• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question for people who regularly build PCs

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I am a pretty skilled PC builder and gamer, but I have a new issue and it's difficult to troubleshoot what might be causing it. One new issue and one old issue that started after I upgraded my RAM and GPU (came first)

Original build
MB: Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 3
RAM: 16GB EVGA RAM 3000 (Microcenter exclusive. Not sold anymore. Worked really well on my old Ryzen build. I believe it was rebadged GSkill RAM)
CPU: Intel i7 8700K
VC: Asus Geforce 1070
PSU: 850W Corsair PSU
Samsung M2 SSD as my main drive

New build:
MB: same
RAM: 16GB Corsair 3200 RGB see here
CPU: same
VC: EVGA 2080 see here
PSU: 850W EVGA Gold
Not being overclocked

Issue that has always existed: the USB port that my mouse is connected to doesn't always initialize when booting up. The USB port I use is the one at the top of backplate of the mobo that has the keyboad/mouse pic next to the old PS/2 port that for some reason still gets put on mobos. This is usually fixed by unplugging and replugging. Not a big deal, but one I'd like to see go away.

New issues that is frustrating the fuck out of me. As you can see my GPU, RAM and PSU were recently upgraded with my GPU getting upgraded first. Note that when I replaced the GPU, eventhough both came from nvidia, I did a complete driver uninstall using Display Driver Uninstaller so it would be completely clean install. While its a noticeable improvement over my Geforce 1070 in terms of performance, it has one issue: when the monitor goes to sleep it takes much much longer for the screen to return. Sometimes it will not return and I simply have to reset the system. Very annoying. I checked the power settings and my screen is set to 10 minutes to turn off and my computer is set to NEVER for sleep like it was for my 1070. I can't remember if the issue was this bad before I installed the RAM. I do not know if this started before of after installing new RAM. I should note that the RAM is not explicitly listed on Gigabytes compatible RAM for my mobo (or any of their Z390 mobos), but I can run it just fine in XMP mode and that really shouldn't be an issue. Not the new PSU since it was doing it before and still after.

Motherboard has the newest BIOS.

Just curious what settings (BIOS or windows), tests should I be running? Is there a BIOS tweak to look at? Might I have a bad mobo and need to replace it? The one thing I haven't tried and plan to do in the next week or two is completely wipe my M2 SSD and reinstall windows and everything from scratch.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Shotpun

Thoughts? Suggestions?

For the USB issue, you sure it's the USB port and not the mouse connected to it causing the problem? Because increasing the polling rate from the default of 125Hz can cause the mouse not waking up for some reason on some systems. Some mouse drivers also set it higher than 125Hz by default these days I believe. Try setting it to 125Hz if it's set to higher and see does that help.

Can't help with the second issue, perhaps some weird quirk in the GPU firmware that might get fixed with an updated bios?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For the USB issue, you sure it's the USB port and not the mouse connected to it causing the problem? Because increasing the polling rate from the default of 125Hz can cause the mouse not waking up for some reason on some systems. Some mouse drivers also set it higher than 125Hz by default these days I believe. Try setting it to 125Hz if it's set to higher and see does that help.
I have NEVER heard of this. How do I change it? I have a corsair gaming mouse FYI.

Shotpun

I have NEVER heard of this. How do I change it? I have a corsair gaming mouse FYI.

Somewhere in corsair's mouse software or it might have a physical switch under the mouse. If you haven't installed any software for your mouse and don't have a control panel for it in taskbar, I guess it's possible Windows 10 has installed some driver from windows update that doesn't come with a control panel.

PhoenixTank

when the monitor goes to sleep it takes much much longer for the screen to return. Sometimes it will not return and I simply have to reset the system. Very annoying. I checked the power settings and my screen is set to 10 minutes to turn off and my computer is set to NEVER for sleep like it was for my 1070. I can't remember if the issue was this bad before I installed the RAM. I do not know if this started before of after installing new RAM.
Various shots in the dark from least to most hassle:
  • Newer drivers are meant to fix a black screen issue with the 20XX series. Not sure if the same type as you've mentioned nor what your current driver version is but worth a shot. I don't know when you did your clean driver reinstall either.
  • Try a different cable. Swapping between HDMI and DisplayPort might make a difference or at least narrow down the problem.
  • Reach out to EVGA support. It'd help if you can rule out the rest of your system upgrades, by running the 1070 and seeing if it also exhibits the same issues with the rest of the machine or continues to work as well as you remember. If the new card is at fault, RMA is the name of the game here.
A lot of this depends on how consistent this issue is. If there is something or some set of circumstances that trigger it, or if it is intermittent and a pain in the ass to track down.

xwez

Banned
My monitor was going into "deep sleep" and would not turn back on unless I reset the computer like you. I think I fixed it with settings in the bios, but it could have also been on screen display settings from the monitor itself. Can't quite remember. I do remember messing around with some settings in bios though, relating to power delivery to the USB ports I think it was.

Eventually I did a fresh install of windows on this computer (unrelated to this issue) though and everything was fine and dandy.

I dunno if it had to do with upgrading my gpu, but again I seemed to be facing some of the same issues as you.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My monitor was going into "deep sleep" and would not turn back on unless I reset the computer like you. I think I fixed it with settings in the bios, but it could have also been on screen display settings from the monitor itself. Can't quite remember. I do remember messing around with some settings in bios though, relating to power delivery to the USB ports I think it was.

Eventually I did a fresh install of windows on this computer (unrelated to this issue) though and everything was fine and dandy.

I dunno if it had to do with upgrading my gpu, but again I seemed to be facing some of the same issues as you.
Yeah, I recently updated the firmware on my motherboard and I am not 100% certain if all settings returned.

I am going to completely wipe out everything sometime around christmas and start from scratch. In my experience I have always found BIOS updates to be the best time wipe your computer.

Also, I do have power to USB turned off so that my PC LEDs wont be on while I am trying to sleep. Perhaps that could explain some things.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I dont built PC gaming

Why don't you just buy a new one from stores?

Not that I'm incapable to learn and built my own I just want everything set and ready for me

Buying a PC is not that expensive to me

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Because he wants to choose his own parts from wherever he wants rather than limit himself to the preset desktop choices (or a single store's selection as they may also offer to build it for you in that case). This way you not only get exactly what you want but also maximize the value you get for the money spent as you can get each part from wherever it's cheapest. Plus you can do a better job yourself with cable management and everything else rather than a bored out of his mind employee who doesn't know how you like it nor would accept for you to stand beside him and direct him on how to build it, lol. And the small issues he has wouldn't necessarily not also be found if he bought a prebuilt PC or had someone else build it for him, especially the issue on waking up.

OP, is it possible your monitor is failing? I had similar issues and kept thinking it's the cables at first, then worried about my GPU and what not as one of the side effects was games that changed display mode in a very specific way got all garbled colors until I turned it on and off (and then garbled colors might have occurred on quitting the game, lol) but nope, my LG monitor was dying. I got the whole PSU part of it replaced since it was a cheap repair and it works now, rarely it might go to deep sleep like yours if left alone for a long time and the menus are all glitchy looking though so I really need to save for a new one, haha...

Last edited:

Morinaga

I'm willing to bet that the screen issue is a driver bug for the GPU. Maybe try installing updated drivers for the monitor, or even uninstalling them and use the default windows drivers.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I forgot to mention that I have two monitors connected and both come on at the same time. Making the likelihood its a monitor unlikely.

However, one thing I discovered on the EVGA forums could be the M2 drivers from Samsung that I am using for my M2 drives. Supposedly those drives dont play well with the latest Windows 10 version (1809) which was updated AFTER I installed the 2080. Ill try to uninstall those and see what happens.

Of course I still plan to wipe the drives clean and do a reinstall anyway, so I may just wait.

Sky87

Which monitor are you using? My monitor has a Deep Sleep feature (Acer Predator XB271HU) that can be disabled through the OST on the monitor itself. Try that and see it it's better.

Also does your monitor wake if you turn it off and on again?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Another question:
As part of the static pressure vs air flow fan debates, I gather that airflow fans are best for exhaust as long as the exhaust is not being pushed through a radiator.

Thoughts? I ordered 3 of these Noctua Redux fans to serve as my exhaust fans as from what I gather is that they can serve both functions just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KF7O58G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

EDIT: cancelled the fans. They are better for radiators. Ill just keep looking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom