• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultima_5

I used my parent's credit card for a few psn purchases... .Should I tell them about this, and have them cancel their card or what? They're already extremely paranoid about using credit on the internet, and this will probably make things worse...

Ultima_5 said:
I used my parent's credit card for a few psn purchases... .Should I tell them about this, and have them cancel their card or what? They're already extremely paranoid about using credit on the internet, and this will probably make things worse...
Eh I'd take a wait and see approach for now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zeliard said:
You and some others are greatly underestimating the potential danger here. You think you made a few phone calls and now you're in the clear? These people have your name and address and a skillful enough hacker doesn't need much more than that to socially engineer his way to identity theft.
Name and address is not a big deal really... How is that any different than opening any phone book and looking up any of the names? Date of birth is potentially a problem. I never understood why PSN or many other services like forums etc even ask for DOB? What do they use it for? I always answer something like 1/1/1933 there and never had any issues with any of it.

Zoe

Vagabundo said:
We are talking about ID theft. Where they have that information.

The only reason they would have that information is if you left it somewhere they could find.

Lord Error said:
I never understood why PSN or many other services like forums etc even ask for DOB? What do they use it for? I always answer something like 1/1/1933 there and never had any issues with it.

Internet laws concerning minors

gcubed

JudgeN said:
Names and address can be found in public phone books, I just don't think its that easy considering that information if public knowledge. Credit Card numbers will cause some problems but some of those can be easily fixed. Sony still done fucked up no if and or buts about it.

This game finally released? When?

good thing they got rid of most public telephone banks in the US, man, with a phone book attached to them, i wonder how the telephone companies didnt get sued daily for that breach of information

JudgeN said:
Names and address can be found in public phone books, I just don't think its that easy considering that information if public knowledge. Credit Card numbers will cause some problems but some of those can be easily fixed. Sony still done fucked up no if and or buts about it.

The CC numbers were encrypted, supposedly. Sony, however, are taking extreme precautionary measures and telling us to change our passwords and encouraging us to request new cards in order to avoid further liability.

if the CC numbers were stolen, it'd be an entirely different matter. Aside from obscure anecdotes, however, there hasn't been any evidence suggesting that this is the case.

Drek

Zeliard said:
You and some others are greatly underestimating the potential danger here. You think you made a few phone calls and now you're in the clear? These people have your name and address and a skillful enough hacker doesn't need much more than that to socially engineer his way to identity theft.
Only if the victim is a lazy muppet.

Name, address, telephone number. All things publicly listen in a phone book.

The only real advantage they have is if you use the same password and username for PSN as something more private, such as an email account. Even then you would need some kind of personal information stored there, or some secondary exploit (credit cards or the like) with the same username.

Even then it doesn't allow them to perpetrate real identity theft, just account hijacking. Short of getting your social security number its damn hard to perpetrate real identity theft in which they open lines of credit, procure false ID, etc..

Instead of worrying about some "identity theft" boogie man think about the actual steps they'd need to go through. Now if you're enough of a muppet to have left your income tax returns in your email then yes, you've got something to be concerned with until you lock that shit up.

Wonder why the attack happened directly around the federal income tax filing date in the U.S.? That is the real identity thief's paradise.

BeeDog

Anyway, seeing as everyone's discussing the ID theft topic:

How much damage can be done with the leaked info if:

1) The password you used on PSN isn't used anywhere else,
2) The answer to the secret question isn't used anywhere else,
3) The CC/debit card information they might have stolen has been blocked/replaced,

All other information (mail, name, address etc.) can be found anywhere else if needed, at least here in Sweden (through sites such as Birthday and Ratsit). Realistically, what can happen to me?

Ultima_5 said:
Among the different groups that have emerged in the wake of all of this I'm in the lackadaisical boat, but I really think you should mention it to them; even if the CC information wasn't stolen (which seems possible) they deserve to know.

BeeDog said:

3) The CC/debit card information they might have stolen has been blocked/replaced,

All other information (mail, name, address etc.) can be found anywhere else if needed, at least here in Sweden (through sites such as Birthday and Ratsit). Realistically, what can happen to me?

You'll be fine.

Drek said:
Only if the victim is a lazy muppet.

Name, address, telephone number. All things publicly listen in a phone book.

The only real advantage they have is if you use the same password and username for PSN as something more private, such as an email account. Even then you would need some kind of personal information stored there, or some secondary exploit (credit cards or the like) with the same username.

Even then it doesn't allow them to perpetrate real identity theft, just account hijacking. Short of getting your social security number its damn hard to perpetrate real identity theft in which they open lines of credit, procure false ID, etc..

Instead of worrying about some "identity theft" boogie man think about the actual steps they'd need to go through. Now if you're enough of a muppet to have left your income tax returns in your email then yes, you've got something to be concerned with until you lock that shit up.

Wonder why the attack happened directly around the federal income tax filing date in the U.S.? That is the real identity thief's paradise.
get access to as many e-mail addresses as possible. search through those inboxes for e-mails with login information for turbo tax. profit.

if you're going to blame individuals for not being as secure as they can be with their information, i don't think you can absolve sony of blame for the same thing.

Vagabundo

Zoe said:
The only reason they would have that information is if you left it somewhere they could find.

Internet laws concerning minors

Not really. Once you have things like name, address, tel,mothers maiden name, ... there are ways to get SSNs.

Sure Anon had SSNs for some of the Sony execs. Once you have some of the basics you use social engineering/internet databases to get the rest. With this file the thieves have a huge head start. There is a reason that this kind of information is worth a fortune.

diffusionx

Gold Member
BeeDog said:

I really can't think of anything they can do. Companies buy and sell names/addresses/email addresses by the millions and it's all totally legal. How do you think spammers get emails?

The real danger here, CC excepted, is the exact same danger that came from the Gawker hack - that people use the same password on multiple sites.

BeeDog

Vagabundo said:
Not really. Once you have things like name, address, tel,mothers maiden name, ... there are ways to get SSNs.

Sure Anon had SSNs for some of the Sony execs. Once you have some of the basics you use social engineering/internet databases to get the rest. With this file the thieves have a huge head start. There is a reason that this kind of information is worth a fortune.

But the stuff you mentioned above can be found anywhere. Here in Sweden, you can use certain sites (http://www.ratsit.se/) to get pretty much everything you mentioned. I typed my name in, and it lists my age, my address, my birthday (which, in Sweden, is 2/3rds of our SSN's) and job info. At least from the perspective of a Swede, the leak isn't that dangerous as far as I can tell, IF you sort out the password woes.

gcubed

Vagabundo said:

who can i talk to about selling this information. I have an updated version of thousands of records that i just got the other day. All the telephone numbers, addresses and names someone could want!

DrXym

If the CVV2 wasn't leaked then it's doubtful that the credit card details would do anyone much good. I also suspect that Sony probably handed the entire list over to the respective payment processors so they could be flagged for unusual activity.

A.R.K

Duane Cunningham said:
Wow, the most obvious joke possible. Why didn't they just make Mario the culprit, while they were at it?

well its IGN...they always want to go for the maximum fanboyism and riling them up

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
BeeDog said:
But the stuff you mentioned above can be found anywhere. Here in Sweden, you can use certain sites (http://www.ratsit.se/) to get pretty much everything you mentioned. I typed my name in, and it lists my age, my address, my birthday (which, in Sweden, is 2/3rds of our SSN's) and job info. At least from the perspective of a Swede, the leak isn't that dangerous as far as I can tell, IF you sort out the password woes.

And the last 4 isn't even that secret, to be honest. And even if a 3rd party knew them it would be hard to exploit it.

jergrah

The Plague has released his findings on the matter --

hackers-plague_480_poster.jpg

"Our recent unknown intruder penetrated using the superuser account, giving him access to our whole system."

lol51

my new card with replacement number arrived.

Notified the bank by phone on the 25th they said 5 to 7 business days, it arrived in 3.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Speaking to Bloomberg, spokesmen for Wells Fargo & Co., American Express Co. and MasterCard Inc. said they were monitoring cardholder accounts and hadn't seen unauthorized activity relating to Sony.

larvi

gcubed said:
who can i talk to about selling this information. I have an updated version of thousands of records that i just got the other day. All the telephone numbers, addresses and names someone could want!

I would suggest you talk to your phone company since they have permission either implicit or explicit from their customers to publish and or sell that information. You and Sony do not at least as far as I know.

FINALBOSS said:
Speaking to Bloomberg, spokesmen for Wells Fargo & Co., American Express Co. and MasterCard Inc. said they were monitoring cardholder accounts and hadn't seen unauthorized activity relating to Sony.
Great news.

Eiolon

Vagabundo said:

Actually, it's not worth much. You can get complete identity kits for $10 on the black market. They're a dime a dozen these days.

RuGalz

BeeDog said:
But how does one know if something's related to the Sony leak or not?

If it's a random person speaking, sure it's questionable. These are companies on the line, they have more ways to connect the dots than we do...

Beaten by a crowbar.. or some other weird "beaten" joke.

Only cuz I took the time to link the source!

daffy

Banned
BeeDog said:
But how does one know if something's related to the Sony leak or not?
Hmm, I am probably wrong, but Sony does have our CC information still. Is it possible they gave these CC numbers to those companies and they've been monitoring them?

Brannon

I should probably start answering security questions in a more esoteric manner, like...

Q: What is your mother's maiden name?

A: The United States of Sexy

This is the best way. Security questions should not be taken literally, but used as a call/response. Only YOU would know your response; anyone could inquire about who your mother was...

UberTag

Brannon said:
I should probably start answering security questions in a more esoteric manner, like...

Q: What is your mother's maiden name?

A: The United States of Sexy

This is the best way. Security questions should not be taken literally, but used as a call/response. Only YOU would know your response; anyone could inquire about who your mother was...
That's a great maiden name. Shame your mom didn't keep it.

lol51

Brannon said:

security question:
round( ( (Year of Birth / Sisters age when graduated high school )/ letters in wife's middle name) , 1)

RuGalz

Brannon said:

That's usually how I do it. I don't answer those questions literally, only answer that makes sense to me.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
plagiarize said:

Argh, I've had it. I love kittens, but for the love-of-all-that's-holy please change it. Whenever I catch it in my peripheral vision it looks like a cock-and-balls.

cannotunsee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom