• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5/PS5 Pro 30th Anniversary Scalpers Mass Reported to eBay and It’s Working

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
sL5SF4I-1.png

PS5 and PS5 Pro 30th anniversary scalpers are being mass reported to eBay after players decided to take matters into their own hands. The best part? It seems to be working to quite an extent, and there’s now an ongoing community effort to bring the listings down.

Enter X user Jimmy Bowers, who announced that he’s having a lot of success reporting all the listings to eBay, which are in violation of the website’s policies because they are preorders. The result? Those listings are being taken down.

Bowers is now being joined by others, although not everyone is having the same level of success. Still, the scalpers are being mass reported and eBay is taking action.

While these consoles will end up popping up on other platforms, it’s still quite cathartic to see scalpers losing one of their favorite platforms.

Animated GIF

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Seems like this will only applied to pre-ordered items. Once they get them in their hands they will still be able to put them up..

Mr.Phoenix

Meh... just us again having to deal with a problem these OEMs created. It should even be them making these reports. Not us.

there are at least 5 very effective ways Sony could have prevented this from happening to begin with.

gamer82

Good on them if stops the scalpers getting funds any ealrier good. Who knows maybe sony may just make more to gut punch them 🤣 people may finally wake up to being ripped off i mean those prices its not worth it just for a collectable and gd luck trying rt get a profit if you try sell it off .

Cyberpunkd

Kinda pointless. The auctions will go up again the moment the hardware is released. All this does is waste 30 seconds of a scalpers time.
Predictably there will be a flood of a lot of consoles at the same time, and together with automated price adjusting there is a chance even if scalped, it will not be to the same degree as right now.

FingerBang

Sony is really the one to blame. There should have been account requirements and/or just make 30,000 of them. Sony won't though. I'd get one even w/o a unit # on it.
I think many people would have liked that. I would have spent more for the Pro bundle, but now I'm just buying the base Pro. They'll make less money with it.

They should have made more of those. It was impossible to get one for many of us but scalpers are going to make bank out of it.

It's highly unethical, but ebay money back guarantee largely favors the buyer. It's why a lot of people choose not to sell on ebay anymore (myself included).

If somebody really wanted to screw a scalper and, at the same time, get a 30th anniversary PS5 Pro, they could buy one from a scalper, make a claim for "item not as described" to ebay, and then say, "they switched out the insides for a regular PS5," which the seller has no way of proving isn't true. When it comes to INAD cases and he said/she said, ebay (almost) always sides with the buyer.

Last edited:

mrcroket

It's highly unethical, but ebay money back guarantee largely favors the buyer. It's why a lot of people choose not to sell on ebay anymore (myself included).

If somebody really wanted to screw a scalper and, at the same time, get a 30th anniversary PS5 Pro, they could buy one from a scalper, make a claim for "item not as described" to ebay, and then say, "they switched out the insides for a regular PS5," which the seller has no way of proving isn't true. When it comes to INAD cases and he said/she said, ebay (almost) always sides with the buyer.
Damn you, don't give me bad ideas.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Sony is really the one to blame. There should have been account requirements and/or just make 30,000 of them. Sony won't though. I'd get one even w/o a unit # on it.
100%

This is a limited stock.
There is NO REASON for Sony not to put the preorder exclusive for PSN users only.

MiguelItUp

While you love to see it, you know the reality is they'll just migrate to other marketplaces and continue to sell unfortunately. I really wish we could stop all of this entirely...

yogaflame

Good. Scalpers are illegal, scammers, and ruining the industry. Jobs from manufacturing and R&D and legal retailers are very affected with scalpers.

Yea I always worry about selling on ebay because of this. I had a guy get pissed because I didn't send my mobo with something to cover the CPU slut beyond just putting it in those anti static bags or whatever they are called. Then he requested a refund and I told him that's fine but he needs to send it back to me. That's when he bailed on the refund and let the issue drop.

Top Bottom