• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony’s Firesprte Dark Horror Game to Be From an Established IP, Potentially Releasing on PC Day One

Draugoth

Gold Member
Firesprite horror

Report via M1PST

Currently, PlayStation Studios has a large number of unannounced projects in the works, one of them being a single-player narrative horror project developed by the studio Firesprite, which was acquired by Sony in 2021.

Although we know little to nothing about this game officially, over the years rumors and leaks have emerged around this project, such as an internal document that would reveal the game’s codename being “Heartbreak”, and statements from insider Colin Moriarty, who claimed in a podcast that the game could be set on an island and have a female protagonist.

Now we will talk about some discoveries related to the game’s release platforms, the specific genre, and the possibility of resurrection of an old PlayStation franchise.

The first discovery comes from the website of Firesprite’s Game Designer, Emily Stell, who lists the project as “Narrative Horror Title”, with the platforms being PS5 and PC. PlayStation porting their exclusive games to PC has become an increasingly common practice, and it is not strange to think that Firesprite’s next game will not be an exception, but seeing PC already listed as a platform makes us think about the possibility of a simultaneous release on PS5 and PC, something more characteristic of multiplayer games like Concord or Helldivers 2. Whether this is the case or not, it lets us know that a PC release is already planned.

fs1.png.webp

One speculation that has been circulating about this game is the possibility that it’s not a new IP, but an existing one, an idea that has been fueled in the past by reputable insider Jason Schreier, hinting on Reddit that it wouldn’t be new. All of this gains strength thanks to another discovery made in the resume of writer Ren Alex-Rose, who worked for Firesprite from 2022 until April of this year. In her resume she mentions having worked designing characters and plot lines “within pre-established IP”, confirming long-held suspicions.

fs2.png.webp

Now, which horror IP could she be referring to? We can’t answer this question without first linking all of this to one more thing.

This discovery takes us to an unusual place, to the Pinterest profile of the Environment Artist Andréas Houin, who currently works at Firesprite. In his pins section we can see different types of illustrations, ranging from Architecture to Sci-Fi, and the part that concerns us, illustrations of cosmic horror. Could this be the type of horror that the game will use? We can only speculate, as they could be just for drawing references not related to the project.

fs3.jpg.webp

The Revival of a Dormant Saga?​

In more than one place, the project is referred to as a game with a “branching narrative”, which makes us think that the game could be related to Until Dawn, but if we talk about cosmic horror, another PlayStation franchise comes to mind that leans more towards that genre and has not received a new installment for more than 16 years, we are talking about the Siren franchise, created by the now-defunct Japan Studio. This survival horror IP had 3 titles released between 2003 and 2008, but would be set aside after the last title failed to meet expectations. Both the first and second titles make use of fantastic and terrifying creatures in their stories, with the second title making greater emphasis on this aspect and which, curiously, is set on an island.

Forbidden-Siren™.jpg.webp

It will probably still be some time before this game gets officially revealed, but these details help us shorten the wait. When we know more details, we will keep you informed.

Last edited:

Killer8

Siren made by British weebs.

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

I mean on one hand, nice if the franchise is still alive. And i'd wonder if they might be doing a VR version (sight-jacking in VR could be incredible.) But I have zero faith in a Western studio taking on an IP with a very distinctly Japanese flavor.

CamHostage

That is siren fuck yeah

So, explain the fuck-yeah about this possibly being Siren, because I never got that series...

The first two PS2 games were notable for their curious Japanese design choices (especially the weird but cool character face scans, ) but the gameplay was obtuse and plodding IMO. Then they remade it in UE episodic PS3 DL era, and it was more modern and less clunky but it lost a lot of the quirky charm in the process.

And this would-be new remake by a UK development team would further distance itself from the original aesthetic and assumedly would shear off more of the unique edges in order to try to make a hit. (It would also be done without Toriyama, as his team is busy with Slitherhead.)

What am I missing about Siren that would be a charm the third time?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Ehhh… every Sony game is probably developed for “PS5, PC”, someone’s personal website is like a resume so they’ll list that stuff regardless of staggered release plans.

Killer8

So, explain the fuck-yeah about this possibly being Siren, because I never got that series. The first two PS2 games were notable for their curious Japanese design choices (especially the weird but cool character face scans, ) but the gameplay was obtuse and plodding IMO. Then they remade it in UE episodic PS3 DL era, and it was more modern and less clunky but it lost a lot of the quirky charm in the process.

The first Siren was terrible. You'll get Youtubers who say it's a classic who played maybe 15 minutes of it. I am willing to go out on a limb and call anyone who claims to have finished that game without a guide a liar.

Siren 2 was a lot more streamlined and a much better game as a result. It fixed almost everything by just telling you what needs to be done with hints and map markers. It's everything the first game should've been.

Blood Curse took that streamlining even further by making it a purely linear game without the weird mission select system - and was even better for it. The atmosphere is just amazing in that game with no stupid design choices to take you out of it.

simpatico

Gold Member
How much joy do console owners get from their games being exclusive? Twitter Sony bro's are big mad about this. I imagine a guy sitting on his bean bag chair playing Horizon Zero Dawn. He just unlocked a new headdress for Aloy. He smirks to himself: "PC gamers can't get their grubby little hands on this turquoise beauty". If the game releases the same day on Playstation, I don't see what the big deal is.

Last edited:

Fabieter

How much joy do console owners get from their games being exclusive? Twitter Sony bro's are big mad about this. I imagine a guy sitting on his bean bag chair playing Horizon Zero Dawn. He just unlocked a new headdress for Aloy. He smirks to himself: "PC gamers can't get their grubby little hands on this turquoise beauty". If the game releases the same day on Playstation, I don't see what the big deal is.

It's not a big deal but sony must know that this is one reason because sales starting to lack and will get even worse as times goes on and more and more day and dates coming along.

Could Firesprite even pull off a Siren game? The old Siren games are steeped in Japanese horror; I imagine a Western team trying to recreate that will be like the Americanized Ring films. Or the Western takes on Silent Hill games. AKA from mediocre to "pretty decent", but nothing really touching the original Japanese versions.

Also if it's gonna be PC Day 1...if there are still people holding out that the big AAA traditional games don't go Day 1 by the end of the gen, they might be on some bad drugs. But if that happens, I also see 3P exclusives disappearing too, for multiple reasons. So people thinking those'd make up for 1P games not being timed exclusive anymore, might be on some slightly less bad drugs.

i tried to replay siren: blood curse a month back, but the game was so damn dark (even at the brightest setting) that i couldn't see shit. i'm so less tolerant than i used to be...

peronmls

That is Haraydori Housing Settlement from Siren: Blood Curse. Where did that banner come from? Only The Siren Team can make their own game.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Siren could be interesting, but this a is a British studio right?

Maybe it'll be one of their dormant, long forgotten western IPs from the ps2 era.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Why are most of these recent topic titles terribly misspelled? Not grammar errors so much, but also actual company names. There are a few today. Is the TC so excited to create a new topic that they just fat-finger the keyboard? Or are they just not the brightest bulb in the box, and can't proofread their own topic?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Why are most of these recent topic titles terribly misspelled? Not grammar errors so much, but also actual company names. There are a few today. Is the TC so excited to create a new topic that they just fat-finger the keyboard? Or are they just not the brightest bulb in the box, and can't proofread their own topic?

OP is drunk and not a native English speaker. Tries to create as many topics across the internet as possible for attention... It's actually a really sad story.

Top Bottom