• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Moon for PS4 launches February 16

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/rainbow-moon-ps4-launches-february-16

Rainbow Moon will launch for PlayStation 4 on February 16 in the Americas and February 17 in Europe, publisher Eastasiasoft announced. It will cost $14.99 / €14.99 / £11.99 at launch and be available at a 50 percent discount for existing owners of the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita versions in selected territories.

The PlayStation 4 version of the strategy RPG features updated dialogue, improved load times, and cross-save compatibility with the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita versions.

Eastasiasoft also announced that the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita versions of Rainbow Moon have been downloaded over one million times.

Hobbun

Presumably they haven't fixed the "please buy our microtransactions" led difficulty level?

I hope they haven’t.

At its highest difficulty, the game is challenging and grindy, but you don’t need to purchase the DLC to play the higher difficulty.

I played deep into the post-game on its hardest difficulty just fine without purchasing any microtransactions.

What's up with that? I was about buying it to get some decent S-JRPG until Stella Glow shows up.

What do you mean in regards to your question? What is it?

Hobbun

Platinumed it. Didn't buy a thing. Took 100 hours but still wasn't really hard with bit of old school grinding.

Exactly.

I am very close to platinuming it, and it took me longer, but then I've always been slower than just about anyone at playing games.

Okay, I wasn't the only one that thought the game was brutal.

This is actually one of the things I loved about the game, how challenging it was. I hope Rainbow Skies has a level of difficulty that will give us this, as well.

Same, I enjoyed the first few hours I played but I definitely reached a point where I felt I wouldn't be able to progress without spending real money. Gave it up then.

I guess it’s just different peoples play styles and what they are used to in regards to challenge.

There were times I was stuck at a boss and felt I couldn’t progress, but then went out and grinded a bit. Raised a few levels, saved some more money and bought better gear and then went back. I never felt I had to spend real money on DLC to overcome any hurdles.

They already gave away the Vita/PS3 version so no. Plus you get a discount if you already own them.

That hasn't stopped them before. They've given away Limbo on two separate occasions and given out "definitive editions" of games they've given out previously (Dead Nation and Trine 2 off the top of my head).

Platinumed it. Didn't buy a thing. Took 100 hours but still wasn't really hard with bit of old school grinding.

Nothing about your post disagreed with anything you quoted.

Yea, you circumvented their microtransaction-led difficulty level by putting in 100 hours and grinding excessively. I mean, awesome if you enjoyed it, but that doesn't refute anything...

Vandole

I played Rainbow Moon on the hardest difficulty level and while it was definitely a grind, I never thought it was impossible. That said, it was never able to pull me in for one reason or another. I put in around 30 hours of gameplay though, and got my money's worth. It doesn't quite get a recommendation from me, but I wouldn't say it's something to stay away from either.

Hobbun

Yea, you circumvented their microtransaction-led difficulty level by putting in 100 hours and grinding excessively. I mean, awesome if you enjoyed it, but that doesn't refute anything...

The point of his post was you don’t need to spend money on microtransactions to get past the challenge. Now, if you don’t like grinding sometimes, then that’s another factor.

But then this is only a problem for people if they try the hardest difficulty. If you go to a lower difficulty, the need to grind becomes much less, if at all.

Yeah, it's cool if you enjoyed that but I didn't, the game wasn't even close to good enough to warrant a 100-hour grind through it.

Some of the difficulty spikes were insane. Like, 20 or 30 or something hours in I was basically cruising and then reached a boss that was so powerful I literally thought it was one of those story battles you were supposed to lose, then I hit the game over screen. That's where I gave up.

I guess for me there's a difference between a grind which is for enjoyment, and a grind which is for necessity, and Rainbow Moon is the latter. You literally can't beat the game without a lot of painful grinding (or paying money) and as I say, it's not good enough to demand that much of my time.

Hobbun

Yeah, it's cool if you enjoyed that but I didn't, the game wasn't even close to good enough to warrant a 100-hour grind through it.

Some of the difficulty spikes were insane. Like, 20 or 30 or something hours in I was basically cruising and then reached a boss that was so powerful I literally thought it was one of those story battles you were supposed to lose, then I hit the game over screen. That's where I gave up.

I guess for me there's a difference between a grind which is for enjoyment, and a grind which is for necessity, and Rainbow Moon is the latter. You literally can't beat the game without a lot of painful grinding (or paying money) and as I say, it's not good enough to demand that much of my time.

Just curious, but what difficulty level did you play?

Many have complained it is too difficult and challenging, but there are actually two difficulty levels. I would be curious to hear those that complain about the challenge and grinding in what difficulty level they played. SideQuest does a good job explaining what each one entails:

Normal “This is the default difficulty setting recommended for beginners. You can play through the main story without extensive extra leveling. The difficulty will be decent, but you shouldn’t have too hard a time when fighting normal monsters.”

Hard “This is designed for players who love grinding and using all the levels to their limits. Monsters are stronger, with enhanced power and boosted attributes. You can keep up by using all your skills, weapons, and items efficiently.”

I know some may give opposition in that they are not ‘beginners’, but if grinding is not for you, then maybe ‘Normal’ is the best option.

Just curious, but what difficulty level did you play?

I can't remember, but it was almost definitely normal, I tend not to choose "hard" on a first playthrough.

And to be fair, I didn't have a hard time fighting normal monsters, like it says. I just had a hard time fighting a boss which I couldn't damage, and which could OHKO me with total ease. From absolutely nowhere.

Camwi

Except it really doesn't take much grinding to beat the game. To Platinum it, absolutely.

I'd say it's on Disgaea's level when it comes to both of those aspects.

Hobbun

I can't remember, but it was almost definitely normal, I tend not to choose "hard" on a first playthrough.

And to be fair, I didn't have a hard time fighting normal monsters, like it says. I just had a hard time fighting a boss which I couldn't damage, and which could OHKO me with total ease. From absolutely nowhere.

Well, sorry to hear it wasn’t for you. I know grinding isn’t popular with a lot of people now, especially if it’s a grind you can’t enjoy doing.

Myself, I’ve always liked the grind of RPGs, if it’s something I enjoy grinding. With Rainbow Moon, I had a lot of fun doing so.

Hopefully, one of the difficulty levels of the upcoming Rainbow Skies is one more suited to your playing style, if you decide to give the game a try.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I would like to play it on PS4 but already own it on Vita and I usually don't double dip, even with the discount.

If it had been cross play, I would have been stoked.

Footos22

Not really one of the trophies is to play for 100 hours so i didnt have a choice....

I'd wrapped up everything by 80. not really much longer then most rpgs. Never felt like i was grinding any more then in any other rpg and the main quest was pretty standard stuff. I was just going through new dungeons then switching to others when i hit a level wall. After you finish the main game you level up ridiculously fast.

Vita sat next to me at work just playing away in the background for about a week.
Bought it for PS3 originally but its much better in short bursts so ended up buying for the Vita when it was on sale and finished it up.

Not good enough to buy it again though. Hoping the Sequel is much improved which i guess is why this version exists to drum up fundage.

Hobbun

Have there been any updates to Rainbow Skies??

That's what I'm waiting for....

Nothing recently.

I would estimate Rainbow Skies to be released 2nd half of 2016, so I wouldn’t anticipate any solid updates (besides their normal photos) for at least another couple of months.

But maybe (hopefully) I will be wrong. Who knows, maybe they’ll give an update sooner now that they’ve finished with porting Rainbow Moon to the PS4.

Hobbun

Have there been any updates to Rainbow Skies??

That's what I'm waiting for....

FYI, got some more info on the official forums for Rainbow Skies in regards to skills:

* Skills are now classified in "magic schools". There are currently ten different schools available, but each character class can only learn up to 3. It's similar to a job system.

* For each school, you can obtain magic books. They are similar to the scrolls in Rainbow Moon. You can obtain or buy the books, but you can only learn them, if a character has an affinity to the corresponding magic school.

* Each book contains 2-3 skills. So, when you use a book, the character will learn all the skills from this book from the beginning, but only the first skill can be used at that time. The follow up skills have additional requirements before you can use them. In other words, you have to 'unlock' the follow up skills, by using the lower skill. So, for example to be able to use skill 2, you have to bring skill 1 up to level 5.

* Books for each school are available in three ranks: Beginner, Expert and Master. You can only learn the skills if you have the corresponding rank, but each character can do examinations to increase his rank.

* Skill XP / lvl is still supported and improved too. While this was just a boost for damage in Rainbow Moon, (with a few exceptions like x-ray or light) the increased level now have individual effects, depending on the skill.

That's all for now. We'll carry on posting more details during this year, so stay tuned and thanks a lot for your steady interest in our project. (And we're really aware of the huge delay)

Top Bottom