• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend a Good PC Game for My 12-Hour Plane Ride

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Specs:

Dell D600 Laptop
1.4GHz
512MB Ram
MOBILITY RADEON 9000 32 MB

I also have a Joypad adapter that lets me use my PS2 controllers (which I do, for MAME).

I'm up for pretty much anything, though I'm quite fond of RPG & strategy/sim games. I'd love to get Sims2, but I doubt it will run very smoothly. I was looking at SimCity3000 Unlimited also, but I'm not really sure and I'd be up for any suggestions of a good 8-10 hour PC timekiller.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I heard SimCity 4 was incredibly difficult in terms of making money; that's why I was thinking of getting 3000 instead. I haven't played SimCity since 2000 however.

No One Lives Forever is always fun.

I'd also try and hunt out those old Lucas Arts adventure games. Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, etc. That's what I'd personally bring.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
AstroLad said:
I heard SimCity 4 was incredibly difficult in terms of making money; that's why I was thinking of getting 3000 instead. I haven't played SimCity since 2000 however.

I never had that problem in Sim City 4...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
commish said:
I never had that problem in Sim City 4...

People writing reviews on Amazon must be stupid (though to be fair, I have seen it alluded to in mainstream reviews too). Heh.

I wish the Ultima Collection were still being published, but I guess that's a whole hell of a lot more than 12 hours (maybe 12 months?):

uc_card.jpg

*drool*

AirBrian

AstroLad said:
Yes and no. You can’t go into 4 with the same strategy that’s worked in 2000 or 3000. So in that sense, yes, it is harder to make money. However, 4 creates a true metropolitan area unlike previous versions. In order to make money in 4, you must make surrounding cities (preferablly with a specialty) and connect them to each other. Now that’s putting it very simplistic, but you get the idea. Once you understand how 4 works, it's not hard to make money at all.

But for beginners, I’d say go with 3000 Unlimited – sounds like you would get more out of it for your current needs.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AirBrian said:
Yes and no. You can’t go into 4 with the same strategy that’s worked in 2000 or 3000. So in that sense, yes, it is harder to make money. However, 4 creates a true metropolitan area unlike previous versions. In order to make money in 4, you must make surrounding cities (preferablly with a specialty) and connect them to each other. Now that’s putting it very simplistic, but you get the idea. Once you understand how 4 works, it's not hard to make money at all.

But for beginners, I’d say go with 3000 Unlimited – sounds like you would get more out of it for your current needs.

I don't know, now 4 is sounding good. Damn you and your reverse psychology!

The other thing I was concerned about were the system requirements, I heard it takes forever to refresh, and my system's not exactly a horse.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
AstroLad said:

The other thing I was concerned about were the system requirements, I heard it takes forever to refresh, and my system's not exactly a horse.

I was going to mention that as well, but figured you knew about it. I'd get 3k over 4 because of the system resources needed for 4. Once your city gets some size to it...

Actually, I'd probably bring a gameboy.

Memles

AstroLad said:

It's my computer too...and it's been pretty decent for me thus far (Got mine through University. We all have them)

I have a copy of Sim City 4 here, but haven't tried it out...same with Return of the King. Wish I had a USB Controller for that one.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
commish said:
I was going to mention that as well, but figured you knew about it. I'd get 3k over 4 because of the system resources needed for 4. Once your city gets some size to it...

Actually, I'd probably bring a gameboy.

Beh, I have the old-style GBA and I can't stand it anymore, especially not when I have the entire MAME library on my lap and a PS2 pad to play it with. I've taken 4 3-day train rides across the country, and that is the only thing that gets me through it sanely; this should be cake compared to that, but I was just using it as an excuse to buy and play a new PC game (something which I do about once a year); I'm also using it as an excuse to buy ATHF Season 1. :p

AirBrian

AstroLad said:

:D

Yeah, 4 is pretty resource demanding if you want the highest details. I don’t think you’d have much trouble running it, but only on the lower settings. I’m not a laptop tech nut, so perhaps someone else could chime in. I do know that once your city gets some size, it can really bog down the PC.

Personally I love both, but for different reasons. It’s much more satisfying building a complex metropolitan area in 4, but it takes much longer, while 3000-U is perfect for the shorter sessions. I’d check out the reviews for both on IGN and GameSpot and see what sounds better for your needs.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ArcadeStickMonk said:
The Sims?

I could blow eight of those hours just constructing some guy's house.

Haha... yeah, actually that's the last PC game I bought. Played it on the car ride from Phx-NYC when I wasn't driving. That's why I'm bummed about not being able to run it properly most likely.

AstroLad said:
Haha... yeah, actually that's the last PC game I bought. Played it on the car ride from Phx-NYC when I wasn't driving. That's why I'm bummed about not being able to run it properly most likely.

The Sims is much older than your hardware. Now you start throwing on the more recent two-disc expansions and going to the heavily populated other areas and yeah, it's going to chop on even my Doom3-made system.

No reason you shouldn't be able to run this properly, should you choose it. Diablo2 is the better choice IMO.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ArcadeStickMonk said:
The Sims is much older than your hardware. Now you start throwing on the more recent two-disc expansions and going to the heavily populated other areas and yeah, it's going to chop on even my Doom3-made system.

No reason you shouldn't be able to run this properly, should you choose it. Diablo2 is the better choice IMO.

Sorry, I meant bummed about not being able to run Sims 2.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Crazymoogle said:
Er, 12 hours? Does the plane have some sort of AC adapter hookup or are you carrying some heavy duty extra batteries?

Well, it's actually two six hour rides, and I have two 4-hour batteries.

scola said:
Silent Storm

shhh! Don't say that shit out loud, man!

Takes a special kinda gamer to apprieciate this game for what it does do right and not start a "Why the balls aren't my characters leveling?" thread.

Just me and you, dig? Just you and me.

Also the 9000 won't push it.

SKluck

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:
shhh! Don't say that shit out loud, man!

Takes a special kinda gamer to apprieciate this game for what it does do right and not start a "Why the balls aren't my characters leveling?" thread.

Just me and you, dig? Just you and me.

Also the 9000 won't push it.

Did they fix the leveling in the expansion?

If you have someone else with you I'd say worms Armageddon.

Top Bottom