• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Python strangles 2-year-old girl . . . G, A, or F?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you probably got it right.
--------------------------------------------------------
OXFORD, Fla. – A pet Burmese python measuring more than 8 feet long broke out of a terrarium and strangled a 2-year-old girl in her bedroom Wednesday at a central Florida home, authorities said. Shaiunna Hare was already dead when paramedics arrived at about 10 a.m., Lt. Bobby Caruthers of the Sumter County Sheriff's Office said.

Charles Jason Darnell, the snake's owner and the boyfriend of Shaiunna's mother, discovered the snake missing from its terrarium and went to the girl's room, where he found it on the girl and bite marks on her head, Caruthers said. Darnell, 32, stabbed the snake until he was able to pry the child away.

"The baby's dead!" a sobbing caller from the house screamed to a 911 dispatcher in a recording. "Our stupid snake got out in the middle of the night and strangled the baby."

Authorities did not identify the caller and removed the person's name from the recording.

"She got out of the cage last night and got into the baby's crib and strangled her to death," the caller said.

Authorities removed the snake from the home Wednesday afternoon after obtaining a search warrant. Once outside the small, tan home, bordered by cow pastures, the snake was placed in a bag then inside a dog crate. The snake was still alive.

Darnell did not have a permit for the snake, which would be a second-degree misdemeanor, said Joy Hill, a spokeswoman with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. He has not been charged, but Caruthers said investigators were looking into whether there was child neglect or if any other laws were broken.

Hill said the snake will be placed with someone who has a permit, pending an investigation into the girl's death.

The Humane Society of the United States said including Wednesday's death, at least 12 people have been killed in the U.S. by pet pythons since 1980, including five children.

Burmese pythons are not native to Florida, but they easily survive in the state and can reach a length of 26 feet and weigh more than 200 pounds.

Some owners have freed pythons into the wild and a population of them has taken hold in the Everglades. One killed an alligator and then burst when it tried to eat it. Scientists also speculate a bevy of Burmese pythons escaped in 1992 from pet shops battered by Hurricane Andrew and have been reproducing since.

"It's becoming more and more of a problem, perhaps no fault of the animal, more a fault of the human," said Jorge Pino, a state wildlife commission spokesman. "People purchase these animals when they're small. When they grow, they either can't control them or release them."

George Van Horn, owner of Reptile World Serpentarium in St. Cloud, said the strangulation could have occurred because the snake felt threatened or because it thought the child was food.

"They are always operating on instinct," he said. "Even the largest person can become overpowered by a python."

Oxford is about 50 miles northwest of Orlando.
====================

Fucking horrible.

Legal Tip: there is strict liability if you own a nontraditional pet which causes problems (only negligence for dogs & cats).

heard burmese pythons are a pretty big problem in the florida wilderness. that scares the shit out of me

Door2Dawn said:
Who the hell gets a fucking 8 foot long python as a pet?

heee heee heeeee ;_;

2988016.jpg

Tobor

Tyrone Slothrop said:
heard burmese pythons are a pretty big problem in the florida wilderness. that scares the shit out of me

Just what the Florida wilderness needed. More deadly animals.

539w.jpg

Law enforcement officials remove a Burmese python, measuring more than 8 feet long, from the home where it killed 2-year-old Shaunnia Hare in Oxford, Fla. on Wednesday morning, July 1, 2009. The Sumter County Sheriff's Office said Charles Jason Darnell, the snake's owner and the boyfriend of Shaunnia's mother, discovered the snake missing from its aquarium and went to the girl's room, where he found it on the girl and bite marks on her head. Darnell, 32, stabbed the snake until he was able to pry the child away. (AP Photo/St. Petersburg Times, Will Vragovic)​
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2009/07/01/officials_python_apparently_strangled_toddler/

DanteFox

2 Minutes Turkish said:
what a way for a child to go.

horrible to think about.
dang. I hadn't actually thought about it, but thanks to your post, now I did. :(
A terrible thing to imagine.

btkadams

speculawyer said:
539w.jpg

Law enforcement officials remove a Burmese python, measuring more than 8 feet long, from the home where it killed 2-year-old Shaunnia Hare in Oxford, Fla. on Wednesday morning, July 1, 2009. The Sumter County Sheriff's Office said Charles Jason Darnell, the snake's owner and the boyfriend of Shaunnia's mother, discovered the snake missing from its aquarium and went to the girl's room, where he found it on the girl and bite marks on her head. Darnell, 32, stabbed the snake until he was able to pry the child away. (AP Photo/St. Petersburg Times, Will Vragovic)​
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2009/07/01/officials_python_apparently_strangled_toddler/
even though the parents are fucking idiots, i gotta say its pretty brave of him to attack a python.

btkadams said:
even though the parents are fucking idiots, i gotta say its pretty brave of him to attack a python.
Wat? Not much bravery when you have a knife. All a python does is squeeze you until you are dead. If you have a knife, you win.

btkadams

speculawyer said:
Wat? Not much bravery when you have a knife. All a python does is squeeze you until you are dead. If you have a knife, you win.
i still think it would take balls to fight a python with a knife. they bite too geez.

nyong

Banned
Why the hell is a 200 pound constrictor a legal pet in the first place? And I realize this particular one is not quite that big. I'm referring to that link.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
ultim8p00 said:
Who the fuck gets a python for a pet? 'the fuck is wrong with you? Some people are just so retarded.

Same kind of folks who owns large scorpions, tarantulas, raccoons, skunks, and other exotic pets.

They're fascinating to watch when they're eating, moving, and interacting with their einvironment. I'd just never want one as a pet. This story is one of the reasons why. The owner is going to be in a lot of trouble for this. He'll be very lucky if he doesn't do jail time...

Lao

Neo Member
Geeez, thats still small for a burmese too =/. Imagine the damage when its bigger, just a careless owner that couldn't keep his pet in its terrarium. my 7 foot python has a lock on its tank.

mr jones said:
Same kind of folks who owns large scorpions, tarantulas, raccoons, skunks, and other exotic pets.

They're fascinating to watch when they're eating, moving, and interacting with their einvironment. I'd just never want one as a pet. This story is one of the reasons why. The owner is going to be in a lot of trouble for this. He'll be very lucky if he doesn't do jail time...
Yeah . . . I have a membership with the San Francisco Zoo. I can see all sorts of funky animals just about any day of the year. And the membership is far cheaper than feeding just about any of those animals.

I love the petting zoo part. :D

Xenon

this story gave me chills, that poor kid.

Why does this shit like this always seem to happen with the mother's "boyfriend"? Who knows the dude may have put the snake in there to kill her.

Coins

Banned
Pythons are great pets. You should not own one unless you provide it an escape proof enclosure. Once a Burm gets that big it should only come out of its large enclosure in the presence of two adults. I also question if it was fed properly because they only seek out food when hungry. I can put a rat in my python's cages right now and they wont kill it because they just ate rats yesterday. You can own a large snake responsibly and it sounds like these folks werent being responsible.

Atrus

Gold Member
Seems like a convenient way to purposely kill someone, though I'm not suggesting that happened in this instance.

Just get a lethal animal, toss it on them, and claim it slipped out of it's enclosure.

Ferrio

Banned
ultim8p00 said:
Who the fuck gets a python for a pet? 'the fuck is wrong with you? Some people are just so retarded.

Uh me?

You guys act like people don't keep snakes as pets.

"Oh, but I'm cool. I have a snake." Please. The only cool snakes are Liquid, Solid, and Naked. I fucking abhor people that keep these kinda dangerous animals as pets. Darwin award winners waiting to happen.

Coins

Banned
Strike said:
Fucking idiots. What do you think is going to happen? It's a wild animal.

Hundreds of thousands of people own that exact type of snake and dont have this happen to them.

ltse1

Deeply saddens me. If you want the luxury of having a dangerous animal, make sure you are responsible enough so no one gets hurt.

Pet Store Owner: "You sure you can handle taking care of this pet? Be careful."
Dumbass: "Yeah come on, I'm an ADULT."

Just like people eating/doing makeup/talking on cellphones in their cars...sure I do it sometimes, but I have my priorities straight. I never drift from my lane, never speed, and always watch the brakes light of the car ahead of me so I don't rear end anyone. I put focus on watching the road first because I know how deadly a car is and I could be a murderer in an instant.

Strike

Coins said:
Hundreds of thousands of people own that exact type of snake and don't have this happen to them.
How many of them are dumb enough to leave them around kids? I'm not saying that they're aren't responsible pet owners out there, but it really gets annoying when every once in a while a story gets out about how someone or their kid end getting hurt or killed because they tried to keep potentially dangerous exotic animals in their homes without making the proper accommodations for them. Then they act surprised as if they forgot that the animals weren't meant to be domesticated in the first place. There needs to be more restrictions made on this sort of thing.

Kusagari

I keep reading the title as 'Peyton strangles 2-year-old girl'. I think Peyton Manning strangling a 2 year old girl would have been a much more interesting story, I have to say.

Coins

Banned
Strike said:
How many of them are dumb enough to leave them around kids? I'm not saying that they're aren't responsible pet owners out there, but it really gets annoying when every once in a while a story gets out about how someone or their kid end getting hurt or killed because they tried to keep potentially dangerous exotic animals in their homes without making the proper accommodations for them. Then they act surprised as if they forgot that the animals weren't meant to be domesticated in the first place. There needs to be more restrictions made on this sort of thing.

Read my post guy. I said as much.

crispyben

speculawyer said:
Burmese pythons are not native to Florida, but they easily survive in the state and can reach a length of 26 feet and weigh more than 200 pounds.

Some owners have freed pythons into the wild and a population of them has taken hold in the Everglades. One killed an alligator and then burst when it tried to eat it. Scientists also speculate a bevy of Burmese pythons escaped in 1992 from pet shops battered by Hurricane Andrew and have been reproducing since.

snake_v_alligator.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sterilization of pythons brought overseas should be mandatory. Rather, they should have been, before fuckwits decided that releasing an alien predator upon a vulnerable ecosystem was a grand idea.

While normally I think suicide is the weakest thing possible, I don't think there'd be any other option if this happened to my future theoretical child and it was my fault.

How exactly do you live with the fact that your retarded penchant for an exotic monster pet escaped and murdered your baby kid? Can't even imagine the primal fear that baby must have felt.

never underestimated the senses of animals such as a dog's sense of smell or a snake's sensory forked toungue.
Python snakes have a forked tongue with sensors that can detect the odor from prey. The sensor organ is called the Jacobsen organ. They also have a set of organs capable of sensing heat from warm blooded animals such as small rodents.
having a tiny baby + a python in the same household = super stupid.

flsh

Banned
I am really afraid of snakes and this is exactly why :(

My father thought it was cute to show me Anaconda when I was young (9) and I'm scarred ever since. This animal is the closest thing to a proof Satan exists :( People who own snakes freak me out.

ultim8p00

Banned
Owning a snake is not that bad I guess, though I would never own one. Just...why a python? A fucking python? Those things are huge and you have to kill big animals to feed them. What are you thinking? It will never grow up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom