• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend a DVD burner

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I just read that the retail boxes for Half-Life 2 will be...

* Standard Edition - includes HL2 and CS:Source. Ships on six CDs, in one of three box-art packages (Gordon, Alyx or the G-Man).

* Collector's Edition — includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source, a Half-Life 2 T-shirt and a Prima book sampler. Ships on a single DVD.

And I'll definitely be getting the Collector's Edition, but I don't have a DVD ROM. So I need some recommendations for good quality burners at a reasonable price.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R DL,

what do the + and - mean in regards to the media?

aaaaa0

Scrow said:
DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R DL,

what do the + and - mean in regards to the media?

Not much anymore. All good drives can read/write both.

- tends to be more compatible with DVD movie players.
+ is better for computer use.

At least that's what I remember.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Hooker said:
You don't have a DVD-rom in your computer, are you sure the rest of your computer is up to snuff?!
yeah, it's pretty decent.

P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE

aaaaa0 said:
Not much anymore. All good drives can read/write both.

- tends to be more compatible with DVD movie players.
+ is better for computer use.

At least that's what I remember.

But there are still plenty of drives being sold that don't support dual layer recording. Granted, media for this isn't readily available. But it's still what you want in the future.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
hmmm, that Pioneer one could be what I'm looking for. Anyone heard good or bad things about it? Or maybe you've got one yourself?

Hooker

I've got a 16x now, had a 4x about 6/7 years ago. NEVER had problems and does it's work flawlessly.

I reckon that more than 75% of the people with a DVD-rom in their rig has got a pioneer one

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have an external firewire DVD burner from Sony, which I paid way too much for (for my laptop, so internal not an option)

Is this practical to use with my upcoming purchase of a new desktop PC? I.e don't worry about speccing a DVD burner, just have the external connected permanently? I know its not a lot for an internal, but that money could go towards more memory.

Scrow said:
Am I making a mistake?

No. Pioneer models have been well regarded lately.

mrklaw said:
Is this practical to use with my upcoming purchase of a new desktop PC? I.e don't worry about speccing a DVD burner, just have the external connected permanently? I know its not a lot for an internal, but that money could go towards more memory.

What sort of data connection is involved? USB-DVD is probably going to run into problems, but Firewire-DVD is probably okay.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Since you're asking about burners, I'll go ahead and ask about media:

Is Taiyo Yuden still the best blank media manufacturer?

I asked in another thread but I don't remember anyone responding.

If you don't know about Taiyo Yuden, then you probably can't answer my question...Many disc "brands" come from a few manufacturers. I remember Taiyo Yuden always got excellent age testing scores on CDRs. Like 70 years, while others got as low as 2 years before corruption.

teh_pwn said:

I've never seen a DVD age testing score, but TY is definitely in the upper echelon of DVD blanks.

MoxManiac said:
Why would the USB version have problems? Doesn't USB 2.0 have like 480 Mb/s bandwidth or something?

bandwidth has nothing to do with it. Too many devices hitting up the USB system at the same time can. Maybe you'll be fine, but I'd hate to be trying to use the mouse and have a game like HL2 loading heavily off of disc at the same time.

teh_pwn said:
Since you're asking about burners, I'll go ahead and ask about media:

I asked in another thread but I don't remember anyone responding.

If you don't know about Taiyo Yuden, then you probably can't answer my question...Many disc "brands" come from a few manufacturers. I remember Taiyo Yuden always got excellent age testing scores on CDRs. Like 70 years, while others got as low as 2 years before corruption.
Taiyo Yuden is great on paper, but when you factor in price, everyone goes for good 'ol #2, Ritek...

Takuan

The Faceless Master said:
Taiyo Yuden is great on paper, but when you factor in price, everyone goes for good 'ol #2, Ritek...

Ritek quality is excellent if you're using a good disc. The warehouses have been known to produce bad batches of discs from time to time. Granted, you save more money in the long run but with Taiyo Yudens you're ALWAYS getting a good disc.

teh_pwn

What's a good price for blanks?

I just bought a 50 pack of DVDR-, 8X Taiyo Yuden for $30 at www.rima.com.

aerofx

What about this drive here? I notice that it says Micro Advantage brand on the bottom and that one is 29.99 after rebate as well. I don't have a dvd drive or burner either.

officemax.jpg

teh_pwn

I bought some Khypermedia CDRs before I knew about CDR quality at officemax last year. I was supposed to get $20 in mail-in rebates. I bought them 1 hour after the sale started, and sent the rebates in shortly after. Never got a damn cent back.

I haven't shopped anything officemax or khypermedia since.

Avoid that, and I don't think it's a good brand.

Get a Plextor, NEC, Pioneer, or Lite-on burner and some Taiyo Yuden DVDRs. People here say Ritek is good too, but I've never used them.

Blank media:

www.rima.com

Drives:

www.newegg.com
www.slickdeals.net (I just got that plextor deal from dellbusiness).

Takuan

Damn, $40 US for a Plextor is a steal. I'm currently looking at NEC or Pioneer drives, they seem to have the best writing quality. I'm waiting for Anandtech to put up their 16x DVD writer round-up to see which one they like best.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its firewire/USB2. Specifically bought because my laptop only has usb1, but it has firewire.

Any chance there is an internal compatible drive inside? i.e. could I rip the drive out and mount it in a desktop?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Pioneers are great. I have A06 an have never ever had a bad burn. And I burn DVD media a lot.

Are there any slot loading DVD burners out there?

mrklaw said:
its firewire/USB2. Specifically bought because my laptop only has usb1, but it has firewire.

Any chance there is an internal compatible drive inside? i.e. could I rip the drive out and mount it in a desktop?

If it looks like an internal drive in an enclosure, sure. Otherwise, just get a motherboard with firewire and you're set.

bionic77

Bump.

I am seriously considering getting that Phillips burner, but I have some questions.

I have a P4 2 Ghz with 512MB RDRAM, that should be more then enough to rip and burn dvds right?

Also, any new deals since the last post?

Top Bottom