• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle Agent 2 |OT| back to Scoggins

Salsa

Puzzle-Agent-2-a.jpg

Available on PC, Mac, iPhone and iPad right now!!

Agent Nelson Tethers just solved the biggest case of his career. So why isn't he satisfied? There’s still the case of
a missing eraser factory foreman
, a whispering madness is still creeping from mind to mind, and a troubling recurrence of... creatures... is lurking into the town.

The FBI's Department of Puzzle Research has marked the case closed -- are they sweeping it under the rug? Or worse, do they not even care? Worried that the case will languish forever unsolved, Tethers must go rogue and venture back to the eerie town of Scoggins, Minnesota to solve the mystery of "the Hidden People" once and for all.

Screenshots:

PA2-screenshot_1.jpg

PA2-screenshot_2.jpg

PA2-screenshot_3.jpg

PA2-screenshot_4.jpg

PA2-screenshot_8.jpg

E3 Trailer

Buy now on the Telltale Store or Steam (currently with a 1 dollar discount) and get a free copy of Puzzle Agent 1. Already own it? Gift it!

Reviews pending!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jeez, Steam really sweeped this under the rug. Didn't even realize it had just come out.

Salsa

Dance In My Blood said:
Jeez, Steam really sweeped this under the rug. Didn't even realize it had just come out.

yeah, a shame.

Sales gonna take a hit since people are saving off for the sales

Salsa

gdt5016 said:
Is PA1 good? Might get this. I like the Layton games.

I found it fantastic.

The gameplay itself and the puzzles are a bit shallow when compared to Layton, but the atmosphere, characters and voice acting are fantastic. Its like if David Lynch made Fargo.

dimb

gdt5016 said:
Is PA1 good? Might get this. I like the Layton games.
PA1 had good atmosphere and art, decent puzzles. Definitely worth playing and I would put money on PA2 being even better.

Salsa

I added spoilers on the website's plot since it kinda gave away the first game's ending :p not a big deal though

Picked it up since the first game was great and I got the gift, can't wait to start playing on Monday. BTW SalsaShark you can buy the game now for a $1 discount not a $10 discount.

Cday

Banned
The first one is pretty budget title. Even though it's short there's a fair amount of puzzle recycling and the puzzles themselves are usually too cryptic/clunky or too obvious. Everything else about it is pretty good and IIRC for Puzzle Agent 2 they hired a proper puzzle guy to do the puzzles.

dimb

The_Technomancer said:
You know what...I'm going to wait to see if somehow this is a daily...

I hate myself...
As a new release that seems highly unlikely. This is a very safe game to buy now.

sixghost

Ended up with Puzzle Agent 1 from one of the Steam Indie Bundles and really had almost zero expectations for it(I didn't even realize it was a Telltale Game until I loaded it up), and it blew me away. The actual puzzles themselves tended to be a bit unintuitive, a couple times I had to use 3 hints to even figure out what the puzzle wanted me to do, but literally everything else about the game is magnificent. The voice acting is great, the characters are wonderful, the plot is genuinely interesting. Can't recommend it enough.

It's amazing that such a small project succeeds in so many ways that most retail games completely fail.

I always buy Telltale games through Telltale. I'll be buying this soon! I'll also probably get my mom to buy it if you get the first one free as well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
sixghost said:
Ended up with Puzzle Agent 1 from one of the Steam Indie Bundles and really had almost zero expectations for it(I didn't even realize it was a Telltale Game until I loaded it up), and it blew me away. The actual puzzles themselves tended to be a bit unintuitive, a couple times I had to use 3 hints to even figure out what the puzzle wanted me to do, but literally everything else about the game is magnificent. The voice acting is great, the characters are wonderful, the plot is genuinely interesting. Can't recommend it enough.

It's amazing that such a small project succeeds in so many ways that most retail games completely fail.
The voice acting completely shattered my expectations. One of the best VA jobs in any game I've ever played.

newsguy

Dumb question: can I do that buy 2 get part 1 free from the website for an iPad or is the iOS version not part of that deal?

atomsk

Party Pooper
fuck yes, was waiting for this to go up today and got sidetracked by earning tickets

will start playing first thing tomorrow

I absolutely loved the Professor Layton games for DS and was hoping I would get the same satisfaction from PA1. However, the puzzles are really unintuitive and I often have no idea about what I need to do to solve them. So I don't think I'm gonna pick up PA2.

sixghost

TheNamelessOne said:
I absolutely loved the Professor Layton games for DS and was hoping I would get the same satisfaction from PA1. However, the puzzles are really unintuitive and I often have no idea about what I need to do to solve them. So I don't think I'm gonna pick up PA2.
I think that's how most people feel about the puzzles, but in general, there are enough pieces of Hint Gum to power through all of the confusing puzzles. It sounds like they've really taken that criticism to heart, but honestly, I was more than willing to struggle with some of the puzzles in order to get to the good stuff.

Salsa

QuantumBro said:
Picked it up since the first game was great and I got the gift, can't wait to start playing on Monday. BTW SalsaShark you can buy the game now for a $1 discount not a $10 discount.

derp. fixed

newsguy said:
Dumb question: can I do that buy 2 get part 1 free from the website for an iPad or is the iOS version not part of that deal?

no idea on this, can anyone confirm?

I finished this last night, and loved it. It's about the same length of the first one, but covers way more ground in that time. It's still just as strange, and Sheriff Bahg is still a great character.

vocab

I have a feeling this won't be a daily deal. It just came out. I still might wait to pick it up though. I did like the first one, I just hated some of the puzzles. Layton had the same problem as well.

Huff

Banned
Just happened to get the first puzzle agent today. Only played for an hour buy some of the puzzles are actually pretty clever and challenging.

Will get this one after I beat the first.

gdt

The Big Rig said:
If you're on the fence, I can gift you my extra copy of puzzle agent.

I am on the fence, but give it to someone else. I'm not really hurting for cash, someone else can use that game.

I'll probably pick this up.

amdnv

sixghost said:
I think that's how most people feel about the puzzles, but in general, there are enough pieces of Hint Gum to power through all of the confusing puzzles.
Can you guys give a few examples of confusing puzzles? I found all of them quite straightforward and didn't use the hint system at all. I honestly can't think of a single puzzle whose rules are confusing.

falconzss

Wow i didn't even know about this release Oo.
Played the first one on my iPhone but didn't finish it. Maybe i should buy the steam pack and play it on my mac instead.

amdnv

falconzss said:
Played the first one on my iPhone but didn't finish it.
Even though it may not look like it initially, but trust me: this is a game that's best played alone at night in the dark with the audio volume turned up to action movie levels. And on a real screen of course, not a phone.

Insured

OHHHH YES. SO bought. Loved the shit out of the first one, can't wait to dig into this! Loving the free copy of the first one too, I can convert a friend to buy too :D

The_Technomancer said:
The voice acting completely shattered my expectations. One of the best VA jobs in any game I've ever played.
Agreed. The delivery in the first game felt incredibly natural and laid back which isn't something you can say about alot of games.

I'm really glad Telltale decided to continue this series. The original was perhaps my favourite game of last year and probably my favourite Telltale-game to date, despite the shoddy puzzles. I encourage everyone who has even the slightest interest in this kind of game to give it a shot. The original is only 3 euro on steam so there's no excuse unless you're a hobo.

Moobabe

Finished this late last night - really disappointed :( I loved the first so much but the second game has some real issues which are both story and puzzle related.

falconzss

amdnv said:
Even though it may not look like it initially, but trust me: this is a game that's best played alone at night in the dark with the audio volume turned up to action movie levels. And on a real screen of course, not a phone.

Well i bought PA2 (came packed with the first game) through Steam today and had great time with it. Going to play through the first one again, this time on a bigger screen ;)

Moobabe said:
Finished this late last night - really disappointed :( I loved the first so much but the second game has some real issues which are both story and puzzle related.

Really? I thought the second game was even better than the first one.
Even though as short as the original Puzzle Agent.

Moobabe

falconzss said:
Really? I thought the second game was even better than the first one.
Even though as short as the original Puzzle Agent.

Yeah - I thought the story was weaker - especially the
introduction of the yeti.
And I thought the characters were sorely underutilised as well.

And the puzzles were repeated SO much it grew a little tiresome. Still, I'm excited to see what they do with the franchise from now on.

Aeris130

The coin-puzzle was so much bullshit. Not only do they assume you know the value of every coin in the american currency, but also
how to count binary
. I'm a programmer, but I can't imagine many solving that one without tabbing out to wikipedia.

And being able to "solve" a puzzle by knowing the 5th and 6th digits in pi? buuuuullshit.

Still a worthy sequel, just wish
Corka and the yeti
had gotten more screentime.

falconzss

Moobabe said:
Yeah - I thought the story was weaker - especially the
introduction of the yeti.
And I thought the characters were sorely underutilised as well.

And the puzzles were repeated SO much it grew a little tiresome. Still, I'm excited to see what they do with the franchise from now on.

Yeah i agree with your puzzles complaint. The type of puzzles didn't set itself apart from the first game for the most part.

I guess i especially liked the
random crazyness of some story elements like the yeti bit.

Moobabe

Aeris130 said:
Still a worthy sequel, just wish
Corka and the yeti
had gotten more screentime.

Yep - as it stands their inclusion is just a complete joke and another layer in an already bizarre plot. Don't get me wrong - I love the insanity of the story of the first game; it made sense in its own logic. The second isn't as consistent and every bizarre 'twist' just feels completely out of place.

tokkun

Enjoyed it, but agree with the criticisms about the story compared to the first game. The creepy atmosphere didn't work as well since the
astronaut and hidden people
were carried over from the previous game. I wish that more of the game had been like the
milkshake
scene - that was great.

Another thing is that at a few points in the game it seemed like there were scenes missing. For example,
Nelson is in the woods, explicitly says that he won't be able to find his way back, ends up running from the astronaut suit, then suddenly is back in bed with no explanation of how he found his way back or what happened to the researcher.
And of course, the ending:
After he throws the ray in the lake they just let him go? He is back in his office with absolutely no positive or negative consequences? Why didn't we get to see what happened with his boss?

falconzss

Aeris130 said:
And being able to "solve" a puzzle by knowing the 5th and 6th digits in pi? buuuuullshit.

I needed one hint to figure it out after guessing for 15 minutes.
Still, even my calculator gave me the wrong last digit because it already rounded the last number up.

Top Bottom