• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR allows 3D audio supported in non-VR games to work with any set of headphones

joeblow

Some of you know that the PS4 allows 3D audio to work with their new Platinum Wireless Headset. Uncharted 4 is the only title so far that outputs this feature, as far as I know. On the PSVR, many if not all of the VR titles also support 3D audio, but with any headset connected via wires.

Some of us wondered if the VR headset would allow 3D audio to work on non-VR games like UC4, and it turns out that it does. After I turned on the unit, UC4's option menu then shows the 3D audio option. Connecting the headphones to it is the only way it works (i.e., you cannot connect it to the controller). This is a nice bonus for PSVR owners that don't want to shell out extra for a specific set of headphones to enjoy 3D audio in games like this.

For the best experience, I put on the headphones but not the VR unit. Instead, I play while watching my HDTV for the best image quality. Also, my home theater setup is still getting an audio feed, so I turn down the levels of my five satellite speakers via the receiver option menu and then crank up the volume. This way, my closed earphones only allows me to hear the 3D audio, but I can still feel the boom-boom bass of my subwoofer. It's the best of both worlds.

Gitaroo

Some of you know that the PS4 allows 3D audio to work with their new Platinum Wireless Headset. Uncharted 4 is the only title so far that outputs this feature, as far as I know. On the PSVR, many if not all of the VR titles also support 3D audio, but with any headset connected via wires.

Some of us wondered if the VR headset would allow 3D audio to work on non-VR games like UC4, and it turns out that it does. After I turned on the unit, UC4's option menu then shows the 3D audio option. Connecting the headphones to it is the only way it works (i.e., you cannot connect it to the controller). This is a nice bonus for PSVR owners that don't want to shell out extra for a specific set of headphones to enjoy 3D audio in games like this.

For the best experience, I put on the headphones but not the VR unit. Instead, I play while watching my HDTV for the best image quality. Also, my home theater setup is still getting an audio feed, so I turn down the levels of my five satellite speakers via the receiver option menu and then crank up the volume. This way, my closed earphones only allows me to hear the 3D audio, but I can still feel the boom-boom bass of my subwoofer. It's the best of both worlds.

Hi, does the ps4 hdmi has to be plugged into the psvr unit? If so that means you loose hdr. I plugged in the psvr unit to the ps4, 3d sounds shows up in horizon and says enabled but greyed out, but I am not getting any sounds from my headset connected to the psvr. Guess that means audio doesn't transfer bia usb only.

Planet

This flew under my radar, thankfully a friend hinted me at it. I guess it's the same for most people. And I just confirmed it playing HZD - don't have HDR anyway. Nice to have PSVR quality surround sound here, too bad I'm already through the game. But there's DLC upcoming so I will make use of it then.

Top Bottom