit from having the corpses of your slain enemies stay in the level. Sure I'd imagine that it would escalate to astronomical levels (going by the gameplay video) but setting a cap amount wouldn't be that taxing.

I like the fact that atleast most of the blood stays. I was hoping for the game to be a little more gruesome but atleast they have the body cleaving in.

Jan

Wow , the game is gonna follow manga storyline with al the characters of the manga since volume 22 . Awesome .

Very nice the scene between Griffith and Gatsu in the swords graveyard and I´m hope to see all new Griffith´s allies like Moonlight Knight Locus or Zodd .

Can´t wait .

Zaptruder

Banned
I'm confused as to when this game is placed...

it's got Gattsu talking to Griffith... but he isn't in his new armor yet... but I don't recall that scene in the manga.

I'm giddy as hell I a huge fan of the anime, and got all the manga released in the US thus far. I loved the Dreamcast game and I can't wait to check this out on my PS2. :)

The faces and facial expressions don't look too good to me... It's especially strange when secondary characters look better than the main ones.

That gameplay video looked mundane, why did he stay in the same spot for the whole video?

With that said, I'll be buying it because Berserk rocks :p

Two words: F*cking. Sweet.
eek.gif

I love that move Guts did to one of the armored trolls, 3min 2sec into the gameplay video; the one where he jumped onto its shoulders, drove his sword down, then somersaulted off of the troll, splitting it in half. That was... incredible.

I'm so glad this game's still alive. Now please, please, please... tell me Sammy's going to bring this one to the US. Or, if not them, someone else.

Please? :(

Spike Spiegel said:
Two words: F*cking. Sweet.
eek.gif

I love that move Guts did to one of the armored trolls, 3min 2sec into the gameplay video; the one where he jumped onto its shoulders, drove his sword down, then somersaulted off of the troll, splitting it in half. That was... incredible.

I'm so glad this game's still alive. Now please, please, please... tell me Sammy's going to bring this one to the US. Or, if not them, someone else.

Please? :(

I think there's a very good chance it will come to the US, especially after the successful release of the anime DVDs.

Jan

The scene between Griffith and Gatsu is just after Griffith ressurection in the swords graveyard where live Rickert the little girl and the ouji-san .

maybe sammy isnt so bad after all?

Really they're only publishing the game, it's still made by Yukes (they also did the DC game) I dunno that Yukes has any other relation to Sammy beyond this game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jan said:
The scene between Griffith and Gatsu is just after Griffith ressurection in the swords graveyard where live Rickert the little girl and the ouji-san .

GRIFFITH~!!!!

I must have this game if only to continue the storyline. =D

Does anybody have a link to an official site, or some screenshots, or character renders, or anything else? Seriously, aside from one grainy TGS2003 clip, a handful of "postage stamp" -sized screens from The Magic Box, and these two new videos (which are, IMO, a godsend), there hasn't been much of anything else on Berserk.

What gives? o_O

Spike Spiegel said:
Does anybody have a link to an official site, or some screenshots, or character renders, or anything else? Seriously, aside from one grainy TGS2003 clip, a handful of "postage stamp" -sized screens from The Magic Box, and these two new videos (which are, IMO, a godsend), there hasn't been much of anything else on Berserk.

What gives? o_O

bomb bomb

Yes, hopefully this game is lacking the completely weaksauce "run past the annoying enemies to clear the level and progress" game play mechanic of the last title. However, seeing as how Yukes is more or less making a verbatim copy of it's DC release on the PS2, I'm not expecting them to make the game any more intelligent.

Berserk just isn't relevant since Dynasty Warriors has long since come along and owned the beat'em up genre. They're going to have to kick the game play up several notches to make this one appealing to anybody that isn't already a fan of the funnybooks and cartoons. :/

I also dislike how the graphics in the cut scenes are more in line with the god awful art of the manga. I'd like to believe that the DC visuals looking more palatable was an artistic choice, and not a hardware limitation that prevented them from rendering everyone with odd shaped heads and gritted teeth.

Oh well.

I'll need to see more than Guts standing in one area slicing up monkey trolls, or whatever the hell they are, before I can make a call.

Not saying the DC version looked better, but at this point, doesn't look like this one is taking advantage of the PS2. :/

Looks just like the DC game (which I absolutely love) only with better graphics, and even bloodier. Awesome!!! Last I heard, it'll be out in December in Japan. Here's hoping it makes it state side, and possibly even to the GC or XBOX (don't hate me)

Grimlock

Was it just me, or was his cloak actually getting soaked with blood in the gameplay video? 'Cause I loved that! I just hope that it comes Stateside and that they subtitle it-or at least get decent English voice actors. The guy who did Puck in the US DC version was soooo annoying that I had to kill stuff-which, now that I think about it, probably helped my gameplay.

Grimlock said:
Was it just me, or was his cloak actually getting soaked with blood in the gameplay video? 'Cause I loved that! I just hope that it comes Stateside and that they subtitle it-or at least get decent English voice actors. The guy who did Puck in the US DC version was soooo annoying that I had to kill stuff-which, now that I think about it, probably helped my gameplay.

I liked Puck's English voice acting, it was funny, and matched the character. "PUCK, to the RESCUE!!!", lol. Gut's voice acting was very well done as well. In fact, the voice acting was handled by the same guys who did the voice acting for the Legacy of Kain series. The guy who did Gut's voice, also does Raziel. I hope he returns, cuz he's great.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
IGN has an update: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/526/526624p1.html

Gameplay centers around slicing through opponents using your sword and a few other attacks. Gatsu has two main attacks with his sword, a weak attack and a slower strong attack, each assigned to a separate button. Another button makes Gatsu go into a rage, with the screen turning red and the hero speeding slashing enemies for a limited time. Holding down the L1 trigger and pushing one of the face buttons makes Gatsu fire one of four projectile weapons. The screen displays which face button corresponds to which projectile attack when the L1 button is pressed.

some pics:

berserk-20040626052644997.jpg

berserk-20040626052651388.jpg

^I hope its the same voice as the blue squishy bear :p

berserk-20040626052652029.jpg

berserk-20040626052648919.jpg

berserk-20040626052648451.jpg

berserk-20040626052646904.jpg

berserk-20040626052646435.jpg

berserk-20040626052647404.jpg

berserk-20040626052639763.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I think Guts looks wrong from certain angles, but I love the picture with the huge monster and the other one showing his face through splashing blood.

DrDogg

Hrm... I contacted Sammy about this to get some assets for the game and I may have some bad news for you guys. I'll have confirmation tomorrow, then I'll post a link. I hope there was just some confusion between myself and the Sammy rep I spoke to, but I don't think so... more tomorrow.

Ar_

The character models are bad, as well as the voices. Some dialogues go on mid battle, DW style.

You have different special weapos (cannon is cool) and can call your companions as a cheesy looking form of bomb - they never appear on the battle screen, the view switch do a sad animation of them and then back to the battle where you see the effevts of the attack.

The demo was repetitive but moderately fun.... mostly because is Berserk.
I liked hacking the hordes of trolls. The fight with the boss ogre was passable, somewhat confusing - which fits well with Berserk - but not good enough to fullt make the manga justice.

DrDogg said:
Hrm... I contacted Sammy about this to get some assets for the game and I may have some bad news for you guys. I'll have confirmation tomorrow, then I'll post a link. I hope there was just some confusion between myself and the Sammy rep I spoke to, but I don't think so... more tomorrow.
No US release planned? :(

BojTrek

Banned
Am I the only one that thought this was...

"Intruder alert, Intruder alert"

???

and expecting to see a bouncy ball in the video?

HAOHMARU

Berserk:Gut's Rage kicked all kinds of ass on the Dreamcast. I can't wait for this game. It sucks if this is JP release only, but that is one of the reasons I got a JP PS2 before I left Japan. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Black Swordsman...!

I had no idea they were making this...pretty cool.

nitewulf

must buy. but if i wasnt such a big fan of the anime, i'd think its boring as well. they really should add more grapple moves, and the graphics should be a lot better.
and some enemies taking more than one hit from guts and still standing up...? yeah, ok...

Top Bottom