• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain |OT| Wash away those Last Guardian blues

Rain_Logo_Promo.jpg

• Platform: PlayStation 3 (PlayStation Network)
  • Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
  • Developers: Acquire/ PlayStation C.A.M.P./ SCE Japan Studio
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Release Date: 1st October (NA)/ 2nd October (EU)
  • Price: $14.99/ £9.99
Information

Explore an eerie, rain-soaked city as an invisible boy trying to save a girl from the ghostly creatures that are hunting her. As the constant raindrops hammer down, you’ll develop a watery silhouette and your enemies will spot you. Take cover from the rain and you’ll disappear from sight.

Can you find your way through this mysterious world and discover the truth about its supernatural inhabitants?

Features:

• Experience a tense and atmospheric adventure.
  • Journey through an elaborate, hand-drawn world.
  • Interact with the environment to solve intricate puzzles.
Pre-Order Bonuses:

• Mini-soundtrack (approximate run time: 4:50 minutes)
  • Theme
  • Dynamic theme
  • Five PlayStation Network avatars

Reviews

USgamer - 4.5/5

Rain won't take you more than a few afternoons to complete, but it manages to reach its conclusion before tedium could possibly set in. And while it offers some replay value by dropping some story-explaining collectibles throughout a second playthrough, Rain's explicit narrative fed me the perfect amount of information the first time around. In a sense, it's a shame that C.A.M.P. seems to be hitting their stride just as Sony started making preparations for the PS3's funeral, but projects like Rain make me extremely hopeful for future headstrong experiments from this extremely talented team.

Videogamer - 9/10

With similarities to the likes of ICO, Shadow of The Colossus and last year's Journey, it's another exceptional entry in Sony's arthouse-inspired run of games that it consistently does so well. It may not have the hype of this winter's blockbusters, but it'll stay with you a lot longer than many of those games will.

Polygon - 8.5

I appreciated Rain all the more because of its briefness, its ethereal nature. The mechanics are engaging enough, but it didn't challenge me or force me to learn complex controls. It wasn't about those things. Rain is an anxious emotion — something that pulled me in with a setting so charming that I wanted to spend time there even when I was on edge.

Destructoid - 8/10

Rain is not quite the model of refinement that some of its PlayStation Network peers have been, but it's an overwhelmingly amiable, effectively cultivated little adventure. Calming and scary, amusing and sorrowful, Rain is a game that jogs calmly through a gamut of emotions, rather than sprints headlong into mood whiplash, and it's incredibly difficult to ever dislike it, even during its twitchier moments. Rain is, above all, a most balmy experience.

Push Square - 8/10

A wet and mild ride through a spirit-infested city, Rain is soaked with smart stealth-lite systems and awe-inducing presentation. The simple puzzles and short running time wash away some of its triumphs, and it certainly won’t leave you streaming like Japan Studio’s most memorable excursions, but the adventure will still linger on your lips like a kiss under a dark cloud.

PlayStation.net - 80/100

In spite of any of the outlined problems, and recognisable feel, Rain is an absolutely splendid experience. The game as a whole cultivates into a wonderfully enjoyable time that always keeps you curious as to what is going to happen next, what’s around each corner and what will be the fate of our silent protagonists. For the price of €13 and around 5 hours of gameplay, with added content after completion, this game is well worth the price of admission to absorb yourself into the wonderfully strange and twisted world, garnished by the delectable soundtrack, beautiful visuals and a superb ending. This is definitely a game well worth adding to your library.

IGN - 7.0

Rain's a curious experience which, for the majority of its three-hour running time, succeeds in creating a unique atmosphere and introducing a gameplay mechanic that has genuine emotional resonance. It makes you feel lonely and lost, yet fails to really make the most of its wonderful attributes, never maturing into the rich experience it could've been.

Eurogamer - 6/10

The game that actually draws on this magical midnight ambience is perfectly acceptable and intermittently enjoyable, but it meanders and runs out of ideas, and it lacks the kind of striking narrative that could assauge the absence of genuine challenge or playfulness.

JoyPad.dk - 50/100

Rain is too much style and not enough play. In fact, I think I would have gotten just as much pleasure out of watching a replay of Rain on Youtube, than playing it yourself. It is therefore difficult for me to recommend Rain to persons other than those who simply must have all the games released for the Playstation 3.

billsmugs

Do we know what the dynamic theme and avatars look like yet? I'll be away from my PS3 when this launches (probably until Christmas), but it's unlikely to drop in price or appear on PS+ before then, so if they are really good I might pre-order anyway.

Gammacide

I saw the theme this morning in gif format I think on Twitter. I'll see if I can find it, but I assume I'll be beaten by faster gaffers. Looks great though. Pre-ordered and can't wait!!

Ah, here it is!

rain1053.gif

Shahed

I like that theme. Pre-order bonus? Sold!

I was gonna get the game anyway. May as well pre order and get the extras

Nia

Oh, October 1st? That's pretty soon. This game caught my interest the 1st day it was revealed. I love the idea behind it, and the atmosphere. I'm definitely going to preorder it.

sn00zer

As much as I like these suped-up indies, the setting for this isnt really grabbing me like Flower or Journey or Unfinished Swan...optimistic though and awaiting impressions

oh shit this comes out next week!

was looking forward to it, but honestly i'm not sure if I have enough money to buy both this and Beyond Two Souls.

Hope this is good. Joystiq preview from E3 basically said it seemed kinda shallow.

Doesn't seem like an unreasonable comment, seeing as there doesn't appear to be a lot of depth or variety to the mechanics or gameplay. That being said, you could absolutely call Journey or Brothers or The Unfinished Swan shallow from a gameplay perspective, but a lot of the driving force behind these kind of games is your experience and your interpretation of them. I think Rain will fall into the same category.

Squire

Banned
Doesn't seem like an unreasonable comment, seeing as there doesn't appear to be a lot of depth or variety to the mechanics or gameplay. That being said, you could absolutely call Journey or Brothers or The Unfinished Swan shallow from a gameplay perspective, but a lot of the driving force behind these kind of games is your experience and your interpretation of them. I think Rain will fall into the same category.

Here's hoping!

Nice OT.

Really looking forward to this, the news that it's short just makes it even more appealing as I really don't have the time to invest a 20+ hour campaign. It's hard enough just playing a couple of missions of GTA5 and a curtain or two of Puppeteer every so often...

Hanmik

Nice OT.

Really looking forward to this, the news that it's short just makes it even more appealing as I really don't have the time to invest a 20+ hour campaign. It's hard enough just playing a couple of missions of GTA5 and a curtain or two of Puppeteer every so often...

How short is too short then..?

zeopower6

Day 1!

Dude someone else had a claim on the OT

It's okay. :/

I was gonna make some animated stuff and wait for more details but I got caught up with things so I didn't get a chance to make it.

Anyway, good OT~ the game IIRC is not gonna be short by any means.

How short is too short then..?

For £10? 2-3 hours gameplay. If there's any replay value, that's even better. Don't get me wrong, I love a long meaty campaign as much anyone, but I also like the occasional short but sweet game too and this seems to fit that category quite comfortably.

jjw3k, why are you so eager to commit account suicide? Not just with your post in this thread, but also in the GTA and Bravely Default threads as well. Play nice and cease with the trolling.

kuppy

Yeah this game looks so great, I think I stopped watching more media shortly after the first gameplay trailer.
Nice OT title.

I skipped puppeteer because of GTA V, should still get it somewhere cheap though.
If this one gets decent reviews, I will bite at launch.

Radec

subscribing,..

Haven't seen anything of this yet, for all I know this game might do another-"Journey" on me (which was my GotY last year)

:D

Top Bottom