• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro performance estimate makes it look like an “underclocked 7800 XT”

PS5-Pro.jpg

Recent speculation surrounding the PlayStation 5 Pro suggests potential performance shortcomings, especially when you compare it to what many think is its discrete GPU equivalent. According to expected specifications, the console’s GPU is set to fall short of the AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT, a mid-range desktop GPU, or mid-to-high if we’re being generous.

Now, it is already well-reported that the PS5 Pro will feature 60 Compute Units (based on uplift percentages in Sony’s announcement). This is the very same number as the RX 7800 XT, leading people to believe that the PS5 Pro will perform similarly. It does make it a GPU equivalent to the PS5 Pro, but this comparison is not exactly 1:1.

According to the table below sourced from Quasarzone, this could translate to the same Shading Units (3,840). However, a lower boost clock speed and nerfed memory could significantly affect the performance, placing the performance (measured in TFLOPS) below that of the RX 7700 XT. However, it is still expected to perform somewhere in between the two in reality.

Screenshot-2024-09-16-at-13.23.30-1024x736-371x.jpg

When translated, the text beneath the table reads: “PS5 Pro: Estimated to have higher performance compared to the RX 7700 XT and lower performance than the RX 7800 XT due to the L2 cache/memory bandwidth advantage”. As one user online put it, “We got an underclocked 7800XT before GTA 6”.

Potential reasons why​

One of the primary factors contributing to the PS5 Pro’s potential underperformance could be its power consumption. As a compact console with a system-on-a-chip design, the PS5 Pro would have to adhere to strict power limits to ensure efficient gameplay and prevent overheating. These limitations may restrict the GPU’s clock speed, ultimately impacting its gaming performance.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
With the added ml etc its completely different. My only question is how a 2700x feeds it vs what they typically bench these gpus. But pssr is going to heavily assist with tge resolution side of things.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You mean the 7800xt that waste clocks to overcome chiplet latency??

This reminds me, tomorrow should be fun. Cloudy with a chance of "bad port/unoptimized" claims.

HjQCWZ1.jpeg

Are sonys pc ports still embarrassing?

Also, what's the issue with 7800xt I've never really looked into AMD cards? Has it got a weird design bottleneck?

Last edited:

Gp1

One thing the PS5Pro did to me is that it made me really curious to see what rabbit AMD is going to pull out of the hat with the 8700xt/8800xt.

I'm pretty sure that the entire PSSR/"rt improvement" is just some AMD tech like a fsr4 with a pretty name.

One thing the PS5Pro did to me is that it made me really curious to see what rabbit AMD is going to pull out of the hat with the 8700xt/8800xt.

I'm pretty sure that the entire PSSR/"rt improvement" is just some AMD tech like a fsr4 with a pretty name.
Could be the other way around, that fsr4 is just a fancy name for pssr.

M1987

Are sonys pc ports still embarrassing?

Also, what's the issue with 7800xt I've never really looked into AMD cards? Has it got a weird design bottleneck?
Nothing wrong with the 7800XT apart from RT, it's fast and can be easily overclocked by 10-15% bringing it to 7900GRE levels, and not that much behind a 4070ti

Last edited:

Elios83

Ridiculous take.
It's a completely new GPU with far better ray tracing architecture and AI based upscaling.
It's not comparable to anything AMD has on the market right now.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Zero Dawn also launched in a bad state. God of War was quite heavy to run due to using DX11 and that led to quite the overhead.

But everything else was alright.

Zero Dawn was one of their first ports and a major reason why they bought Nixxes.

Between Nixxes and Jetpack Interactive, I haven't heard anyone complain about Sony's PC ports.

TrebleShot

Goes out the window with PSSR and the rt performance. Don’t let the facts get in the way of a clickbait though.
I am amazed but maybe shouldn't be that all these equivalent PC GPU comparisons completely ignore the PSSR or RDNA 4 RT improvements.
The RT improvements are double right? so 100% improvement over the base model is pretty incredible.

What AMD GPU has that level of perfomance and an AI upscaler?
None.

Sw0pDiller

a 7800xt is nothing to scuff at. Really decent performance @1440p (around 80-100fps) on ultra settings. with PSSR en some RT advancements ps5pro will run circles around just about 95pct of pc users out there. All that for 700 dollar. not bad, really.

a shame it's 800 euro over here...

Skifi28

Some down clocked off the shelf part from the second tier manufacturer is what qualifies as "pro" these days I guess.
"off the shelf"

No, It's not. One could argue it's an off the shelf 8700XT, but that doesn't exist in shelfs yet so we don't really know.

Last edited:

iHaunter

You mean the 7800xt that waste clocks to overcome chiplet latency??

This reminds me, tomorrow should be fun. Cloudy with a chance of "bad port/unoptimized" claims.

HjQCWZ1.jpeg
The PC is not a unified system. It's a collection of parts designed by other companies that try to work together.

SHA

I hate Linus, he usually badmouthing consoles unless he got sponsor, now he's shitting on pro as he usually do to consoles, the only console he praised was the series x, everything else pretty much dog shit to him, he's disingenuous b
as usual.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hate Linus, he usually badmouthing consoles unless he got sponsor, now he's shitting on pro as he usually do to consoles, the only console he praised was the series x, everything else pretty much dog shit to him, he's disingenuous by
as usual.

Steve destroyed him anyway so he's completely irrelevant.

Reactions: SHA

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Don’t care how many times people post this shit I’m still buying one day one! Would I buy it at $700 maybe not but I’m trading in my PS five for an upgraded version for less than 250 so I’m good with that

Last edited:

Tqaulity

Was the final clock speed officially confirmed in the way too brief reveal, is it 2.18 GHz or 2.35 GHz?
No it wasn't and still hasn't been confirmed. Some insiders suggest that Sony still hasn't finalized the clocks and that's why they didn't mention it. They were clear in the presentation to word the GPU bump as "67% more compute" which implies to bump up to 60CUs. They didn't mention anything in terms of TFLOPs because you'll need a final clock to calculate TFLOPs. They did mention the memory bandwidth increase in terms of the 28% faster which matches the 18Gbps speed on a 256-bit bus we've heard for a while now.

Looking solely at raster, the 7800XT is probably the closest consumer GPU on the market to compare it to (as I've said for a while now). Yes it has faster mem clocks and thus bandwidth compared to the PS5 Pro and it may have a slight lead in boost clocks depending on where that lands. However, Pro has more L1 cache (allegedly), a host of GPU customizations to improve efficiency, a newer architecture in the RDNA 4 derived silicon, and the advantages that come with a closed system. Then you add the ML and RT advantages on top of that and yeah in general practice, the PRO should exceed the 7800 XT. In pure raster, it will be close depending on the workload (i.e. +/- 10%)

Lysandros

No it wasn't and still hasn't been confirmed. Some insiders suggest that Sony still hasn't finalized the clocks and that's why they didn't mention it. They were clear in the presentation to word the GPU bump as "67% more compute" which implies to bump up to 60CUs. They didn't mention anything in terms of TFLOPs because you'll need a final clock to calculate TFLOPs. They did mention the memory bandwidth increase in terms of the 28% faster which matches the 18Gbps speed on a 256-bit bus we've heard for a while now.

Looking solely at raster, the 7800XT is probably the closest consumer GPU on the market to compare it to (as I've said for a while now). Yes it has faster mem clocks and thus bandwidth compared to the PS5 Pro and it may have a slight lead in boost clocks depending on where that lands. However, Pro has more L1 cache (allegedly), a host of GPU customizations to improve efficiency, a newer architecture in the RDNA 4 derived silicon, and the advantages that come with a closed system. Then you add the ML and RT advantages on top of that and yeah in general practice, the PRO should exceed the 7800 XT. In pure raster, it will be close depending on the workload (i.e. +/- 10%)
Thinking about it, it's pretty crazy that we had a official reaveal with price and some technical facets without divulging elementary informations like the clock speed, without which the therotical compute ceiling (and a whole bunch of other GPU throughputs tied to frequency) also remains unknown. I don't think this a has a any precedent in Sony console history.

Last edited:
Top Bottom