• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Moon (VITA) [OT] OLED Eye candy to grind on

Cornbread78

01af46f3-0c32-4242-8bb7-75ccb52f89f2_zpsbace5c07.jpg

Developer(s)
SideQuest Studios
Publisher(s)
EastAsiaSoft
Platform(s)
PlayStation Vita (digital only)
$14.99 (NA)

Genre(s)
Tactical role-playing game
Mode(s)
Single-player

Official website:http://www.rainbowmoongame.com/
Release Date (VITA): 12/3/2013

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYkj2K-9g7k

Story:
Cursed by his arch-rival, Baldren finds himself warped to Rainbow Moon.
And to make things worse, Baldren isn't only stranded in an unknown place; he has also opened a dimensional gate out of which troops of monsters are crawling, turning this once peaceful planet into a real hell. There's only one thing for our brave hero to do: He has to seal the gate and warp himself back to his home planet.

Embark on an epic adventure that leads you through a beautiful, isometric, open world with detailed high-definition visuals. Rainbow Moon is a strategy RPG with a strong emphasis on exploration, character development and turn-based battles. Six playable main characters with upgradeable weapons, armor and accessories; about 100 special skills and more than 20 challenging dungeons are awaiting you in a fascinating story that lasts over 40 hours.

Characters:

Baldren: the reluctant hero
rm_C01.jpg

Trisha: the Bow user
rm_C02.jpg

Gorodo: the Fighter
rm_C03.jpg

Screen Pics:
10577705006_25ea094397_z.jpg

url

url

url

url

url

40 min gameplay of Rainbow Moon on PS Vita:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YHtm...ure=youtu.be&a

Reviews:

Gaming Age:
http://www.gaming-age.com/2013/12/rainbow-moon-review-ps-vita/
C-

The Sixth Axis:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/12/04/rainbow-moon-review-ps-vita/
7/10

Destructoid
http://www.destructoid.com/impressions-rainbow-moon-vita--266716.phtml
no grade

PS Lifestyle:
http://www.*************************/2013/11/28/rainbow-moon-review-vita/
5.5/10

Just Push Start:
http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/12/rainbow-moon-ps-vita-review/

N4G:
http://n4g.com/news/1406960/rainbow-moon-review-ps-vita-blisteredthumbs
6/10

Metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/rainbow-moon

Playstation Universe:
http://www.psu.com/a021865/Rainbow-Moon-PS-Vita-Review--addictive-grind-in-portable-form

Niche Gamer:
http://nichegamer.net/reviews/rainbow-moon-vita-review/
8/10

I couldn't find a thread, but I'm sure there is some interest out there, especially from those VITAbros, so here is my quick [OT] attempt,(be gentle) I can't wait to download this, it looks great!

Cornbread78

I was planning on picking this up tonight. For those that played the ps3 version, is it worth my 11.99 if I loved DisgaeaIII?

komorebi

I've been playing it on Vita for the past few days. I'm enjoying it but I can tell its going to get real grindy, real fast. I'm not paying for microtransaction stat and coin boosts so I wonder how this will affect my patience down the road. Its pretty obvious that the game is designed to push people towards microtransactions but I don't think they're needed as long as one is willing to grind twice as long.

Heratiki

I want to buy this game so bad but just can't move myself to enjoy this type of gaming. If Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea didn't do it I don't think this game is for me.

That being said, why are there so many SRPG games around and so few like Diablo or any Roguelike for that matter? I know these sell but damnit I need to hack n slash Vita action especially after Ruin's demise.

ReaperXL7

Did squeenix pull those trees straight out of Donkey Kong Country?

Its not madw by Square. Rainbow moon was created by the same devs that gave us Soldner X, Im actually enjoying it personally, but its going to depend heavily one how much a heavy grind bothers you. As a fan of the Disgaea series a grind in SRPGs is actually kind of appealing for me in some ways.

The character art is not great unfortunetly, but the world art is not too bad. If anyone is interested they should check out the demo, as mentioned there is one for both versions of the game.

Cornbread78

Shit, I was saving those PSN dollars for some AAA Christmas sales but screw it, I've wanted a new rpg to play for awhile now on vita.

EGOMON

I bought it and am really enjoying it more so than disgaea the art style is cool and the feel of the game on vita is perfect to sink time while on bed or outside home.
8/10

Ricker

Loved the demo on the PS3 when I tried around April and almost bought it but then I read a Vita version was coming so I waited...going to grab it this week.

I've been waiting 18 months for this to come to Vita so I jumped on it as soon as it was releasef. I'm not very far into it so far but I'm liking it. Looking forward to playing more

Rixa

3rd day, getting error. Trying to get that PS3 special offer for Vita (5,16€).
I've informed that error in EU PS Blog & Twitter, but its not fixed. I would like to grind this game with my Vita (owning PS3 copy), but yeah thanks SCEE for failing to fix this problem.

Cornbread78

I've been waiting 18 months for this to come to Vita so I jumped on it as soon as it was releasef. I'm not very far into it so far but I'm liking it. Looking forward to playing more

I've been playing for a few hours thus far and have really been enjoying it, the battles are easy to manage and fun to play through, not much of a story yet, but I'll give it more time.

Number45

I don't play many games like this, and I don't know why I bought this... but I did!

Any tips for not having Trish die constantly to the golems in the Thief's Lair? Useless wench.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's graphics style somewhat makes me think of a deformed Heroes of Might & Magic III
heroes_of_mm_3_profilelarge.jpg

Man i really want HoMMIII on vita :(

sense

I don't play many games like this, and I don't know why I bought this... but I did!

Any tips for not having Trish die constantly to the golems in the Thief's Lair? Useless wench.
Just don't move her from the start. Keep using painful rim and any other long range skill. Manage your moves so that they don't get close. Hit once and move the opposite direction. Use baldren to clear enemies that get close. Keep increasing luck and speed for her and strength and defense for baldren and from time to time increase defense for trish. Not sure if this is the ideal strategy but it has been working for me. I do use coins to heal and replenish mana from the store every time they are almost done and use herbs only when absolutely needed during battle.

Having fun with the game. Nothin to write home about with story but it does seem addicting and challenging And I am having fun so far

Number45

Just don't move her from the start. Keep using painful rim and any other long range skill. Manage your moves so that they don't get close. Hit once and move the opposite direction. Use baldren to clear enemies that get close. Keep increasing luck and speed for her and strength and defense for baldren and from time to time increase defense for trish. Not sure if this is the ideal strategy but it has been working for me. I do use coins to heal and replenish mana from the store every time they are almost done and use herbs only when absolutely needed during battle.

Having fun with the game. Nothin to write home about with story but it does seem addicting and challenging And I am having fun so far
Thanks for the tips. :)

I've been moving her, but keeping her away has been difficult with her speed being as low as it is. I haven't actually hit a savant since I met her so I haven't had the chance to update yet.

Cornbread78

Thanks for the tips. :)

I've been moving her, but keeping her away has been difficult with her speed being as low as it is. I haven't actually hit a savant since I met her so I haven't had the chance to update yet.

O've worked on her speed defense and attack more than anything and she'a become much more useful. Make sure you get her skill scrolls as well.

Cornbread78

Game looks awesome! Reminds me of Lumia.

it's a rather simple srpg that is fun to pick up and play. You can save anywhere outside of battle, so it's perfect for on the good. Just don't expect too much in regards to story or immersion, it's just a fun quirky rpg..

Faenix1

This is an old thread, but I just bought the Vita Version.

I own the PS3 version but it got buried due to all my games but the Vita version is on the NA store for $2.09 if you own the PS3 version and are a PS+ member.. so I jumped on it. HOWEVER I found this post on another gaming forum:

Just a fair warning. If you plan on working towards a platinum, and you plan on using cross save for its intended purposes, make sure all the story related trophies ding on the same platform. They can only be obtained once, and your other system will not recognize it after its already been done.

So either save right before any story related trophy (which is normally right before you unlock a new character or find a new artifact and load it up on the second system (which unfortunately comes up unexpectedly in some cases.) or be prepared to do it all over again.

I learned the hard way and unfortunately now to get a platinum on either system I have go through the story twice, and I have to make sure that Im always on the exact opposite system I was on the first time around when I got those trophies to pop which is rather inconvenient.

Is that true? Don't care about trophies but they are nice to get sometimes. Would be a shame to get locked out of it.

Cornbread78

Will anyone else give this game a shot, now that it's free for PS+?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904889&highlight=playstation+plus

Honestly, I gave up on it after awhile. I mean, the grind to play the game without purchasing rainbow pearls and coins is useless. You are forced to buy in order to have any enjoyment in the game at all... Thsi is very unfortunate..

If you want to play it for any amoutn of time, right away, I would recommend picking up this kit for $2.99:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...rge)/cid=UP2005-NPUB30434_00-RAINBOWMKEY00019

This will at least allow you to enjoy the game without spending a ton of cash.

redcrayon

I gave up on it after about six hours earlier this year, when the grind and push towards microtransactions became tedious, it's only being offered 'free' on PS+ as a stealth move on people's wallets. Perhaps I'm just bitter that I paid a tenner for it only to find a very repetitive, subpar SRPG with little in the way of tactics, far too little enemy or battle variation and a lot of grinding instead. I love any kind of grid-based combat, but Rainbow Moon is just incredibly basic. It might be worth investigating for a few hours as a beginners guide to SRPGs, if the initial wall of numbers regarding height, terrain, offensive and defensive bonuses in other games usually seems too complicated, but it's not something I can see anyone sticking with if they really like the intricacies of the better games in the genre.

On the same console, you can play FFT, Tactics Ogre, Jeanne D'Arc, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Gungnir, Frozen Synapse, Front Mission 3 and at least a dozen other decent squad tactics games that are timesinks but don't beg for cash and offer much more variety.

In a similar vein, it reminds me of Lionheart on iOS, which is a heavily monetised FTP version of FFT. Just because something's free initially doesn't mean it has any respect for your time.

Cornbread78

I gave up on it after about six hours earlier this year, when the grind and push towards microtransactions became tedious, it's only being offered 'free' on PS+ as a stealth move on people's wallets. Perhaps I'm just bitter that I paid a tenner for it only to find a very repetitive, subpar SRPG with little in the way of tactics, far too little enemy or battle variation and a lot of grinding instead. I love any kind of grid-based combat, but Rainbow Moon is just incredibly basic. It might be worth investigating for a few hours as a beginners guide to SRPGs, if the initial wall of numbers regarding height, terrain, offensive and defensive bonuses in other games usually seems too complicated, but it's not something I can see anyone sticking with if they really like the intricacies of the better games in the genre.

On the same console, you can play FFT, Tactics Ogre, Jeanne D'Arc, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Gungnir, Frozen Synapse, Front Mission 3 and at least a dozen other decent squad tactics games that are timesinks but don't beg for cash and offer much more variety.

In a similar vein, it reminds me of Lionheart on iOS, which is a heavily monetised FTP version of FFT. Just because something's free initially doesn't mean it has any respect for your time.

Good analysis, I foudn this to be true. Still kinda pissed I wasted the full price on it just to find out the microtransactions were almost mandatory to enjoy the game or even play it after the first couple hours. This is part of the f2P model (even though this defiantely was not a free game) that scares the crap outta me when it some to gaming in the future....

_RT_

I've been cranking through the game and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
One thing drives me nuts and I want to make sure I'm not missing something stupid.

Can you use recovery items HP and MP on other characters? Meaning can one character use the potion on another? Its tough when one person is getting beat up on and I have to use one of their turns to use a potion.

Also...
Seed of revival. Two characters dead. Can't pick which one to bring back?

Just checking...

Top Bottom