• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radical Streamers - Hang With Us and Watch Us Play on Justin.tv!

Uncle AJ

radicalstreamers-forum-banner.png

Wallpaper!
1024x768 - 1680x1050 - 1920x1080 (More sizes available upon request)

We're just some friends who got into the habit of streaming whatever we play (whenever possible), so consider this an invitation to come hang with us! You don't have to know how to stream - half the people in the group don't. Just come chill out. We've played a pretty wide variety of games so far - shooters, RPGs, strategy, platformer, music/rhythm - so hopefully someone will be streaming something that interests you.

I'll update this thread with who is playing what at the time, but please join the Steam Group if you want to get announcements about future games, or anything in general we plan on doing in the future.

Click on the names of the streamers to go to their respective justin.tv channels.

Last Updated on 4/19/11
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bulleta
Now Playing: Final Fantasy XII (JP), Portal 2 (PC)
Recently Played: Castlevania III

Bunk Moreland
Now Playing: Dragon Quest III
Recently Played:

cj_iwakura
Now Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers (JP)
Recently Played: Catherine (PS3)

Conceptor
Now Playing:
Recently Played:

DG_Nick
Now Playing: Persona 4 (Daily Calendar Challenge)
Recently Played: Trauma Center: New Blood

JRPereira
Now Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Recently Played: Persona 3 Portable

Mo the Hawk
Now Playing: Borderlands (PC), Portal 2 (PC), Valkyria Chronicles, Just Cause 2 (PC)
Recently Played: Chrono Trigger (PSX)

Nitramtj
Now Playing: Persona 4
Recently Played:

Readleeb
Now Playing: Left 4 Dead 2 (PC), Portal 2 (PC), Civilization V
Recently Played: Valkyria Chronicles (PS2)

Scythesurge
Now Playing: Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
Recently Played: Final Fantasy

Tremis
Now Playing:
Recently Played: God Hand

Venfayth
Now Playing: Final Fantasy V (GBA), Final Fantasy VIII
Recently Played: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Volcynika
Now Playing: Portal (PC)
Recently Played:

XenoRaven
Now Playing: Persona 4
Recently Played:

XeRo
Now Playing: Xenosaga Episode II (Un-dub)
Recently Played: Xenosaga Episode I (Un-dub), Zone of the Enders 2

Yukkuri
Now Playing: Super Metroid
Recently Played: Castlevania 3, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and we all play the living hell out of that Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 and Borderlands, if you're ever interested in shooting bad guys with us. :D

XenoRaven

Haha, this thread is poppin. It actually might be better served in the Online/Community Forum at this point.

Anyway, yeah guys, someone's streaming something pretty much every day. Readleeb will sometimes be streaming in the morning, and then most others will be streaming from the afternoon, evening, and then into the long hours of the night (all times PST). Again, you don't necessarily have to stream to join us. The more people to just chat and mess around with, the better.

Teknoman

I've always seen steam messages popping up about this...how are you guys streaming anyway? Directly through a capture card or something?

XenoRaven

Teknoman said:
I've always seen steam messages popping up about this...how are you guys streaming anyway? Directly through a capture card or something?
Most of us go through a capture card I think. Mo and I both use a Hauppauge HD PVR and then use some kind of screen capture software like VH Scr Cap for PCs or CamTwist for Macs. If you're in the market for a Capture Card, or you're curious how to set your own stream up with one, you'd have to ask Bulleta, Read, or Scy. I'm not sure what Bunk, Vol, and Xero use.

Teknoman

XenoRaven said:
Most of us go through a capture card I think. Mo and I both use a Hauppauge HD PVR and then use some kind of screen capture software like VH Scr Cap for PCs or CamTwist for Macs. If you're in the market for a Capture Card, or you're curious how to set your own stream up with one, you'd have to ask Bulleta, Read, or Scy. I'm not sure what Bunk, Vol, and Xero use.

Cool thanks. Hopefully with the holidays coming up, i'll be able to blast zombies with some of you guys and girls again. Going to ask Vol if he plans on streaming NFS: HP online races. Definitely going to have to watch Xero since i've been interested in getting into the Fatal Frame series.

XenoRaven

Teknoman said:
Cool thanks. Hopefully with the holidays coming up, i'll be able to blast zombies with some of you guys and girls again. Going to ask Vol if he plans on streaming NFS: HP online races. Definitely going to have to watch Xero since i've been interested in getting into the Fatal Frame series.
Sounds good. We're always looking to add to the L4D crew too.

Bulleta's streaming DQ5 right now if anyone is interested.

Uncle AJ

Copypasta'd from my channel summary thing:

My PC's motherboard didn't have room to install a capture card so I went the external route with the Hauppauge HD PVR. It's kinda expensive though (got it off Amazon for 170 bucks) so I don't recommend it for everyone. If you play a lot of HD games and want the best quality, though, it's good for that.

First I plug whatever game console I'm using into the Hauppauge w/ video cables. It has ports for component and composite IN so can do either, BUT it only has component for OUT, so make sure your TV has component inputs. For the PSP you can buy component OUT cables for the 2000 and 3000 models for 20 bucks from Best Buy. PSP Go video OUT cables are different and I think slightly more expensive but can get them from the same place.

The Hauppauge comes with capture software (I've tried all sorts of other capture software, but the TotalMedia Extreme one it comes with seems to be the only one it recognizes) that's designed to record video, but all I need it to do is play back the direct feed footage of the game in real time on my PC screen. Then I use VhScrCap to draw a box around just the part of my monitor that's displaying the game footage. Then Flash Media Live Encoder can use VhScrCap as an input source. So all you're really seeing is a live feed of my computer desktop.

The game footage on the PC screen lags behind button input by about 1 second, though, so I can't just play off my PC monitor. So I use two-way component cables (comes with the Hauppauge) to plug the OUT ports on the Hauppauge into my TV, and I play off my TV screen where there's no lag.

Persona7 said:

How About No
(Yesterday, 04:38 PM)
Reply | Quote

Volcynika

Teknoman said:

Don't have the setup to stream from my console, right now I'm only streaming stuff from PC. Would have to get a capture card and figure out the best way to set things up if I wanted to stream from my PS3 or something.

Volcynika

I'm at work!

Though if I play tonight it'll be Alpha Protocol, though tomorrow will be Super Meat Boy after I download it. :D

Uncle AJ

Volcynika said:
I'm at work!

Ditto. Also praying that this new video card I'm picking up after work today actually works (old one got fried yesterday).

I'll be VERY curious to see how you play AP, Volc. I think I'm one of about 10 people on the internet who actually enjoyed that game.

XenoRaven

We got jobz, yo. There should be someone streaming today though. Between Mo and I, we can keep you guys updated as to when someone starts streaming. Maybe we can convince read to post in here whenever he starts since he sometimes does Civ V in the morning.

Uncle AJ

Well we all update our Steam statuses to say "Streaming - whatever" when we're playing, so find our SteamIDs on the Steam Group page and friend us so we appear on your friends list to make that easier.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Made a justintv account myself, and the stream seems to be working alright, probably better than ustream.

http://www.justin.tv/tremis

Just finished Alundra (finally... the final boss was a pain), and I'll either move on to Baten Kaitos origins or Shiren Wii. Not sure if you are accepting any members, but i thought i'd give it a shot.

Uncle AJ

Tremis is part of the crew now! Says he plans on doing Shiren the Wanderer (Wii) then Baten Kaitos: Origins (GC) sometime after.

Uncle AJ

New member - Nitramtj!

http://www.justin.tv/nitramtj

Also we've gotten a lot of new games over X-mas so come play some co-op PC games with us! So far we're thinking Borderlands on the weekends, Killing Floor on Thursdays, Civilization V and Call of Duty: Black Ops on not yet determined dates, and the usual Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 in between.

Uncle AJ

Thnik and cj: absolutely! A stream is a stream. :D Just post the links to your channels in here, and if you guys have Steam you can change your "what you are playing" status to let people in the group know when you start streaming, or make announcements in the group.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/radicalstreamers

We're chatting/hanging out in the steam group chat almost 24/7.

I don't stream, but as a viewer, Twitch/Justin is simply a better experience. Ustream crashes a lot in my browser and even the mobile app isn't as good as Justin's when I'm on the go.

Going to subscribe to this thread. Right now, I'm traveling, so don't have access to fast internet, but hopefully people from the OP are still streaming. I love watching streams for games I don't have access to or story-driven games at which I suck (GTA games, or horror games, and tough platformers).

Top Bottom