• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Banned
notworksafe said:
Overreaction and tear stained pillows out of nowhere. See all you people "dumping" your PS3s in the Uncharted 3 OT. :p
I kind of doubt you would have ever seen some of them in a PS3 game thread in the first place to be honest.
But hey, rage against the machine and all of that.

Haliela said:
Called and cancelled my debit card ($7.50 charge) and credit card I potentially used.

Changed my secret questions for my bank account.

Added 2 step authentication and downloaded authenticator app for my Android tied to my gmail.

Changed my passwords.

Called one of the fraud alert agencies outlined in the email and had a 90 day fraud alert issued for my identity.

This ate up my entire morning. I'm never buying Sony again. They've fucked too severely this time, and I'm not giving them any more of my money or time.

be sure to post your ebay link for us too when you get done listing it. i could use a second PS3!

Hex said:
You do realize that you can buy pretty much anything from the PSN over Amazon if the paranoia really grips you that tight.
Though what if they get hacked????

I do realize this and I could easily use pre-paid cards on PSN as well, however I choose to not give PSN any money after how they have handled this situation.. It took them 7 days to tell me my DATA was compromised.

to me that is unacceptable

Hex said:
I kind of doubt you would have ever seen some of them in a PS3 game thread in the first place to be honest.

Kind sir, how many posts do I have to make in True PS3 Gamer Threads to be mad or worried about this?

I sold my PS3/PSP over a year ago, can't remember if I had my card on file, and just got the email.

Can I be worried? Can I post here without people jumping all over me if I detail the steps I'm taking to protect myself?

notworksafe

JetBlackPanda said:
I do realize this and I could easily use pre-paid cards on PSN as well, however I choose to not give PSN any money after how they have handled this situation.. It took them 7 days to tell me my DATA was compromised.

So you won't buy PSN stuff but you'll buy disc games from Sony first parties...

You know the money ends up in the same coffer, right?

Hex said:
I feel like keeping their names so I can mock them in future PS3 game threads...but I'm far too lazy for that. :p

ecnal

it's difficult to sift through 150+ pages of posts related to this topic, so i'll ask here:

is there really even any need to go full panic meltdown mode over this or are there really people having identities stolen and fraudulent charges on their CC as a result of the PSN hack?

FINALBOSS

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Kind sir, how many posts do I have to make in True PS3 Gamer Threads to be mad or worried about this?

I sold my PS3/PSP over a year ago, can't remember if I had my card on file, and just got the email.

Can I be worried? Can I post here without people jumping all over me if I detail the steps I'm taking to protect myself?

No, you can't, because we don't care.

Oni Jazar

Haliela said:
Called and cancelled my debit card ($7.50 charge) and credit card I potentially used.

Added 2 step authentication and downloaded authenticator app for my Android tied to my gmail.

Changed my passwords.

Called one of the fraud alert agencies outlined in the email and had a 90 day fraud alert issued for my identity.

This ate up my entire morning. I'm never buying Sony again. They've fucked too severely this time, and I'm not giving them any more of my money or time.

Why didn't you just report your card stolen? Would have cost you nothing plus no knock on your credit rating. Identity fraud? Is someone going to try and cash your social security checks? Register you as a member of the tea party? Ring your doorbell and sell you some PSN points? Finally you should always have stronger passwords for important stuff like banking.

Be sensible people. Watch your statements and report any unusual activity. Your banks already protect you from this kind of stuff provided you aren't grossly negligent.

darkwing

ecnal said:
it's difficult to sift through 150+ pages of posts related to this topic, so i'll ask here:

is there really even any need to go full panic meltdown mode over this or are there really people having identities stolen and fraudulent charges on their CC?

better read the OP, especially the updated FAQs below it

rapid32.5

Haliela said:

Changed my passwords.

why dump PS3 if you can just stop buying off PSN, or use PS cards instead to be safe ?

FINALBOSS

Banned
ecnal said:

is there really even any need to go full panic meltdown mode over this or are there really people having identities stolen and fraudulent charges on their CC as a result of the PSN hack?

There's no reason to go into full panic meltdown mode.

No one's identity has been stolen, no one has had money stolen from them as a result of the hack.

Just sit back and wait for PSN to come back up.

notworksafe said:
So you won't buy PSN stuff but you'll buy disc games from Sony first parties...

You know the money ends up in the same coffer, right?

Yes, But I have invested a good amount of money into PSN already and I still want to play those games, and I am looking forward to Uncharted 3.

I just don't want to give them money when the same game is available on XBOX

I guess I'm crazy???

again.. this only has to do with how long SONY took to inform me, way to long in my opinion.

Jomjom

Banned
ecnal said:

The situation is at 120% full meltdown.

ghibli99

Why are people actually canceling their cards instead of just asking their banks and credit card companies to issue a new one under the same account w/ a new #/exp/CCV?

And I agree that dumping your PS3 because of this is not only extreme, but stupid. Sony already has your money, and now you're going to not be able to play any of those games while losing on your sale. That right there is dumb defined.

Akainu

JetBlackPanda said:

This isn't csi in the real world investigations take time.

KJTB

Professor Beef said:
Penny Arcade's newest t-shirt:

zayBu.jpg

Pretty funny :p

It would be awesome if on the back if said something like "Credit Card: **** **** **** ****"

marrec

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
There's no reason to go into full panic meltdown mode.

No one's identity has been stolen, no one has had money stolen from them as a result of the hack.

Just sit back and wait for PSN to come back up.

This. full panic mode won't help at this point.

You should be more aware of your bank account and e-mail address moving forward. No matter what people are saying in this thread, if you had a PSN account then your Personal Info is out there somewhere in the hands of a criminal.

Hex

Banned
gregor7777 said:

Talk about dramatic.
You should be worried and you should get all of the information that you can.
Protect yourself, check your accounts and do what you need to do.
You should also take maybe five minutes to see why people are irritated at certain types of posts in 7600+ responses before perhaps hitting the reply button and chiming in.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Indeed it is... his loss of all his personal details.

Come on bro, we know that no ones credit info was stolen, its reasonable if he says he will stop buying products from PSN but to say he will stop buying products from SONY is just plain stupidity on his part, Hence why i said its his loss. I will be enjoying NGP when it comes out, he wont.

Hex said:
Talk about dramatic.
You should be worried and you should get all of the information that you can.
Protect yourself, check your accounts and do what you need to do.
You should also take maybe five minutes to see why people are irritated at certain types of posts in 7600+ responses before perhaps hitting the reply button and chiming in.

Why do you feel the need to keep replying to them? Why posts things like "I'm going to remember names in PS3 release threads" and "I bet they haven't even posted in the PS3 threads" when people post genuine concerns?

I don't think most are trolling you just to make you mad; ignore them.

Hex

Banned
ecnal said:

Check the OP it will give you the most stable details.
Some banks have chimed in and said that they have not seen any fraud connected to this yet but do what you have to do to feel safe.
You can do an easy fraud alert on yourself by going to equifax.com and it will forward to the other two big credit companies without having to do one for each.

sajj316

JetBlackPanda said:
Yes, But I have invested a good amount of money into PSN already and I still want to play those games, and I am looking forward to Uncharted 3.

I just don't want to give them money when the same game is available on XBOX

I guess I'm crazy???

Don't worry .. business will be usual in less than a year from now. Time heals all wounds.

itxaka said:
Yeah, actually after writing it I remembered that is accounts, not users. And not every user has a card attached or used one to buy.

Let's see with extrapolated numbers. NOTE: This are NOT REAL figures. Only extrapolated from real ones which means they can be exactly right or incredibly wrong (almost sure wrong)

Spain: 3 million PSN accounts - 300.000 had a CC attached. (Source: Sony Spain)
All accounts: 77 million / 3 accounts per person (for 3 regions) = 25 Million "real" accounts.
25 million accounts - 2.5 million that had a CC attached.

A potential of 2.5 million cards selling for 14$ a dump? Hell, even if it was just 500K "only" is a lot of money.

Which takes me to my point of it being a for profit attack. It's a high profile company and we are not longer in the golden hacktivist era.

Usually Sony supporters are arguing that PSN has a legion of active users. These same individuals are now downplaying those numbers.

I never thought there would actually be a scenario where Sony and its fans would want to downplay their PSN userbase.

snackattack

Neo Member
sajj316 said:
Don't worry .. business will be usual in less than a year from now. Time heals all wounds.

I don't know -- they pissed off the hackers pretty bad. wouldn't be surprised if more fun is in store for PSN.

FirstInHell said:
Usually Sony supporters are arguing that PSN has a legion of active users. These same individuals are now downplaying those numbers.

I never thought there would actually be a scenario where Sony and its fans would want to downplay their PSN userbase.
You really wanted to post that for a long time, didn't you. Just finding the right post was the problem.

Zeal

Banned
sorry i'm late to this, but one simple question: how can i change my psn password and email when the site has been in maintenance for days now?

FINALBOSS

Banned
FirstInHell said:

Why the fuck are you still posting in here?

I could have sworn we ran you out, grandpa, for posting your PS3 for sale on ebay and sharing the link with us all.

lollllllllllllllll

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
FirstInHell said:

Unless you have a list of names of people who have posted one thing and then the other, don't waste your time with shit like this.

Degen

Zeal said:
sorry i'm late to this, but one simple question: how can i change my psn password and email when the site has been in maintenance for days now?
you can't. just try to keep track of your credit/bank data and stuff

FirstInHell said:

Then again, you can precisely turn that argument around. Sony haters usually downplay the number of psn users. These same individuals are now arguing psn has a legion of active users.

Mithos

Gold Member
Zeal said:

The question is, when PSN go up again and force us to change the password will they allow us to change the securityquestion/answer at the same time?
I don't remember the ability to change that on the playstation sites I logged into before, so I hope they add it.

marrec

Banned
Fistwell said:
Then again, you can precisely turn that argument around. Sony haters usually downplay the number of psn users. These same individuals are now arguing psn has a legion of active users.

Whats the reasonably agreed number? 30-40 million?

itxaka

Defeatist
GTP_Daverytimes said:
Come on bro, we know that no ones credit info was stolen,.

Do we? All I have hear is that they think it wasn't stolen but they can't confirm it.

Oh and if someone wants to sell his ps3, sent me a pm. Mine's broken so I could do with a cheap one. Just remember how bad sony has threaten you, all the things over all the years. Get that weight out, sell your ps3 to me TODAY!

Hex

Banned
Zeal said:

I believe they will be running a batch file so that when you first log in it will force have you change it right on the spot.
Not quite sure how that will exactly work though because I would think that it could have some flaws that way.
There will be an update about that as it gets closer though I am sure.

notworksafe

FirstInHell said:

You should keep an eye on your 6 PS3 auctions, gramps. No reason to keep trolling around here old timer.

marrec

Banned
itxaka said:
Do we? All I have hear is that they think it wasn't stolen but they can't confirm it.

Oh and if someone wants to sell his ps3, sent me a pm. Mine's broken so I could do with a cheap one. Just remember how bad sony has threaten you, all the things over all the years. Get that weight out, sell your ps3 to me TODAY!

I'd love to buy someone's PS3 right now. Rage selling is tasty to my bottom-line.

Zeal

Banned
Degen said:
you can't. just try to keep track of your credit/bank data and stuff
cool, thanks. i haven't seen anything unusual.

and i'm most certainly not kissing sony's ass here, as this is a royal fuckup of biblical proportions (as my main man, Ray Stantz of the Ghostbusters would say) --BUT--, i think people are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

i don't expect these assholes to try something when they know everyone on earth is looking for them, watching, and waiting. if i were one of the people responsible for this, i'd be scared shitless right now. and all of these agencies working together WILL get them. it's only a matter of time.

i will be cautious, but i'm not doing anything drastic. i expect service will be up soon and this shit will fade into history.

Hex

Banned
gl0w said:
already checked. nothing there. Just one email from mastercard@blabla received today, and i don't even own one. Dunno it if is related. :\

I have received the email on a couple of email addys, but not on a couple more so it is hit/miss and I just figure that it will flow through sooner or later.
One of them did get smacked by Gmail's spam folder, that is why I figured it was worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom