• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Python strangles 2-year-old girl . . . G, A, or F?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daw840

LOL at some of the arguments in here. Sounds a lot like the gun threads. BAH, THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF RESPONSIBLE SNAKE OWNERS.

Instigator said:
Probably self defense on the part of the snake. Babies are dangerous.

2ci89yf.jpg

a3fhhf.jpg

1jt1g3.jpg

NOM NOM NOM

^holy shit

There was an article in the New Yorker recently about this infestation in Florida of pythons. They're native now. These pythons managed to survive and multiply, because people let them go when they get too big to be kept as a pet, and also because of several hurricanes that set them free.

Link1110

Ohh, you mean a python, as in the animal. I thought you meant "one of the pythons," as in a member of Monty Python.

Coins

Banned
Carlisle said:
WTF am I looking at? Can someone draw a diagram around what's what or something?

For one that is not the type of snake that killed the baby. The snake pictured is a reticulated python, not a burmese python. The reticulated python is the world's longest snake but stays relatively slim in comparison to the burmese and anaconda. They are not known to attack humans often as they usually do so only in self defense. A restrictor snake only likes to attack what it can swallow. Again, if you have a baby, its not a good idea to keep a large sized restrictor if you are an amateur handler.

As for the pic, its a retic that decided to eat an alligator. I doubt a retic would attack an alligator first so Im assuming the alligator attacked the snake first and the snake acted in self-defense. Once a restrictor attacks, its feeding instinct can take over and it ate the alligator. Sharp plated meals are not usually on the menu for a retic. It looks to me like part of the alligator ruptured the snake and cause the snake to rip.

bengraven

Carlisle said:
WTF am I looking at? Can someone draw a diagram around what's what or something?

It's a gigantic fucking snake that ate an alligator that burst through it's stomach. In the Everglades...in the USA...a few hours south of me...

*eyes his 1 year old son and shivers*

I love the hysteria in this thread. Like it is somehow weird or irresponsible to own an 8 foot snake. I have known plenty of people who have owned larger snakes with no repercussions. If you even read the article it states there have only been 12 fatalities in the past 30 years and 5 of those being children. I don't find that to be a very alarming statistic considering all the other freakish ways there are to die. I wouldn't even consider getting rid of the snake to be minimizing a risk because at that rate there really isn't a quantifiable risk. Horrible story if true, but it could have easily been about a million other things.

Coins

Banned
BigGreenMat said:
I love the hysteria in this thread. Like it is somehow weird or irresponsible to own an 8 foot snake. I have known plenty of people who have owned larger snakes with no repercussions. If you even read the article it states there have only been 12 fatalities in the past 30 years and 5 of those being children. I don't find that to be a very alarming statistic considering all the other freakish ways there are to die. I wouldn't even consider getting rid of the snake to be minimizing a risk because at that rate there really isn't a quantifiable risk. Horrible story if true, but it could have easily been about a million other things.

I agree. Dogs are a lot more dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom