• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle Agent 2 |OT| back to Scoggins

Ok, what is the solution to the lander puzzle. I'm not understanding the rules or it's bugged. Do all the electrons have to get there at the same time? Because I've done it two different ways where it should work but it never executes my last move then gives me a rejected. So clearly it must want some specific pattern and not the ones I've come up with, even though they seem to work.

Nevermind, got it, and it's totally bugged.

tokkun

forgeforsaken said:
Ok, what is the solution to the lander puzzle. I'm not understanding the rules or it's bugged. Do all the electrons have to get there at the same time? Because I've done it two different ways where it should work but it never executes my last move then gives me a rejected. So clearly it must want some specific pattern and not the ones I've come up with, even though they seem to work.

No they don't have to be the same time.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Just bought this because it came with the first Puzzle Agent which I haven't played. Professor Layton is awesome some I hope I enjoy this.

Won

Finished it and I'm disappointed that it didn't really improve on the first game puzzlewise.
They need much more variety in there. They game isn't that long, they shouldn't fill it up with I don't know how many "push objects around to clear path" and "put pictures in correct order" puzzles. :/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm liking the iPad version, but the puzzles have been very underwhelming and in some cases the solutions have seemed kind of arbitrary.

zerotol

Banned
This game is running terribly on my iphone. The audio is all kinds of fucked up. It sounds like a cd skipping quite often during dialogue scenes. And massive lag during any touch screen parts. I have an iphone 3gs and I don't remember having these issues with the first Puzzle Agent. Should I delete it and re install it or what?

So...
who were the two astronauts? One was Ed but who was the other? What happened to the missing people? How did the Hidden people get on Earth and why?

Celine

zerotol said:
This game is running terribly on my iphone. The audio is all kinds of fucked up. It sounds like a cd skipping quite often during dialogue scenes. And massive lag during any touch screen parts. I have an iphone 3gs and I don't remember having these issues with the first Puzzle Agent. Should I delete it and re install it or what?
Thanks for the impression.
When I'll do, I will buy for Mac then.

BiggNife

Finished this last night. Enjoyed it overall, though I can't decide if I liked it more or less than the first one. I will say it felt less like a sequel and more like "Puzzle Agent: The Second Half of the Game." The voice acting and humor were great. The story kept me interested for the most part but I think I kind of would have liked it if they didn't explain everything that happened and kept some stuff ambiguous, but that's just a matter of preference I suppose.

My only real complaint with the puzzles is that they seemed easy, for the most part. There were puzzles near the end of the game that I solved in less than two minutes, and I consider myself pretty terrible at logic puzzles. Maybe I just got used to how the game presents puzzles after playing the first one.

Having said all that, it's definitely a good game and I'm glad they were able to actually make a sequel. Anyone who liked the the first PA should definitely play this one. I really hope they make a third, because there's still nothing like PA in terms of visual style and thematic tone.

shawnlreed

I enjoyed the first Puzzle Agent for the same reasons most of you did: great voice acting, interesting locations, and the quirky storyline. The puzzles were not up to Layton standards, but I swear I read somewhere Telltale was hiring a professional puzzle expert to fashion better ones for the sequel.
If they did, they should fire him.
I finished Puzzle Agent 2 this morning, and was really really disappointed with it.
The puzzles are no good, and a puzzle game with bad puzzles is a waste of time
Many were rehashed from Puzzle Agent 1, none of them impressed me as being clever, and in some cases
Really? Expecting people to know the 7th and 8th digits of Pi ?
the puzzles are outright unfair.
Hopefully Doctor Lautrec will do a better job of filling my puzzle fix between Layton games.

derFeef

So I bought this but have not played PA1. Luckily the Steam package contained both games - should I go through 1? I am very intrigues by the PA2 quicklook but it looks like the story of the first game is actually important.

kadotsu

Banned
derFeef said:
So I bought this but have not played PA1. Luckily the Steam package contained both games - should I go through 1? I am very intrigues by the PA2 quicklook but it looks like the story of the first game is actually important.

Yes, start with 1. The story of the first game is fun and sets up the second game nicely. A few jokes in the second game reference the first game, too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Interactive Fiction said:
I enjoyed the first Puzzle Agent for the same reasons most of you did: great voice acting, interesting locations, and the quirky storyline. The puzzles were not up to Layton standards, but I swear I read somewhere Telltale was hiring a professional puzzle expert to fashion better ones for the sequel.
If they did, they should fire him.
I finished Puzzle Agent 2 this morning, and was really really disappointed with it.
The puzzles are no good, and a puzzle game with bad puzzles is a waste of time
Many were rehashed from Puzzle Agent 1, none of the impressed me as being clever, and in some cases
Really? Expecting people to know the 7th and 8th digits of Pi ?
the puzzles are outright unfair.
Hopefully Doctor Lautrec will do a better job of filling my puzzle fix between Layton games.
Yeah, the PI shit was just ridiculous. There are so many cases of puzzle solutions being related to odd systems that aren't referenced ANYWHERE in the description or on the art. It's really, really disappointing. I expect better from Telltale.

BiggNife

derFeef said:
Definitely play 1 first. PA2 refers to a bunch of important events from the first game without going into detail about them, so you'll be lost if you haven't played the original first. PA 1 and 2 are very much two halves of the same story.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I enjoyed this for what it was, and certainly felt like it was money well spent.

But fuck those bonus puzzles, no thanks!

sixghost

I guess at this point I'm just echoing the sentiment already expressed in this thread, but I really did not enjoy this as much as the first.

I'm really torn in some ways, because as much as I was glad that Scoggins was the setting for PA2, it really didn't have to same kind of impact as it did in the original. So much of the charm of the first game was Nelson discovering the town and meeting the people. Same with the Hidden People, the original game had an incredibly creepy atmosphere when it wanted to, but there wasn't really much of that at all in 2(which is unfortunate, since that was one of my favorite things about the original).

I was pretty disappointed by how similar the puzzles were to the first game. I thought I had read that they brought someone in to completely revamp the puzzles, yet it seemed like 90% of the puzzles in the game were new versions of puzzles from PA1. The
PI puzzle and the binary coin puzzle
were ridiculous.

Maybe I'll come around on the story in this game, but right now it just seemed like a mess at the end. I think they sort of went overboard in explaining the loose ends from the first game, and created a whole 'nother batch of less interesting loose ends in the process. I have so many questions about the end of the game, but not in the same way as the end of the first. I'm just kind of confused about the actual events of the closing 3-4 minutes, not interested in a bigger mystery like the first.

It seemed like they were pointing at a different location in for the 3rd game, if that ever gets made, which would probably be a good thing, since I don't know if a 3rd game set in Scoggins would be a good idea.

Guess I'll buy it when it's on sale. I bought the first game only just now for 3 bucks (even though I planned to buy it on release back then) and was pretty disappointed with it. The atmosphere, the crude art style and voice acting were pretty solid to say the least, but the puzzles were just bad. They were either too obvious or too cryptic. Understanding the rules was sometimes more of a challenge then the puzzle itself and every other puzzle was a duplicate without a new twist. I don't think there were even a handful of puzzles that were genuinely clever or at least made me feel clever when I solved them.
I'm still pretty interested in the story (even though the sudden cliffhanger was not well implemented) and especially the Hidden People stuff, so I will eventually buy PA2, but the impressions here don't make very excited. It's certainly no Layton. :I

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Well, why did I buy this?

The first part disappointed me, primarily because of the weak and regurgitated puzzles, but I kind of assumed that they would be improved this time, as it was its greatest failing. But what I find here are puzzles that are arguably worse and the incredibly slow conversations bore me to death, so there is basically nothing to enjoy here. It's kind of sad that a game called "puzzle agent" fails in giving the player interesting puzzles. And the rules are still not presented on the same screen for maximum inconvenience.

This is my punishment for making wrong assumptions and refusing to read up on impressions before buying it. If you weren't blown away by the first episode then expect to find even less enjoyment here.

Ledsen

Was going to ask if they improved the puzzles and opaque rule descriptions from the first one, because I loved the art style and story and was hoping for an improvement. Left without having to ask :(

Just bought the first one cheap on steam, going to try it after dinner. The quick look of PA2 pretty much sold me on the series.

It did occur to me after getting TF2 that if I can run that, steam has a shitload of great games my little laptop can still play. Nice to be playing some PC games again.

Salsa

ibF9oO.PNG

best way to end the sales :D

Splatt

Just finished the game today.

I was dissapointed that most of the puzzles revolved around moving shit in a room or arranging a path to get to someone. Got old really fast. There were also some obscure puzzles, like the Pi one. The quality of the puzzles is nowhere near a Laytong game.

Story started out nice, Tethers is a very likable character and works well as a lead. The creepy atmosphere of the 1st part seemed to be intact at the beggining of the game, but the more I progressed the more it began to disappear. Story devolved into some saturday morning cartoon nonsense, and all of the creepiness slowly faded away. When the abrupt ending rolled in, I was left with a bitter sense of dissapointment that kept telling me "Why did I waste 4 hours playing this?".

Overall, it feels very rushed. Both in puzzle and story department. I enjoyed the characters and the weirdness of the story, but I'd rather see Telltale focus on Sam & Max, ToMi... etc, rather than see Puzzle Agent get a full season.

Moobabe

Splatt said:
Just finished the game today.

Story started out nice, Tethers is a very likable character and works well as a lead. The creepy atmosphere of the 1st part seemed to be intact at the beggining of the game, but the more I progressed the more it began to disappear. Story devolved into some saturday morning cartoon nonsense, and all of the creepiness slowly faded away. When the abrupt ending rolled in, I was left with a bitter sense of dissapointment that kept telling me "Why did I waste 4 hours playing this?".

Overall, it feels very rushed. Both in puzzle and story department. I enjoyed the characters and the weirdness of the story, but I'd rather see Telltale focus on Sam & Max, ToMi... etc, rather than see Puzzle Agent get a full season.

That's how I felt. So disappointed in the second game. I loved the Twin Peaks vibe of the first and it continued at the start of the second - it was creepy and it was eerie. However it just became nonsense, as you say.

I'd like to see a Puzzle Agent 3 though - but they'd have to seriously address some of the issues. The puzzles I can suffer through - but the story has to be good enough to keep me going.
At least they're leaving Scoggins behind if the 'cliffhanger' at the end is anything to go by.

xXJonoXx

I just took notice of this series after the Giant Bomb Quick Look of 2. I hear some complaints of Part 2, is 1 a better game? Which platform is the best to play it on, PC or iPhone?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
xXJonoXx said:
I just took notice of this series after the Giant Bomb Quick Look of 2. I hear some complaints of Part 2, is 1 a better game? Which platform is the best to play it on, PC or iPhone?
PC. The iPhone port of Puzzle Agent 1 is dreadful.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just finished this tonight. Few things to state, some overlapping comments for sure.

I thought the first half or so was better than the last half.
Meeting Korga, the astronauts in the woods, milkshake.
There were parts that had me laughing aloud. However, the ending did feel supremely rushed and not much explanation went on. While that's fine up to a point, it's why I liked PA1 so much, here it just didn't work well for me.
I want more information from everything. Having just the vacation postcard from Bermuda is fine, I enjoyed that. But leaving so many things unsettled like the missing persons, the skier, Korga, the yeti, Tethers' boss, the little people...

There were some tense moments with the music and scenes but ultimately that faded towards the end, shame.

Oh and yes, the puzzles were probably worse in this one. Ridiculous when I have to use hints just to understand how it's a puzzle and not just a random set of images/numbers.

All that said, I still enjoyed being back in that atmosphere and story and hope there's a third. I think I'm going to buy the Book of Grickle, love the quirkiness.

SalsaShark said:
wait is this that bad?

NO CREEPY FARGO SHIT?

WHAT IS THIS ;_;

For me it falls apart in the last few hours. It takes way to many logical jumps that don't feel justified at all. The big plot reveal is terrible and the ending feels way to rushed.

Overall it just made me love Puzzle Agent 1 that much more, and not care that much more about the future of the series.

Salsa

Just finished. Gotta agree with what's been said here.

Not as good as the first, the puzzles have a more persistent issue of some of them being way too easy and others hard to comprehend. The story feels a bit rushed and takes away some of the "creepyness" and goes more over the top, but i liked it for what it is.

Bottom line, not as good as the first, but i still liked it very much. Also,
Puzzle Agent 3 in Bermuda!

sixghost

SalsaShark said:
Bottom line, not as good as the first, but i still liked it very much. Also,
Puzzle Agent 3 in Bermuda!
I'm definitely going to miss the upper-midwest accents. It makes people sound so pleasant.

inky

Sorry to bump with no new news or anything. Just finished this. Man, talk about underwhelming ending. I agree with the complaints on the quality of the puzzles as well. The story felt too disjointed and left quite a few threads hanging.

Also
did I miss something or why didn't the agents try to stop you in the end? Was there ever an explanation for that? I mean, your boss warns you a lot about not "interfering" but in the end it is what you do and no consequences at all? I don't get it. Also, sure, LOL at the Yeti deus ex machina shit sure, but, is that it? suddenly everything goes back to "normal"...

I liked the first game and, if anything, I'm still looking forward to a next one. But PA2 really lost something in the way.

woxel1

Just finished the game, and count me in with the ranks of the disappointed. I was a big fan of the first game
enough to dress up as a Hidden Person last Halloween
and this experience just felt like a sizable step backwards in difficulty, characterization, and charm.

Sam and Max S3 and the original Puzzle Agent were some of my gaming high points of last summer. How much has changed in a year! I hope with so many licensed properties on their plate Telltale isn't being overstretched. Long story short, I'd rather wait on a more polished experience then see a buggy mediocre one rushed to market.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Just finished PA2 myself. The story probably wasn't quite as good as the first, but I still enjoyed the game a lot all around. I honestly never really cared about the puzzles, I played these games for the entertaining story. The biggest strength was really the characters and they weren't around as much in the 2nd game which is how it fell short a bit. The voice acting is just incredible. Every time the Sheriff opens his mouth I laugh.

Top Bottom