• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts hands-on (IGN)

FoneBone

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/554/554437p1.html
It's been a while since I sat in a room with walnut mogul and video game developer Tim Schafer, but I finally managed to sneak into Double Fine today for a chance to take a fresh gander at Psychonauts. The action-platformer was once a Microsoft title, but is now in Majesco's hands. Psychonauts is set to ship in Spring 2005 for Xbox and PS2 and after spending some quality time with the title, seeing a few levels in action, I think it's safe to say the big MS has let go of a solid gold hit. Microsoft's loss, Majesco's gain.

epmode

i love tim schaefer like a brother, but i'm getting bad vibes on this one. i'll wait for a few reviews, first. i've read far too many glowing previews, only to have a dud at launch..

Coop

I love the look of this game.. the black velvet level is awesome. I hope this game turns out great, like Grim Fandango. :)

hooo

boooy
Xbox IGN hype or a Tim Schafer classic? The trailer just oozed with style even if the gameplay bits looked a bit bland in comparison. If this turns out well it'll be the second xbox game I'll buy without a system to play it on. :)

FoneBone

Gamespot's impressions:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/psychonauts/preview_6109729.html
We're pleased to say that all appears to be more than well with Psychonauts on the Xbox. We worried a little when the game lost a publisher, but it's nice to see Majesco come in and save the day. The impressive work-in-progress version of the game we saw still has a few i's to dot and t's to cross, however, there appears to be plenty to look forward to thanks to the wit, solid gameplay, and overall polish we've seen so far. At present, the game is slated to ship early next year on the Xbox, PC, and PlayStation 2.

Deku Tree said:
Wasn't everyone saying this game stunk?

1 (one) person who had actually played it claimed that it was poor. From there it snowballed out of control like a game of telephone. Now, months later, "everyone" supposedly said it.

bobbyconover said:
1 (one) person who had actually played it claimed that it was poor. From there it snowballed out of control like a game of telephone. Now, months later, "everyone" supposedly said it.
To be fair, other people have echoed this one person's negative sentiments (having not played it, themselves) in numerous Psychonauts threads with the added, "it must suck if MS dropped it".

Very few people seem to have faith in Shafer or his new project :-\

ign previews are really scary. I can't remember what game it was but Cassima did a preview of this one game for months and hyped it to hell and then gave it a 7.0 or 8.o. Can anyone remember what it was?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
TheGreenGiant said:
ign previews are really scary. I can't remember what game it was but Cassima did a preview of this one game for months and hyped it to hell and then gave it a 7.0 or 8.o. Can anyone remember what it was?

Was it...Every game IGN ever gave a 7 or an 8 to?

My worry for this game is that it doesn't play to Tim's strength as a designer like Grim Fandango. As you can see, this is not your well made PC style adventure game with good humor and dialogues. It is a full blown action adventure game. I wonder if the team actually has experience of making such 3D action adventure title.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
don't forget to read XBN's psychonauts feature, in the latest Halo 2 issue. :)

it really is good! (the game, that is)

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Microsoft drops Tork, Psychonauts and Stranger.

Tork, Psychonauts and Stranger are set for release on Xbox in early 2005 and at least 2 of the 3 are looking like winners.

I guess Microsoft's patience has just dissapated. If so, not a good sign for Rare ;)

chespace said:
don't forget to read XBN's psychonauts feature, in the latest Halo 2 issue. :)

it really is good! (the game, that is)

Do you think it'll be better than Voodoo Vince? It sounds like Psychonaught will end up a lot like that game.
Not that Voodoo Vince was bad, but it's no Grim Fandango...

olimario

Banned
It looks gorgeous, quirky, and funny in the latest IGN movies, but the gameplay still looks slow and the protagonist looks like he controls like a feather. Character weight and controls is my biggest problem with platformers this generation. Super Mario Sunshine is the only major platformer to get this aspect right.

TheGreenGiant said:
Since when is a 7 or 8 a bad score? Those are pretty good scores if you ask me.

snapty00

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
Since when is a 7 or 8 a bad score? Those are pretty good scores if you ask me.
You're missing the point. The point was probably that the hype didn't constitute (or even get near) those scores, regardless of whether the scores are "bad" or not.

Vark

MS dropped them in April... 6 months ago.

The developments been rocky, that doesn't mean a projects unsalvagable. It just means that a year ago, it was in big trouble and a year late.. now that its 2 years late they've probably smoothed things out and pushed it to Spring of next year to further smooth shit out.

Its not entirely impossible for it to have sucked them (probably did) and be good now. you can do a lot in 6 months.

snapty00 said:
You're missing the point. The point was probably that the hype didn't constitute (or even get near) those scores, regardless of whether the scores are "bad" or not.
Well, imo, hype doesn't need to translate to a 9 or 10 for a review.

Top Bottom