• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick question about your PS2

Ranger X

Ok i've noticed that since i have the modem plugged into my PS2, if i tap the reset button it put itself in sleep mode instead of reseting. Is this normal? (i can't reset it anymore, just sleep, not sleep or power on/off)

Another thing: For those who are playing games that use Gamepsy, do you get disconnected from time to time for no apparent reasons?

tks.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
You just have to be really light with pressing the button, but I've noticed the same thing since putting my HDD in too. I thought the same at first, but I have managed to reset the machine a few times now. It just takes some amount of finesse, for whatever reason.

But yeah it does seem like if you hold the button down for >0.5 seconds, it'll go red.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I have the HDD installed but don't seem to have this issue (SCH3001 model.)

I don't mean to derail this thread, but instead of starting a new one, I figured I'd pose the question here.

Recently, I've had a hard time booting up Wizardry - Tale of the Forsaken City on the PS2. It's a blue-back CD game, and I've never had problems loading these or PSOne CD games before. Now, when I stick it in, I got some load shuffling noises, and generally drops out into a Cannot Read Disc Error. It does load up perhaps one in 10 attempts, but it seems to be failing more often now. There are no scratches or marks on the disc, and I've recently purchased a cleaning kit and cleaned both this disc and the PS2 itself.

Now, I also picked up a second copy of the game, stuck it in just now, and am getting the exact same problem. Just for kicks, I tried throwing in a DVD movie (Star Wars - ESB), a DVD game (Shadow Hearts 2), a different blue back CD game (Gradius V), and a PSOne game (Dragon Warrior VII) and had absolutely no issues in booting them up. But both of my copies of Wizardry are causing problems.

Any ideas?

Mejilan said:
I have the HDD installed but don't seem to have this issue (SCH3001 model.)

I don't mean to derail this thread, but instead of starting a new one, I figured I'd pose the question here.

Recently, I've had a hard time booting up Wizardry - Tale of the Forsaken City on the PS2. It's a blue-back CD game, and I've never had problems loading these or PSOne CD games before. Now, when I stick it in, I got some load shuffling noises, and generally drops out into a Cannot Read Disc Error. It does load up perhaps one in 10 attempts, but it seems to be failing more often now. There are no scratches or marks on the disc, and I've recently purchased a cleaning kit and cleaned both this disc and the PS2 itself.

Now, I also picked up a second copy of the game, stuck it in just now, and am getting the exact same problem. Just for kicks, I tried throwing in a DVD movie (Star Wars - ESB), a DVD game (Shadow Hearts 2), a different blue back CD game (Gradius V), and a PSOne game (Dragon Warrior VII) and had absolutely no issues in booting them up. But both of my copies of Wizardry are causing problems.

Any ideas?

1) Call Sony.

2) Bitch.

3) If you're in NA, get it fixed for free, minus shipping.

As consolation, it might take a good amount of time before it stops reading other CD-based PS2 games and then longer to stop reading DVDs altogether.

But pretty much, when a PS2 not reading a CD-based game (even if it's only THAT game) is usually a "sign" your PS2 is on its way out.

Gattsu25

Banned
From what i've seen and experienced: Once you USE the modem, you cannot reset. if you hit the reset button the system turns off. Nothing bad ever happened and my system never blew up.

gamespy sucks

PC or Consoles

gamespy sucks

EDIT: when I say turn off i mean sleep mode. no one in their right fucking mind should be flipping the switch in the back of the system instead of just holding the power button for a second (the same thing as unplugging a TV opposed to pressing the power button)

Mejilan

Well, I'm going to call Sony tomorrow and start making arrangements for repairs.

BTW, for me, if it does manage to read the game, then I don't have a problem from there. It's only the initial boot up that fails consistenly. Isn't that odd?

Shompola

Banned
"Ok i've noticed that since i have the modem plugged into my PS2, if i tap the reset button it put itself in sleep mode instead of reseting. Is this normal? (i can't reset it anymore, just sleep, not sleep or power on/off)"

It's true for games that use the modem/NA and it's normal.

Ranger X

Good to hear that everything looks fine.
But i get disconnected while i play from time to time. I'm on a router but i've never had a single connection problem with my network before.
Maybe Gamespy that sucks? (i play TOCA 2 and it uses gamespy)

Hellraizah

Your answer is right at your doorstep, Wyzdom. Why didn't you ask me :p

Just kidding.

Seriously, you CAN reset while having the network adapter installed, just double tap the reset button and voilà !

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mejilan said:
Well, I'm going to call Sony tomorrow and start making arrangements for repairs.

BTW, for me, if it does manage to read the game, then I don't have a problem from there. It's only the initial boot up that fails consistenly. Isn't that odd?

Nope, not odd. That's normal.

Your PS2 is perfectly fine...but unless you are the type that is willing to pop the top off and go to work, there is nothing you can do and it will eventually have trouble reading everything. Either there is too much internal dust OR the lens calibration is off.

Both are super easy to fix...provided you know your way around a PS2 and are comfortable doing it. The newer models are more difficult to work on, however...

On my first system, the MGS2 demo was the first disc that gave me issues. Every other blue disc worked perfectly, but that demo was just not going to work right. However, it would occasionally load and work fine...

Oh, but it got so much worse over time (eventually reading NOTHING). This was prior to learning how to fix them, however...

Dark10x: unfortunately they're temporary fixes at best AND voids your warranty so that Sony won't fix it. (Even if the original warranty is past due.)

In this case it's best to let Sony handle it, and if there's any further fuck ups, he can rightly blame THEM, not them blame him for opening his PS2.

Mejilan

dark10x said:
Nope, not odd. That's normal.

Your PS2 is perfectly fine...but unless you are the type that is willing to pop the top off and go to work, there is nothing you can do and it will eventually have trouble reading everything. Either there is too much internal dust OR the lens calibration is off.

Both are super easy to fix...provided you know your way around a PS2 and are comfortable doing it. The newer models are more difficult to work on, however...

On my first system, the MGS2 demo was the first disc that gave me issues. Every other blue disc worked perfectly, but that demo was just not going to work right. However, it would occasionally load and work fine...

Oh, but it got so much worse over time (eventually reading NOTHING). This was prior to learning how to fix them, however...

This shouldn't be normal, and if my PS2 stops loading a game (9 out of 10 times) that's run fine for the past 2 years, then it isn't fine either. But thanks. :)

Top Bottom