• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Japan release rumour

Jonnyram

This is taken straight from 2ch, although the nature of the post seems to indicate some credibility.

PSP
23 December, 24800 yen
Included in bundle:
- PSP (black)
- Memory Stick Duo 32MB
- Battery Pack
- AC Adaptor
- Headphones w/ remote control
- Carrying pouch
- Cleaner

Launch titles
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour (5040 yen)
- Need for Speed: Underground Rivals (5040)
- Vampire Chronicles: The Chaos Tower (5040)
- Sangokushi (6090)
- Dokodemo Issho (3990)
- Minna no Golf Portable (5040)
- Mojipittan (4725)
- Ridge Racer Evolution (5040)
- Purgatory (5040)
- Gagarve Trilogy (5040)
- Lumines (3990)
- Armored Core: Formula Front (5040)

23 Jan
- Gran Turismo 4 Mobile (5040)
- Popolocrois: Prince Pietro's Adventure (3990)
- FFVII Advent Children (5040)

24 Jan
- Puyo Puyo Fever (3990)

Feb
- Metal Gear Acid (5040)
- TOE (5040)

WarPig

If they sell that much gear for $225 or so, boy howdy will they be taking a bath on it.

Izzis from that "hot-blooded sales clerk" guy?

DFS.

Brofist

The only reason I don't believe this isn't the price, it's the amount of stuff included. Sony makes a lot off of peripherals, I can't believe they'd pass up the opportunity to sell the Headphones w/ remote control for an extra 2500 yen.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Sho Nuff said:
No sale. What a turd-tacular launch lineup, too.
Have fun with this, then
924888_20041007_screen003.jpg

If I were in Japan I would probably buy Moji Pittan and Gagharv right off.

Mashing

At this point I'm going to disbelieve ANY rumor that includes any sort of memory device with the system... that just doesn't happen very often... part of their lifeblood is raping people on memory sticks/cards.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Mashing said:
At this point I'm going to disbelieve ANY rumor that includes any sort of memory device with the system... that just doesn't happen very often... part of their lifeblood is raping people on memory sticks/cards.

hammer_and_nail.jpg

They have to include a Memory Stick, or they won't be able to advertise many of the music features of the system.

Also, the remote/headphone thing is a standard for Sony audio devices, so that has to be included as well.

The only questionable thing about the info is the AC Adapter thing. The system is supposed to include a cradle.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That would be incredibly low price for the hardware by itself, much less with any kind of memory stick included, so I find it highly unlikely to be true.

Arcticfox

Mashing said:
The memory stick might be necessary. If the PSP has a hibernate mode (which I think would be kind of important for a battery guzzler) then it would need a place to move the memory contents that would not get erased once the system is turned off.

B E N K E

Most people are going to buy more memory very soon anyway, 32 megs isn't going to last long. The only odd thing is the headphones. The price however, seems right. It would probably have been higher if not for the somewhat surprisingly low DS price.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
'If this is true, they are taking a card right out of the xbox play book.'

the only difference is , sony don't have the profits to sustain the losses.

If this is the price, it's a very ballsy move

Jonnyram

Deku Tree said:
If this is true, they are taking a card right out of the xbox play book.
I think they have to.
This is very unbelievable if you compare it to Sony's home console launches, but they are fighting a different battle, and I think they need to be aggressive to make any kind of impact. a 32MB memory stick probably doesn't cost a lot for Sony to include nowadays. They may even have a bunch of stock that they just can't sell.

snapty00

Banned
DCharlie said:
'If this is true, they are taking a card right out of the xbox play book.'

the only difference is , sony don't have the profits to sustain the losses.

If this is the price, it's a very ballsy move
I'm not even sure "ballsy" is the word. I would say "borderline retarded." This is really very, very low for what you get with it.

Deku Tree said:

The "never make a dime for the first ten years" playbook?

I don't believe that's the price, but if it is? Sony is losing well over $200, close to $300, for every bundle sold.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Infact it is a cheap 32 MB Memory Stick Duo module: it might only be usable for game saves as it would not be good for video playback and if it is the non MagicGate version, ti will not be good for music either.

32 MB is perfect for game saves and RAM back-up: the RAM that games will be able to fully use will be less than 32 MB so there should be enough space left on the Memory Stick to store the RAM.

It is possible that the "suspend" mode only works if you have enough space left in the Memory Stick: they might format the Memory stick to leave like 24 MB of space allocated for "suspend" mode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If this is true, I pray the US launch is a little better. Only launch games I would purchase on that list are Lumines and Ridge Racer Evolution. US launch should be GT4 Mobile, Ridge Racer Evolution, Lumines, Hot Shots Golf Portable, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, and Need for Speed: Underground Rivals.

neptunes

Deku Tree said:

Xbox is comprised of 'off the shelf" pc hardware and a graphics processor by Nvidia.

Everything in the psp is developed by sony. (cpu, gpu, etc...) The only thing that sony didn't manufacture is the psp's lcd screen. (IIRC sharp is supplying lcd screens for both the DS and PSP)

Sony also plans for a 10 year lifespan for it's psp, and in those 10 years I'm sure they'll be able to gain profit off the psp. (Seeing as how they own their own fabrication plants and license games)

Insertia

I'm pretty sure a memory stick will come standard with PSP. It's the equivalent of bundling a Dual Shock with the PS2.

Wasn't Sony suppose to be holding a conference at the end of this month?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
DCharlie said:
releasing on the Emporers birthday!
he WILL be cross!

Yeah...that means he will have to fight crowds to get his PSP.... since it is a holiday... What do you think DC, is Akihito a DS man or a PSP man?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Hmmm.... i think he's too busy in his harlem full of sensuous korean and japanese women to be interested in either....

... he's probably waiting for the Xboy as well. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
23 Jan for GT4 PSP? That's probably the least credible aspect of the whole thing, considering that Yamauchi's comments just a couple of months ago were something along the lines that they were only just starting to investigate the title for PSP.

But as others have already said about the Memstick module, the manufacturing on that is probably peanuts for Sony and it won't ultimately be enough for any heavy media storage, or even game downloads. Makes much more sense to include one as a pack-in to help get the PSP off the ground in order to try and ensure there is a future for the PSP in which people would be likely to buy bigger Memsticks.

And, in any case, by making the Memstick the only method to save games, they already guaranteed they'd get minimal profits off separate sales of these since people can just buy 3rd versions from Sandisk or Lexar.

Bebpo

Banned
-PSP 24800 yen
- Minna no Golf Portable 5040
- Lumines 3990
----------------------------------------
33830 yen total

Would be like sex if that were true but yea that's waaaaaay too cheap to be practical. If true though, my god, PSP will dominate the holidays.

lexi

Banned
I call bullshit for the pure fact that if Sony was going to release at an impressive price point, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops as we speak.

Sony is not one to sit on such details while the DS hype gains momentum.

Hrms, 23rd December makes sense according to Sony's release scheme; 12.3.04 seems right out, at this point, but 12.23.04 is a close numerological second.

Even so, I do NOT believe that price with those features. If it's true, it's a total scorched earth campaign on Sony's part.

maskrider

johnjohnson said:
They are going to ask 5040 Yen for a movie?! 47$ for a movie on a UMD? That's insane!

Japanese printed DVDs are always expensive, 5000 YEN or above for anime DVDs is rather usual (I have bought quite a lot of them).

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just flying again yesterday, I realized that PSP would quite possibly rock in flight use. If just the battery isn't ridiculous. If the battery life is ok, I'm happy to switch in a month from DS to PSP to be my flight companion.

8bit

Knows the Score
I thought the cost of UMD production was previously touted as being extremely cheap due to them being made from old newspaper and bits of twig or something?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
JackFrost2012 said:
I don't believe that's the price, but if it is? Sony is losing well over $200, close to $300, for every bundle sold.
If the price is indeed right then the PSP is cheaper to make than expected. Simple as that. Sony isn't going to take a significant hit on the hardware.

cybamerc said:
If the price is indeed right then the PSP is cheaper to make than expected. Simple as that. Sony isn't going to take a significant hit on the hardware.

Um. No, you are wrong! If the price is right then Sony is losing a metric shitton of cash for every PSP sold. That's the correct answer.

cybamerc

JackFrost2012 said:
Um. No, you are wrong! If the price is right then Sony is losing a metric shitton of cash for every PSP sold. That's the correct answer.
Sony isn't going to take a $200 hit much less $300 on every system. The likelihood of them ever making back that money is slim to the point of being nonexistant. Chris Deering even said at one point that they wouldn't be taking a hit on the hardware. I don't think they're gonna go from a profitable business model to one where they lose $200 on each system.

cybamerc said:
Sony isn't going to take a $200 hit much less $300 on every system.

They are if they plan to sell it with those accessories at $225!

cybamerc said:
The likelihood of them ever making back that money is slim to the point of being nonexistant.

Which is the reason I don't believe that price point one bit.

cybamerc

JackFrost2012:

> They are if they plan to sell it with those accessories at $225!

With all due respect I don't think you know the manufacturing costs of these items. I'm not saying I believe the information is correct but IF it is then PSP is cheaper to make than expected. I'm absolutely positive Sony won't be taking a significant hit on this system.

Top Bottom