• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Tactics |OT| Retail PSP game in North America Fall 2012

Anyone here been playing it? I'm about 7 main events into the game.

My impressions so far:

- Really predictable enemy AI. They don't move until someone is in their range. And they're all spaced in a way that it's easy to lure 'em one by one into your group of kickassers.

- Archers are sooo overpowered, at least in the early stages of the game. My archer has been pretty much one-shotting most enemies with that 2-arrow skill. My main is a Lord Knight, and I have a created archer, high wizard, and champion. Thinking about adding a dancer to the fold just to change up the routine.

- I didn't think I'd care about the story, but it's been decent so far. Pretty typical faction against faction, political war type plot.

- I like the character portraits in the dialogue segments, and bonus points for having different art for different expressions as opposed to just one stock picture.

- I don't sense much variety between classes. Pretty much split between range and melee, but nothing especially interesting about their skills.

- "Burst strike" and "Overdrive" are overkill. Not really sure what fills the meter, but I tend to have at least 1 for each character available during each battle.

- Money flows in like crazy. I haven't been going nuts at the shop or anything, but there's more cash available than stuff I really need at the moment. And I haven't even really done any "free battles"...pretty much stuck to "main events".

dokish

Banned
Oh my gosh this game is so recent and I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF IT! Just started playing a few minutes ago (probably one hour by now) and I'M TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH IT!

I'm not a SRPG fan, I never played any of the classic and prestigious titles (FFT, Disgaeae, etc), but let me say that I'm enjoying myself playing this. Probably because I spent more than 5 years of my life playing Ragnarok (yes!) and is so good to see the world being explored in other games. Is good to see cards, classes, zeny, status, etc all over again.

And WHO WOULD GUESS THAT THE STORY IS THE BEST PART? Is really drawing me! The dialogue, for what it is, is pretty funny and charming. The characters sprites are cute and well made too.

I tried to find more info online, but its lacking everywhere! Even GameFAQs don't have enough about this game. I wanna unlock the Kafra. What do I need to do?

How long is this game?

WOW!!

Anyone here been playing it? I'm about 7 main events into the game.

My impressions so far:

- I don't sense much variety between classes. Pretty much split between range and melee, but nothing especially interesting about their skills.

They seem pretty different to me. Have you played Ragnarok before? Upgrading VIT/STR won't get you far in a Sniper or Champion, for example. Or INT/DEX in a Lord Knight. Each job has its roles. Although Toren (is that his name?) is kind of strong, is far from being a tanker.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Oh my gosh this game is so recent and I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF IT! Just started playing a few minutes ago (probably one hour by now) and I'M TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH IT!

I'm not a SRPG fan, I never played any of the classic and prestigious titles (FFT, Disgaeae, etc), but let me say that I'm enjoying myself playing this. Probably because I spent more than 5 years of my life playing Ragnarok (yes!) and is so good to see the world being explored in other games. Is good to see cards, classes, zeny, status, etc all over again.

And WHO WOULD GUESS THAT THE STORY IS THE BEST PART? Is really drawing me! The dialogue, for what it is, is pretty funny and charming. The characters sprites are cute and well made too.

I tried to find more info online, but its lacking everywhere! Even GameFAQs don't have enough about this game. I wanna unlock the Kafra. What do I need to do?

How long is this game?

WOW!!

I own the game but haven't opened it yet. Does it contain any music from RO? specifically the Prontera theme?

I'm also glad to hear the story is good, I'm gonna get to this game pretty soon.

dokish

Banned
I own the game but haven't opened it yet. Does it contain any music from RO? specifically the Prontera theme?

I'm also glad to hear the story is good, I'm gonna get to this game pretty soon.

Sadly, no. Towns also don't have the same name, it seems. You won't see 'Prontera', 'Geffen', etc. At least is not showing in the world map...

If you are a fan of old school RPGs, the story is definitely engaging and light-hearted. Give it a try. Put one hour into the game (until you go back to the orphanage), and tell us what you think.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Sadly, no. Towns also don't have the same name, it seems. You won't see 'Prontera', 'Geffen', etc. At least is not showing in the world map...

If you are a fan of old school RPGs, the story is definitely engaging and light-hearted. Give it a try. Put one hour into the game (until you go back to the orphanage), and tell us what you think.

I usually stick to one game at a time, so I won't get to this until I finish Etrian Odyssey 4, but this will be next on my list. I'll post impressions then!

Also, does the DS ragnarok game have the RO music?

dokish

Banned
You're welcome.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/09/the-story-behind-ragnarok-tactics-localization/

Really nice reading all the old news about the gaming development that I didn't saw before...

EDIT: Each class plays very differently! Basically, IMO, LK, Pala, Sin, Dancer and Bard are pretty useless :(

I choose Cynthia path, so my part is me (Sniper), another Sniper (mercenary), Whitesmith (mercenary), a Champion (mercenary) and a High Priestess (mercenary). Lord Knights are good tankers but they are awfully slow, Whitesmith seems a much better option, speacilly because they can boost Sniper's ATK (or any party member actually).

Maybe Dancer and Bard have overpowered skills later on, but I don't think anybody got that far with the class (because of the lack of info online), so I'm not gonna take any chances now. Maybe in my second playthrough.

Kickz

Is this similar to Jeanne D Arc? I enjoyed that immensely, and reviews are hard to come by for this game..

Top Bottom