• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reporter Who Quit On Air in Support of Pot Legalization Facing 54 Years in Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't smoke at all and never will but I'll never understand how weed is illegal but alcohol isn't when alcohol is the cause of thousands of deaths each year and is abused by millions, it's also objectively a worse drug.
We tried making alcohol illegal.

It didn't work.

Mendrox

Better lock up all those pot smokers. Everyone knows that they are basically murderers.

Give me a fucking break. This country is such a joke.

Correct. Include the awesome guns in that country, the countless murdered black people by police who should protect (lol these losers get shaken up even when someone doesnt have a weapon! and the workaholics where companies dont give you enough vacation like other people in this world. Please.

Trump will be president too wont he?

They may have targeted her, but she did jump the gun and what she was doing was illegal. She could've waited till the law passed.
And of course no one takes the full sentence- if she even gets jail time.

54 years and a rapist gets 3 months
Hilarious in the most morbid of ways
Which is exactly why drug criminalization laws need serious reevaluation. They are archaic and cancerous birth of the dark 'war on drugs' era that erupted after the civil rights movement.
No one should ever be jailed for selling a goddamn vegetable.

The sentence is ludicrous.

That being said, she was definitely in the wrong. She was reporting on a business that she was secretly the head of? She was running a "club" that was basically an illegal drug selling operation, one that was popular enough that she had four siblings working on it with her?

No matter your opinion on pot, she was way way wrong, and I don't buy the whole "I'm doing it to help medical marijuana users" schtick. I suspect she was making bank big time.

It's not illegal though

Thank goodness such a dangerous criminal is going to be locked up

She's about to be made an example (unfortunately, any one unfortunate enough to be an example will have their lives ruined - like serious, 54 years? your life is pretty much over by the time you leave).

Blackage

She didn't have a license to sell recreational weed, so it was illegal.

She should've been fined though. Prison time is ridiculous.

Our drug laws are retarded, she's basically being treated like a drug kingpin for the overall quantity of weed involved.

therealjay

Neo Member
I highly highly doubt this women is going to jail for 54 years. In fact I'd be surprised if she ends up with any jail time.

If I'm not mistaken their is precedence that if a law is about to be changed judges will tend to drop cases against people that broke the law during the same period.

I could be wrong and all that but I really doubt she ends up in jail.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
benji actually arguing the liberal position on this issue?

What a time to be alive.

Kite

lol So much hand-wringing over the 54 years thing, yall know that is the max possible sentence right?

Instead of eight counts for a total of 24 years in prison, she is facing 14 offenses for a possible 54 years.
For example in Cali the max fine for speeding is over $600, but most people aren't paying anything near that. I swear people fall for this hyperbole in news articles every single time.

Foffy

Banned
They may have targeted her, but she did jump the gun and what she was doing was illegal. She could've waited till the law passed.
And of course no one takes the full sentence- if she even gets jail time.

Which is exactly why drug criminalization laws need serious reevaluation. They are archaic and cancerous birth of the dark 'war on drugs' era that erupted after the civil rights movement.
No one should ever be jailed for selling a goddamn vegetable.

I know he's banned, but this needs to be challenged.

She's black.

If anyone is getting full jail time, it's blacks. Just because of skin tone. Don't be naive and assume it won't happen: look around and see how likely it is to happen.

I am so grateful to live in a state that legalized Marijuana.

Being able to walk into a store and browse the product, then get home and fire up a bowl without any fear of consequences is incredible.

I'm shocked that people are still being arrested for being in possession of a plant.

Toparaman

Banned
I am so grateful to live in a state that legalized Marijuana.

Being able to walk into a store and browse the product, then get home and fire up a bowl without any fear of consequences is incredible.

I'm shocked that people are still being arrested for being in possession of a plant.

I really hope legalization passes this year in California. I don't even know if I would start using it again (lost interest years ago), but I think alcohol consumption is out of control in this country, and it would be nice to have a legal alternative.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm in Alaska, and there's *a lot* of people really stretching or breaking the law right now. So yes she's in the wrong, but I don't see why she should be the one taking all the punishment. Also I blame the state for dragging their ass. It's been legal almost 2 years, and there's still no where to buy it legally.

M3d10n

It'll be legalized... as soon as they work out how to prevent blacks from getting into the business when it does.

don't forget that sweet, sweet pharmaceutical company money. can't have people medicating themselves with something you can grow in your back yard when they can just prescribe them oxy or hydrocodone! seriously, fuck this and anyone who supports it. disgusting.

Don't forget the cotton industry as well.

Chumly

She didn't have a license to sell recreational weed, so it was illegal.

She should've been fined though. Prison time is ridiculous.
Yea. Prison time is ricidulous. They should have given her a large fine and then barred her from getting a license for like 2-3 years or something as punishment.

Rembrandt

Banned
She broke the laws. Yes cannabis is now legal here in Alaska, but she wasn't following the rules setup to govern the process. Hell, no legal product has been sold to date.

She has very little good will in the state because she's the one breaking laws while others are trying to prove we can follow laws like adults.

Doesn't deserve any jail time but she should be fined and excluded from opening a site for a year.

while i think even your sentencing is a little much (personally, i think just a fine and halting her business until they're all open would be enough), it's definitely a lot more reasonable.

54 years for weed, lmao. what an obvious abuse of power.

Brakke

Banned
You guys need to stop using the term "legalized". Everywhere you can buy marijuana in America, states have "regulated" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom