• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Putin: Russia Gave Bush Iraq Intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
That doesn't make too much sense. Wasn't Russia one of the countries opposed to the war? If Russia had proof that Iraq was a threat to the US, wouldn't they have been fine with the US taking out Saddam? Maybe Bush called Putin last night asking him to dispute the findings of the 9/11 commission.

Ripclawe

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
That doesn't make too much sense. Wasn't Russia one of the countries opposed to the war? If Russia had proof that Iraq was a threat to the US, wouldn't they have been fine with the US taking out Saddam? Maybe Bush called Putin last night asking him to dispute the findings of the 9/11 commission.
He wouldn't have too, the commission members have come out and said the press got it wrong. But It wouldn't surprise me that Russia is playing both sides, France supposedly was fine with the war behind the scenes as long as in public they could be the "good" guy objecting.

Don't forget from a financial POV, Russia had a good deal going with Saddam.

Kuramu

He [Putin] added: "It is one thing to have information that (Saddam) Hussein's regime was preparing acts of terrorism - we did have this information and we handed it over.

"But we did not have information that they were involved in any terrorist acts whatsoever and, after all, these are two different things."

that explains Putin's stance. then the question is, is it alright to hit back first. that's for each of us to decide.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You would think this would have been brought up before the war..

I'm so confused now :(

Phoenix

dskillzhtown said:

He said there were international norms and procedures that weren't observed regarding "the use of force in international actions."

Regarding how the information might have been related to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, Putin said, "Whether or not this was sufficient basis to state the United States was acting within the boundaries of self-defense, well, I don't know. This is a separate issue."

Source CNN International : http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/06/18/russia.warning/index.html

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
dskillzhtown said:
That doesn't make too much sense. Wasn't Russia one of the countries opposed to the war? If Russia had proof that Iraq was a threat to the US, wouldn't they have been fine with the US taking out Saddam?

Russia was not motivated by the security of the US. It was motivated by the lucrative contracts Russian consortiums had in Iraq, which would all be canceled under a new govenment. It was also motivated by a general desire to keep the American military away from Russia, which isn't that far from Iraq.

If you think their opposition was motivated by respect for "international law", then I've got a bombed-out hulk in Grozny to sell you.

FightyF

Banned
Russia was not motivated by the security of the US. It was motivated by the lucrative contracts Russian consortiums had in Iraq, which would all be canceled under a new govenment. It was also motivated by a general desire to keep the American military away from Russia, which isn't that far from Iraq.

If you think their opposition was motivated by respect for "international law", then I've got a bombed-out hulk in Grozny to sell you.

The same applies to France as well.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Yup many of the nations that were against the war "generally" were not against it for some humanitarian or altruistic reason.

FightyF

Banned
And this info about Russia telling warning the US is old news. Even Russian papers dated 9/12/2001 had this info.

ghostface

DarienA said:
Yup many of the nations that were against the war "generally" were not against it for some humanitarian or altruistic reason.
True, just as the U.S did not invade for "liberating" purposes.

Phoenix

ghostface said:
True, just as the U.S did not invade for "liberating" purposes.

Indeed. The reasons for the war and the reasons that people were against the war are intertwined and complicated defying any one sentence description of why it happened. Far too many people on all sides involved who had a wide variety of inputs into what happened. Unfortunately people pick a 'perspective' and push that as 'the one true faith' on the war on Iraq.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Phoenix said:
Indeed. The reasons for the war and the reasons that people were against the war are intertwined and complicated defying any one sentence description of why it happened. Far too many people on all sides involved who had a wide variety of inputs into what happened. Unfortunately people pick a 'perspective' and push that as 'the one true faith' on the war on Iraq.
IBTN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom