• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

Peterthumpa

Has anyone seem Remote Play working on the Z3 devices?

I wonder if the non-native resolution (720p stream vs 1080p display) makes it look worse than it looks on the Vita. Specially talking about the Z3 Tablet.

If it looks good on that, it's a concrete purchase for me.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
I find the direct connection kind of shitty myself. I have better results using wifi. I'm not sure the PS4 being wired actually makes much of a difference when it's in direct connect mode. Maybe turn it off and see what results you get.

Opening the appropriate ports in your router should also help. I'm not sure what kind of issues may arise on a university network either.

I just tried turning off direct connect and the vita can't find the PS4 at all. It takes a long time searching, and with no results. As I'm in the university network, I cannot change any of the ports or anything in my router. The thing is that with direct connect, it finds the PS4 in less than a minute, it has minimal latency, but then it completely disconnects within the minute.

Maybe my vita or PS4 is just faulty?

JCX

To counter this, I had to get rid of mine because it constantly tripped the breaker. So YMMV.

I tried two of these, the first messed with the breaker as well, but the second has been working fine for a few months now. May have something to do with how the house/apartment is wired, but I'm not knowledgeable to know for sure.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member

I wonder if the non-native resolution (720p stream vs 1080p display) makes it look worse than it looks on the Vita. Specially talking about the Z3 Tablet.

I wonder this myself. I like that little attachment that allows you to use the DS4 while using the Z3. Even then I'm not 100% sure on the specs (all with them fancy snapdragons and rams) I currently have a Moto X, but I'm not sure a Z3 phone would be a step up.

Either way, I probably won't get it any time soon as its unavailable for sprint :(

SeanR1221

I tried two of these, the first messed with the breaker as well, but the second has been working fine for a few months now. May have something to do with how the house/apartment is wired, but I'm not knowledgeable to know for sure.

FWIW, my house is new construction and only 2 years old. I just know I kept tripping it, and then I finally realized it was during heavy download/upload times (uploading saved videos, downloading big files, remote play, etc.)

LegoDad

FWIW, my house is new construction and only 2 years old. I just know I kept tripping it, and then I finally realized it was during heavy download/upload times (uploading saved videos, downloading big files, remote play, etc.)

What's the amperage of your breaker box? As you increase load the amperage increases and probably reaches a higher amperage than the breaker box allows. Just because it's new construction doesn't mean they put in a high enough amperage.

martbob

Neo Member
I was a big fan of the remote play (PS4) on my VITA. I tough it was like being there with the controller and big screen missing.

Now I bought a PSTV to have the best remote play experience but Im a little disapointed by the result. The input lag and FPS are in my opinion a BIG problem. FPS often drops below 30fps (not happening on vita). I only tried the remote play with destiny but I can say I can play no problem with my Vita but with pstv wired lag is a big problem.

My settings are 720p and wired pstv so it should be optimal. They have to fix this or explain why it can't be as good as the vita experience.

I also notice that my DS4 controller on my pstv doesnt always do what I do. Sometimes when I press left or right and I tried a lot of time. The pointer on screen goes diagonaly instead of left or right.

Anyone have suggestion for me ?

I've always had good remote play connection with Vita in my home, but the PSTV, with a wired connection, is ridiculously good, no noticeable lag and the picture looks great . When I first booted it up my PSTV was using something called Anynet to connect (wirelessly) to the TV, which seemed to cause a bit of lag but I turned that off in my TV settings and now it's perfect.

jwk94

I've always had good remote play connection with Vita in my home, but the PSTV, with a wired connection, is ridiculously good, no noticeable lag and the picture looks great . When I first booted it up my PSTV was using something called Anynet to connect (wirelessly) to the TV, which seemed to cause a bit of lag but I turned that off in my TV settings and now it's perfect.

It what? I'm so confused right now. The system connected wirelessly to the TV?

I think anynet is just samsungs branding on their HDMI-CEC implementation isn't it? Commands over HDMI, like power, navigation, volume etc.

I think anynet is just samsungs branding on their HDMI-CEC implementation isn't it? Commands over HDMI, like power, navigation, volume etc.

Maybe? One of the guys on Game Trailers made it sound like there was some wireless hubub going on or something, either way I found it tends to remote play better without that, whether it's coincidence or my own imagination.

Admodieus

Been researching the Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact as an alternative to a Vita, and it seems like it can handle remote play while on the same Wi-Fi network. What about when you're not on the same Wi-Fi network? Looking for a solution when I travel, especially around the holidays.

quetz67

Banned

This is not for those whining about 900p. The Image is rather soft missing quite some detail compared to the native 1080p. The low resolution of the Vita helps but still I prefer the 8" screen of the Z3 Tablet compact.

Had to switch off the WiFi energy saving feature on the Z3 to get an acceptable connection, not sure if there are more possible optimizations. But at least already have less connection problems than on Vita.

I don't know what on earth happened, but while PS4 2.00 made Remote Play better than it had ever been, absolutely rock-solid, 2.01 came and made it worse than it's ever been. Whether I'm on the same network or at work, it'll connect, be stable-ish for a minute, start to lose connection and display the connection problem image for a minute, and finally become a compressed nightmare and drop out. Trying to reconnect afterwards will fail about 50% of the time saying the connection might be "too slow." I just don't get it. Right after it was finally working as well as I wanted it to -_-

PS4 (Launch) is wired, Connect Directly is disabled. Vita (fatty), both at home and at work I'm near an access point and have an excellent connection.

inki

This is not for those whining about 900p. The Image is rather soft missing quite some detail compared to the native 1080p. The low resolution of the Vita helps but still I prefer the 8" screen of the Z3 Tablet compact.

Had to switch off the WiFi energy saving feature on the Z3 to get an acceptable connection, not sure if there are more possible optimizations. But at least already have less connection problems than on Vita.

EukbR47.jpg

No need, just do remote play on a Nexus 7 (or ANY android device) you can use a DS3 too. I have to really try it out other than in the house but it seems to work with a little lag.

Now this does require a rooted device, installing special software etc. So if your not interested in that, then I would consider the Xperia.

SmokyDave

Spent a while milling aimlessly around Los Santos last night, over RP. It was pretty damned fine. Not sure how well it'll hold up when things get frantic as it does use front and rear touch, but I'm pretty adept by now. Driving felt a bit 'off' at first due to the digital triggers, but still manageable.

There's a certain 'next gen' feeling that comes with playing GTA V on the Vita. It's fucking cool.

Will remote play ever be able to work at a games native frame rate? If not, what's the bottleneck? Does the Wii u/gamepad have some dedicated hardware that allows 60fps?

Spent a while milling aimlessly around Los Santos last night, over RP. It was pretty damned fine. Not sure how well it'll hold up when things get frantic as it does use front and rear touch, but I'm pretty adept by now. Driving felt a bit 'off' at first due to the digital triggers, but still manageable.

There's a certain 'next gen' feeling that comes with playing GTA V on the Vita. It's fucking cool.

I've been playing GTAV a lot via RP. Its fanfuckingtastic.

FPV mode was a bit hard at first but i've gotten used to it. I'm pulling off drivebys with ease now.

Omerta

Can anyone help out a techno-mong ?

I've set up my vita and ps4 directly in the ps4's settings but it's all a fairly hit and miss experience. I'll often get the symbol for a bad connection, drop a shit ton of frames and either come back in semi fluently later. This happens over and over again and (more often than not) improves a bit later.

I'm literally sat 2 metres away from the ps4.

Any hints for a remote play noob?

chuckycem

I never had playable performance by direct connection no matter what i did. On the other hand connection through my router is much much better.
Playing Strider lately and its a blast.

I must be the extreme version of the RP player. Because of my home context I only play my PS4 games through RP. My PS4 is in my room, not hooked to a TV. The direct connection is amazing (not surprising considering the proximity).
Games really shine on the OLED. And it's quite neat to switch from Danganronpa or Golden to GTAV and TLOU.

Omerta

Got a very noticeable bump in performance by making the vita forget my home network and connecting with the ps4 directly.

reKon

Banned
I often get the 'connection is too low' error when I'll be playing for maybe 5 mins before it drops. I'm using my Xperia Z3 Compact. Any suggestions? I'm using Linksys WRT54GL router and I'm thinking that I need to upgrade. 25 MBPs should be good enough for a solid connection, right?

DieH@rd

Banned
I often get the 'connection is too low' error when I'll be playing for maybe 5 mins before it drops. I'm using my Xperia Z3 Compact. Any suggestions? I'm using Linksys WRT54GL router and I'm thinking that I need to upgrade. 25 MBPs should be good enough for a solid connection, right?

Did you try direct connection between PS4 and Phone? You can set this up on PS4 [dashboard > Settings > Remote Play].

reKon

Banned
Did you try direct connection between PS4 and Phone? You can set this up on PS4 [dashboard > Settings > Remote Play].

Well this didn't help at all, but I did learn something interesting.

Without connecting my controller to the Xperia Z3 Compact, remote play actually started to work well! After connecting the controller to my phone via bluetooth, that's where I get the connection is too low error and remote play won't work. What in the fuck?

Well this didn't help at all, but I did learn something interesting.

Without connecting my controller to the Xperia Z3 Compact, remote play actually started to work well! After connecting the controller to my phone via bluetooth, that's where I get the connection is too low error and remote play won't work. What in the fuck?

I've seen several times before with phones that the BlueTooth and Wifi interfere with each other, so not that strange. Not sure if there's a good fix for this.

With the latest firmware updates by the way the direct connection to PS4 option for remote play seems to be fixed. That worked horribly for me before, but it now works flawlessly it seems. Also, my phone's 4G seems more than fast enough to do remote play reliably, which is amazing. Though obviously I'm not going to use that option that much, considering the data plans ... ;)

Can anyone help out a techno-mong ?

I've set up my vita and ps4 directly in the ps4's settings but it's all a fairly hit and miss experience. I'll often get the symbol for a bad connection, drop a shit ton of frames and either come back in semi fluently later. This happens over and over again and (more often than not) improves a bit later.

I'm literally sat 2 metres away from the ps4.

Any hints for a remote play noob?

I get this via direct connect. Solid game play for about 30 or 45 minutes before the connection drops out and I get the error icon for 15-30 seconds, then it resumes being solid. Still haven't been able to figure out why it does that.

These are probably very stupid questions....

Background:-

- We have x2 ps4's in the house. One for my son and one for me.
- The ps4 I use is downstairs.
- The ps4 my son uses is upstairs in his room.
- The ps4 downstairs (the one I use) is my son's PRIMARY PS4. I am but a user on this ps4 which I have also set as my Primary.
- My son plays mainly on his ps4 upstairs (not set up as his primary).
- We have a ps+ subscription which is via my son's account and via his PRIMARY PS4 downstairs (which I use).
= All this is done so only need x1 ps+ subscription and so we can share games.

Extremely Probable Stupid Questions:-

- Can I buy my son a Vita and can he do remote play if I AM ALREADY ON THE PS4 DOWNSTAIRS (my son's primary ps4)?

- Can I buy a Vita also and do remote play via MY account (on the ps4 downstairs which is my son's Primary ps4)?
- Can I also use online play via my son's ps+ subscription which is on the ps4 downstairs on MY account?

Thanks guys/gals.

This is confusing as fuck :)

You register your Vita with a specific PS4, so I think it should be possible. As long as the account you can run your games on on the PS4 is also the one you use on the Vita, I think it should also work remotely?

You register your Vita with a specific PS4, so I think it should be possible. As long as the account you can run your games on on the PS4 is also the one you use on the Vita, I think it should also work remotely?

Thanks.

So my son would register his vita via his ps4 upstairs. He would then be using his vita in remote play just as he would as if he turned 'that' ps4 on?

I could register a vita to the one downstairs and do it as if I was controlling 'that' ps4?

OOOooooo. This sounds real nice.

Would be great if anyone can confirm this for sure?

Thanks again Maastricht.

I've been remote playing quite a bit the last few days as i finally bought a PS4 game and could not hog the TV over the whole holiday.

Impressions are about the same as the Resogun test drives I've taken. Compromised experience in every way but it works for the most part. Not surprisingly, though i did use it a lot over the weekend, i ended up preferring to play Vita games instead of remote play PS4 games.

DieH@rd

Banned
These are probably very stupid questions....

Background:-

- We have x2 ps4's in the house. One for my son and one for me.
- The ps4 I use is downstairs.
- The ps4 my son uses is upstairs in his room.
- The ps4 downstairs (the one I use) is my son's PRIMARY PS4. I am but a user on this ps4 which I have also set as my Primary.
- My son plays mainly on his ps4 upstairs (not set up as his primary).
- We have a ps+ subscription which is via my son's account and via his PRIMARY PS4 downstairs (which I use).
= All this is done so only need x1 ps+ subscription and so we can share games.

Extremely Probable Stupid Questions:-

- Can I buy my son a Vita and can he do remote play if I AM ALREADY ON THE PS4 DOWNSTAIRS (my son's primary ps4)?

- Can I buy a Vita also and do remote play via MY account (on the ps4 downstairs which is my son's Primary ps4)?
- Can I also use online play via my son's ps+ subscription which is on the ps4 downstairs on MY account?

Thanks guys/gals.

This is confusing as fuck :)

Having two PS4, two vitas and trying to share things between them is not a easy task on PS4... If I'm not mistaken, this is how the situations is:

#1 Remote Play works only between Vita and PS4 that has activated account. Because both accounts are activated on the console that is downstairs, that is where the both Vitas will want to connect to. Registration process that is mentioned above is important, but Vita will not connect to PS4 that has non-activated account.

#2 Yes, you will be able to connect to your Vita to your downstairs PS4.

#3 Your Vita account will not have PS+, but when you start RP from your downstairs PS4, you will access your full PS4 account. That includes PS+ that is shared by your sons account. You can RP all your games, including those who have online components.

If you want two Vitas to connect to two home consoles, you have to move activated sons account to be upstairs. That will also force you to purchase another PS+ sub if you want both PS4 consoles to have access to online gaming. If you are purchasing half of your games on one account and half on another, that is also a problem...
which can be fixed with the time honored tradition of "ghost accounts". Not exactly legal, but it can help you.

Having two PS4, two vitas and trying to share things between them is not a easy task on PS4... If I'm not mistaken, this is how the situations is:

#1 Remote Play works only between Vita and PS4 that has activated account. Because both accounts are activated on the console that is downstairs, that is where the both Vitas will want to connect to. Registration process that is mentioned above is important, but Vita will not connect to PS4 that has non-activated account.

#2 Yes, you will be able to connect to your Vita to your downstairs PS4.

#3 Your Vita account will not have PS+, but when you start RP from your downstairs PS4, you will access your full PS4 account. That includes PS+ that is shared by your sons account. You can RP all your games, including those who have online components.

If you want two Vitas to connect to two home consoles, you have to move activated sons account to be upstairs. That will also force you to purchase another PS+ sub if you want both PS4 consoles to have access to online gaming. If you are purchasing half of your games on one account and half on another, that is also a problem...
which can be fixed with the time honored tradition of "ghost accounts". Not exactly legal, but it can help you.

Thanks DieH@rd.

Wounded.

#1. So it needs to be an Activated Primary Account on 'that' PS4 for the Vita (or presumably a Z3 or whatnot) to connect. Therefore, although my son could 'register' his Vita to his ps4 'upstairs', because it's not the 'Activated Primary', it wouldn't work.

Although, he could change his 'upstairs' ps4 to 'Activated Primary', that would mean we would no longer be able to share games and ps+ between us - unless I used that 'other' technique which, although sounds great, wouldn't really work from a convenience point of view and the way we game with each other etc..

#2, #3. Sounds great for me to use RP but I'd sacrifice my option of being able to do it, if my son could.

I presume this would mean that he could use the 'downstairs' ps4 for his remote play but that would mean 'I wouldn't be able to use this ps4 at the same time'?

Also, does this mean that if I'd have done things differently in the beginning, as in swapped who had the primary account (me as primary in his room with me a ps+ subscriber but I played the ps4 downstairs), then he in effect would have been able to use the remote play like I could do in the way we have it set up already (see your #2, #3)?

? = double wounded!

reKon

Banned
Guys if you're having issues, make sure to use a 5ghz capable router and use that for your wifi instead of 2.4 ghz and disable location mode if you're using an Xperia device.

reKon

Banned
Got my Archer C7 last night. I can finally use Plex and it's pretty awesome. Also remote play works flawlessly on the 5ghz band (although I'm pretty close to the router)

Just a quick reply to my previous posts and referring to info/help already posted to help any others that might need to know this: (please read previous posts for my issues).

- Bought a Vita.

- Set up as my Son's account and connected to Upstairs PS4.
= all worked fine, including online to 'that' ps4 which is what I wanted so great stuff.

- Restored Vita because I wanted to see if I could Remote Play on my account and connected to Downstairs PS4.
= all worked fine, including online to 'my' ps4 which is what I wanted so great stuff.

Basically, this means that as long as I have a separate device (vita or xperia etc), we can both Remote Play, including online, on our respective PS4's whilst still having the ability to share games and ps+ in the manner we are already doing.

Brilliant!

ps.
As a separate issue, sent Vita back and looking to get Xperia Z3 Tablet because:-

- Needed to be able to Remote Play throughout the house as opposed to Direct Connection which worked fantastic. Almost no noticeable lag. In fact, GTA5 seemed to control better on the Vita because the deadzones seemed better than a DS4! Direct Connection only worked when close to PS4. Vita via home wi-fi wasn't good enough and just about a 'bit' too laggy for me.

- Only got 2.4ghz router but now looking to buy 5ghz so can use Xperia Z3 Tablet which I'm hoping will give similar results to Direct Connection via 5ghz because Vita only supports 2.4ghz (or at least not 802.11ac).

- I did consider buying a handgrip for Vita but would still be faced with only 2.4ghz via home wifi when Direct Connection won't really be what I want (although I'd love the quality of Direct Connection! - its as good as the WiiU Gamepad minus the 30fps).

- Shame gonna miss some Vita games I've just purchased such as Tearaway (will have to cope with ps4 version coming but fear it won't 'quite' be as good) and LBP (not interested in the ps4 version, especially at the price, and reckon the Vita version is the one for me). A few other games I'm gonna miss but hey ho....

Vita seems like a really nice machine but I really think Sony missed the 'point'. For me it is predominantly the ergonomics and design factor with perhaps price, target market and not enough differential coming second which seems to be the main parts that are misguided. Whilst great for a handheld playing certain kind of games, imo just wasn't thought out enough for certain types of games, including Remote Play. The fact I would 'have' to buy a handgrip says everything 'unless' they made more games like Tearaway & LBP Vita which work well within the design of the machine.

Either they had designed a Vita with grips (like a DS3/4), clickable analogues and extra shoulder buttons which was aimed at a market which predominantly wanted a mobile console experience with Remote Play on top or they made a machine which didn't but whose games and functions (no Remote Play perhaps) were made to take advantage of a machine that didn't have them.

I realise that there is obviously many games the Vita has which are in no way evolved around needing clickable analogues etc but I just can't help thinking it's identity has not been realised enough for what it can do different.

I'd be up for a Vita 2 which had a clear identity that's for sure or even better still, one which acts as a portable playstation and whatever magic Sony could come up with - as long as it's designed like that from the beginning. Not sure we'll see another handheld though from Sony unless they feel they could market a product that has an appeal outside and as well as gaming. Perhaps a large screen tablet (min 8"-10") so could be used as a Tablet, mixed with a DS4 so could be used as a Gaming Machine which 'somehow' blended into each other so it 'looked' AND 'operated' separately dependant on that persons use at the time. Folding up somehow into a nice, sleek device that you could even fit in your pocket wouldn't go a miss either! lol! I bet this is possible!!!

Just got a new router today and my remote play performance is much better. It does kick me out after about 50 seconds though and I can't figure out why :(

I love my remote play for Destiny, except that my microwave apparently breaks my wifi.

Seriously, you can see the screen chug and freeze, then kick me off whenever my microwave is used. On the plus side, it's really efficient at making popcorn.

reKon

Banned
How fast of an internet speed would you need if you wanted to try to connect while out of state? Does it need to be fast on both ends?

Guys, considering getting a vita slim (had the OG before). Any difference between the original vita and slim version when it comes to remote play? Any benefit of going one over the other in this regard? Apologies if this is the 100th time it's been asked.

DieH@rd

Banned
RP is 100% same on both versions of the Vita.

New vita has better battery life, it is lighter, thinner and has standard USB port for charging. It's display is little worse than OLED, but if you have never seen OLED model you will never have problems with it.

Top Bottom