• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rawhides for dogs

I've been looking for some options for my dog, but I've been learning in the past few years that rawhide may be harmful. I give my dog treats, but she tears through them pretty fast. I want something that she can have to chew on for a while that won't risk injury. Something she can use for a while when I'm away from the house. Am I being too careful, or should I look at some other options?

Esca

Go to your local grocery store or butcher and get some beef bones. The grocery store near me (Publix) sells cut up bones that look like hockey pucks in the frozen section. I give them to my two dogs a lot. You can thaw them out and give it to your pooch or give it frozen to her. My dogs prefer it frozen and it takes a bit longer for them to get the marrow out of the middle. The bond itself they chew on for a couple of days and sometimes they can break it up on their own to eat out I just smash it with a hammer so they can manage and eat it better. I have a husky and a husky/shepard mix.

Go to your local grocery store or butcher and get some beef bones. The grocery store near me (Publix) sells cut up bones that look like hockey pucks in the frozen section. I give them to my two dogs a lot. You can thaw them out and give it to your pooch or give it frozen to her. My dogs prefer it frozen and it takes a bit longer for them to get the marrow out of the middle. The bond itself they chew on for a couple of days and sometimes they can break it up on their own to eat out I just smash it with a hammer so they can manage and eat it better. I have a husky and a husky/shepard mix.
That sounds perfect. Do you go up to the butcher and ask?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've been looking for some options for my dog, but I've been learning in the past few years that rawhide may be harmful. I give my dog treats, but she tears through them pretty fast. I want something that she can have to chew on for a while that won't risk injury. Something she can use for a while when I'm away from the house. Am I being too careful, or should I look at some other options?
Soak them in water for an hour. Much safer that way thought they do get devoured much quicker.

clarky

Gold Member
Bones are great but can get very messy.

Depends where you pooch hangs out when you're not at home I suppose. My 2 live in the kitchen/ garden on the rare times nobody is home and Boris tends to sit on the sofa with his bone and ends up with shit everywhere.

Here he is awaiting the prize.
jBdZzRL.png

Winter John

Deer antlers. I kid you not. Our dogs love them things. It’s like doggy Xmas for em when they get a couple of antlers to chew on.

DAHGAMING

Deer antlers. I kid you not. Our dogs love them things. It’s like doggy Xmas for em when they get a couple of antlers to chew on.

Same here with my 2, they last ages aswell. Also a Yak chew, sometimes called a cheese chew or Himalayan chew or a mix of all 3. Keeps them busy and when its down to the last bit you can microwave it for around 30 seconds, it will puff up and go crunchy, they love it.

Heres an example on Amazon: the K2 Yak chew Dog Treats 100% Natural and Long Lasting (Small x 1 (single)) https://amzn.eu/d/0hgNFjxq

I get my dog Nylabones off Amazon, and she likes 'em. They last a long time.

I wish I could just give her my leftover beef and chicken bones because she loves those, but I've been paranoid after reading that those can puncture dogs' stomachs.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Bones are great but can get very messy.

Depends where you pooch hangs out when you're not at home I suppose. My 2 live in the kitchen/ garden on the rare times nobody is home and Boris tends to sit on the sofa with his bone and ends up with shit everywhere.

Here he is awaiting the prize.
jBdZzRL.png
That's not a dog, that's a..

tank GIF

Top Bottom