• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick VJ PS2 impressions and a question

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, since everyone and their mother here seems to have played the game, I want bother too much singing praises to it (yes, it absolutely awesome, and you must play it if you didn't :). I'll just say that the conversion is really, really well done. We (there were three of us playing it, the game is almost as much fun to watch as it is to play) have made it to the level 2 so far, and everything feels just flawless - controls, graphics, sound, (no trace of any slowdown so far). Puzzles are so damn perfect - wacky, but they perfectly adhere to game's inner-logic. In that way, it reminds me of Monkey Island games, actually, where you accept puzzles that make no sense in reality, because you just understand the game's world and the way it works. :))

Now for a question - I started the game on 'Kids' level of difficulty which was selected by default. I figured that would be an equivalent to 'Normal' level that I always play first in every game. The game's difficulty seemed pretty fine so far - not too tough, not too easy, but maybe I should have started on 'adult' for better challenge? Does it become tougher as the game progresses? (so far we've made it past the vampire guy and some way into the french town) What exactly IS the difference in the difficulty levels? Do enemies just require more hits to get killed on the adult level, or do puzzles somehow become more difficult to figure out as well?

Another question - is there a soundtrack available anywhere? I really like the song that plays now during the town level - the one where you can hear cars honking, etc.

Grubdog

Banned
Yes, it does get harder, a lot harder. Just keep playing on kids mode, then when you beat it you'll be ready for adults mode. There is nothing in adults mode that isn't in kids mode, its just harder, the bad guys take more hits to kill, you lose more health etc.

welcome to last year

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I'm playing through Adults mode right now and I'm right at "The Viewtiful Escape". Marconelly, the game does get harder after each episode. I hated the enemies in "2,000,000 Leagues Under The Sea". Gah, I wish there was just a code or something to unlock Dante :p

EGM92

Man I don't know what I was smoking but I didn't realize that Kids mode was easy and Adult was hard... I just thought that on adult mode it would have cursing... or at least some vulgar humour lol.. man I was on something. But thus far I love the game, it's so hard it's not even funny.. I died sooo many times during the 3rd stage I swear I was going to cry. Anyways back to the game can't get enough of this side scrolling action!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Thanks for the info guys! I'll just continue with the kids mode for now. I love this game too much right now to start hating it because of the frustrating difficulty :p

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Marconelly, tell me if you get Viewtiful Joe working on the HDLoader. I can get it to load but if you press start to skip the "Clover screen" or wait until the game tries to load the main menu, the game locks up.

Meh. You are supposed to cluelessly play the game on Adults first in order to enjoy the brutal soul draining affair that is Viewtiful Joe. It hurts just thinking of the bosses and the timer and basically all the crap I went through on that first play through... I used to think I was half-way decent at videogames too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Defensor, the game is reported to not work with HDLoader. Everyone has got the same result that you just described :(( No combination of compatibility modes seems to help. I didn't try it personally, though.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Marconelly said:
Defensor, the game is reported to not work with HDLoader. Everyone has got the same result that you just described :(( No combination of compatibility modes seems to help. I didn't try it personally, though.

wariodog.gif

*deletes Viewtiful Schmo from HDLoader*

Mrbob

I don't want to start a new thread sooo...

Is there any difference between the PS2 and GC versions except for Dante? The GC version is 20 bux while the PS2 is 30. Dante is not worth an extra 10 bux to me if that is the only difference.

Grubdog

Banned
Mrbob said:

Is there any difference between the PS2 and GC versions except for Dante? The GC version is 20 bux while the PS2 is 30. Dante is not worth an extra 10 bux to me if that is the only difference.
Get the GC version.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Mrbob said:

The PS2 version isn't quite as clean looking (looks a little pixalated and grainy while zoomed in), plus there some slowdown. The visual differences aren't much, but they are there.

The PS2 version as new wuss mode(Sweet), that wasn't in the US GCN game (it was in the japanese re-release. It's easier than the Kids mode. Personally, if you can't beat Kids, you shouldn't be playing it... you just suck.

Everything is laid out about the same.

cvxfreak

Anyone have pictures of the disc work? One advantage PS2 games always had over GC was disc art, while the GC beat the pants off the PS2 with a better instruction manual.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS2 instruction manual is only B&W, except for the covers which are color. I know that the GC manual was all in color.

Disc looks really nice, though. It's pinkish color with VJ logo on the top area. Simple but very nice.

Carm

What did they put in place of R.O.B. the robot in the background of the last level? What tune does Joe whistle while just standing idle?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Galanthas said:
What did they put in place of R.O.B. the robot in the background of the last level? What tune does Joe whistle while just standing idle?
Doesn't he whistle while he's kicking around a V-bomb (I forget the name).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Socreges said:
Kids = Easy
Adults = Hard

Nah

Kids = Weaksauce
Adults = Normal
V-Rated = Hard

I also heard they added an "Easy" mode too? Consider that weaksauce x 5

Socreges

Banned
Wario64 said:
Nah

Kids = Weaksauce
Adults = Normal
V-Rated = Hard

I also heard they added an "Easy" mode too? Consider that weaksauce x 5
Adult would be the equivalent of Hard in any other game. Using MGS as a staple...

Kids = Easy
Adults = Hard
V-Rated = Extreme
Wario64 = Douche

ourumov

Another question - is there a soundtrack available anywhere? I really like the song that plays now during the town level - the one where you can hear cars honking, etc.
I have a rip of the song somewhere...

Nice impressions Marconelly.

Top Bottom